What's new

Show off your sub!!! (1 Viewer)

Geno

Supporting Actor
ANTHONY, the rendering doesnt come close to representing how good your speakers look.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Gomie,

Nice Rack.. Woo Hoo! :)

Why not go for the "High End" Tubes on floor look though?

I mean it's your own little 3D world you can put happy
clouds anywhere [/Bob Ross] :D

Eric Eash

Second Unit
how much time does one of those 3D renderings take? would you make one for me if i say, give you some cash through paypal. it'd be fun for you too. i've just started building my sub, but this is what i'm picturing as final product. dual AV15 sub, standing 48" high (not including spikes), 38" deep, 24" wide. woofers on top with a 3 1/2"x 22" slotted port near the bottom. front speaker baffle a dark rosewood, cherry, or mahogany finish, the rest of the cabinet a gloss black with rounded corners. once i have it done, i'll post pics, but it would be cool to see what i'm envisioning come to life. [email protected]

eric

Paul Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Spencer
how much time? ... well it depends what info you have. if you have a section drawing you can throw together a 3d model in minutes. In my case I already have the AV12, it would be quick and easy to make a basic version of the AV15. It would take longer to get the magnet and every detail exactly right, but to make a simple one that will look convincing in a box ... its very quick.

I'd be happy to help with some images of your sub, then you could get them up on my DIY sub website! ;)

I like to edit my renderings after generating them, in a similar way that I enhance photos. There's a little extra magic that happens in Photoshop :emoji_thumbsup:

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Paul,

Yep PhotoShop rules :) I do my lighting effects in Photo
Shop usually..

As far as doing a simple rendering.. I wish I could do that!

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Mine are not as beautiful as most I see here but never the less are DIY.:eek:
I could not post direct links to the photos (my free web hosting will not alow it) so you will have to visit my site, sorry!
If anyone knows a easy web hosting that will let me link I will do that, I tried angelfire but not smart enough to make a page.:b

The subs are 15" Dayton Quatro's, and a Rythmic 350watt plate amp. I am impressed with the combo.:D
Link Removed
Sorry for the "Pop Ups"!

Wes

Paul Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Spencer
Wes,

very nice setup!!! ... no need to be so humble!
With a setup like that you really don't notice how the speakers look, the lighting looks great

I think most of us without a room like that have to make our subs look good or they might get exiled to someplace not particularly suited to audio!!!

aside: your lady has a lot on her hands, four boys (or is that five) with very expensive toys!

cheers,
Paul

Paul Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Spencer
MY DIY subwoofer gallery is now online and improved!

In this thread a number of HTF users displayed images and info on their subs. Now I have put some together a gallery of 8 subs ranging from an 8" budget sub to an 18" monster!

The gallery is here:
DIY sub gallery

RodN

Stunt Coordinator
The subs are 15" Dayton Quatro's, and a Rythmic 350watt plate amp. I am impressed with the combo. Link Removed Sorry for the "Pop Ups"!
Wes great HT setup.

Paul, did you still want people's DIY on your site? I just recently did a Sonotube which I'm very happy with ( Link Here but you mentioned that you want something different and Sonotubes are pretty well documented.

PS: Fantastic site you have done there!

Paul Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Spencer
Rod,

thanks for the feedback :)

As there are a lot of shiva/tempest sonosubs out there, I'm now limiting new additions to either different and exotic designs or drivers that are less commonly seen. As you say, there are already a lot of Tempest sonosubs. Also your website is already well put together and concise, and it would be easier for me to add a link. I intend to add to my link section to make it extensive.

Here's some subs that I would most like to add:

- dipole subs
- bass horns
- subs with unique construction and styling
- as sonosubs are so often done on the web, I'd limit any sonosubs to either something with a very impressive driver or a TL, or a push pull dual driver design
- subs with these drivers: Stryke HE15 & AV series, Adire Brahma, Tumult and Maelstrom, Blueprint, RE Audio (formerly resonant engineering) and possibly also Peerless XLS, Dayton Titanic Mk3 ... or any other high performance sub drivers that aren't so frequently documented on the web

I want this site to have plenty of variety and be a good place for people to stop by to get some ideas as to what they want to do with their DIY sub. So people might drop by and go away thinking "hmmmm, hadn't considered doing that before ..." ... we often build a variation of something we have seen, and this is why so many DIY subs are so much alike. So I want this site to be inspiration to build something a little different.

Eric Eash

Second Unit
none of the pics would come up for me. i'd like to get my sub added, but let me take some better pics first.

eric

Paul Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Spencer
Eric,

Great sub (had a look at your site), I definately want some AV series subs there ... you can email the text to me via the link here (pls be sure to see the format on my site)

I have been having bandwidth issues; this hasn't been a problem until now, the traffic is now too high. Someone suggested that I get all the images hosted with another host. So this is what I have done, haven't had a chance to check it yet due to restricted traffic.

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
Paul, the site looks great, and so do your speakers and sub! (the pictures I could see at least).

I'd be happy to be in your links section too whenever you get it going.

Aaron Gilbert

Second Unit
Paul,

Nice site and nice thread that has been revived here, lots of cool subwoofers! I don't know if mine qualifies as something you might be looking for, but take a look at my web site and let me know (or just take a look - ok either way). :) Of course, now that I say that, this thread has got me thinking again of redesigning my subwoofer to better match the rest of my speakers. My subwoofer uses the Dayton 15" Quatro, but for all intents and purposes, it models just like a Tempest only with lower Xmax.

http://www.aaroncgilbert.com/emeraldtitan.html

Aaron Gilbert

Paul Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Spencer
Aaron,

Thanks for the comments. I could put your sub in as a cheaper alternative to the Tempest. Send me some text and images and I'll put it in.

cheers,

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks