What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Shout Factory Press Release: Clive Barker's Nightbreed The Director's Cut Limited Edition (1 Viewer)

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
bgart13 said:
Anyhow... maybe this will cool your nerves a bit. Someone wrote this post about the audio for the Cabal Cut. Take it for what it's worth:"No. The Audio (ADR, Foley and Soundtrack) was newly created from scratch independent of the final source for the new scenes.So in short: it's not the audio from the VHS tape, and it's not on-set audio from the 35mm trims.Barker and his team had that done before Shout got in on it."EDIT: It seem this description of the audio may indeed not be too far off from the truth, from what I may have heard since I posted it... ;)
bgart13 said:
Then there's this evidence of past work that was done for the Cabal Cut...
Clearly, if this is an indication of what the Cabal Cut audio really is, then the situation is better than I imagined.

Unfortunately, that's nor how Cliff makes it sound, when he talks about "sweetening" the audio to make it sound "as good as the rest of the film [which is coming from the new HD scan of the WB Interpositive]".

It might have behooved him to mention if Seraphim went to the trouble to re-record at least some of the audio in 2012, when they were trying to get the Cabal Cut released. Because the impression I got from the podcast was that they were just going to splice-in audio from a Cabal Cut VHS tape and "sweeten" it.

Plus, we still have the issue of some scenes apparently not having audio at all. Unless we have specific circumstances (like an actor who has died), it seems a shame that Seraphim and Shout! wouldn't be able to get people back in to re-do audio for the newly discovered footage Barker wants to put in.

So I am still hesitant, but more optimistic, now.

And I don't know what to think about this increase from 5,000 to 10,000 copies, but I'm going to choose to simply be happy for those others who will now be able to get a copy.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"And I don't know what to think about this increase from 5,000 to 10,000 copies, but I'm going to choose to simply be happy for those others who will now be able to get a copy."Yes, it's interesting that some people (who already have their copy) are actually "angry" that more people are now been able to buy the LE set. Perhaps with this set and some of those (upcoming) TT re-releases, people are starting to learn that nothing is really "limited" for good.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Jari K said:
Yes, it's interesting that some people (who already have their copy) are actually "angry" that more people are now been able to buy the LE set. Perhaps with this set and some of those (upcoming) TT re-releases, people are starting to learn that nothing is really "limited" for good.
This is what i hate to see, the angry people are the one's selling it for silly inflated prices on Ebay, i am glad they are pressing more. Check the link below, this gets ridiculous at times, it happens everytime there is a limited edition blu ray.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xnightbreed+blu+ray&_nkw=nightbreed+blu+ray&_sacat=0&_from=R40

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Jari K said:
Yes, it's interesting that some people (who already have their copy) are actually "angry" that more people are now been able to buy the LE set.
I think there's some people who are so sick that their enjoyment comes mostly from having something that others can't have. Of course, what does it say about me that I enjoy that those guys are getting screwed this time? :)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Jari K said:
"And I don't know what to think about this increase from 5,000 to 10,000 copies, but I'm going to choose to simply be happy for those others who will now be able to get a copy."Yes, it's interesting that some people (who already have their copy) are actually "angry" that more people are now been able to buy the LE set. Perhaps with this set and some of those (upcoming) TT re-releases, people are starting to learn that nothing is really "limited" for good.
FoxyMulder said:
This is what i hate to see, the angry people are the one's selling it for silly inflated prices on Ebay, i am glad they are pressing more. Check the link below, this gets ridiculous at times, it happens everytime there is a limited edition blu ray.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xnightbreed+blu+ray&_nkw=nightbreed+blu+ray&_sacat=0&_from=R40
I'm the one that posted a dig about the them adding more. I have no problem with them adding more to sell, I think this limited edition stuff is a stupid model. You expect to pay a premium since it's limited edition. If they keep adding to the amount that is limited, then they should adjust the price to reflect it.

They wont, and I'm not actually bent out of shape about it. It's just bullshit marketing that doesn't really need to happen.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"You expect to pay a premium since it's limited edition."I don't like this LE business either, but at least this set was available in Amazon (discount from the msrp). I mean you didn't have to "hurry!!!" and get it from the Shout's store in premium price.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Jari K said:
"You expect to pay a premium since it's limited edition."I don't like this LE business either, but at least this set was available in Amazon (discount from the msrp). I mean you didn't have to "hurry!!!" and get it from the Shout's store in premium price.
We didn't know who was going to carry it on the initial announcement. Genre faves like "Christine" that were sold as idiotic limited editions and sold out within an hour.

Criticize me all you want, I'm sure I'm not the only one that jumped on it.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
I should've said "I mean PEOPLE didn't have to", instead of "you". That's what I meant.Of course I understand the "hurry!!" aspect also. Been there, done that. But I also understand the re-release business. If something sells, why not print it more?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Jari K said:
But I also understand the re-release business. If something sells, why not print it more?
If they have the ability and licence to do that then why not indeed, stops those Ebay scammers charging $200 each for them.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Jari K said:
I should've said "I mean PEOPLE didn't have to", instead of "you". That's what I meant.Of course I understand the "hurry!!" aspect also. Been there, done that. But I also understand the re-release business. If something sells, why not print it more?
I have no problem with that either. Like I said, the limited edition model is stupid.

And yes, I understand that in many cases, like with TT, the limited edition model is necessary to get the titles produced. I still think it's stupid. :P

T

thebeekeeper

I've actually cancelled my pre-order for the not so Limited Edition . More than double the price of the standard edition for just one disc was a bit expensive but as it was Limited I bit the bullet.
Now they've doubled the run the markup is simply not worth it

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
thebeekeeper said:
I've actually cancelled my pre-order for the not so Limited Edition . More than double the price of the standard edition for just one disc was a bit expensive but as it was Limited I bit the bullet.
Now they've doubled the run the markup is simply not worth it
So you just want the film and not the extra content. ? Otherwise i'm not sure why ( not so ) limited makes a difference if you want the film unless you plan on selling it and are hoping to get a better price due to the limited edition status of the title.

T

thebeekeeper

FoxyMulder said:
So you just want the film and not the extra content. ? Otherwise i'm not sure why ( not so ) limited makes a difference if you want the film unless you plan on selling it and are hoping to get a better price due to the limited edition status of the title.
The standard edition already includes extras.
Part of the LE was just one extra disc albeit loaded with extras.
Part of the reason people pay a premium price for certain titles , such as Twilight Time is because of the LE status .
You know that if or when there is a reason to sell the title it should always maintain a reasonable price level unlike standard mass produced titles. How many would pay $30 for a TT release if they were not LE?

For example - I'm not a massive fan of steelbooks but if a steelbook version of a movie comes out at the same time as its regular version I don't mind paying 2 or 3 pounds more because I know that the steelbook is far more likely to keep its value rather than become almost worthless like the standard version.

I wasn't buying the LE with the purpose of making a quick profit by reselling it but I have no problems with people who do .
It's called business and supply and demand.

And now with a run of 10000 I doubt they'll be able to maintain the LE at its original price

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
thebeekeeper said:
The standard edition already includes extras.
Part of the LE was just one extra disc albeit loaded with extras.
Part of the reason people pay a premium price for certain titles , such as Twilight Time is because of the LE status .
You know that if or when there is a reason to sell the title it should always maintain a reasonable price level unlike standard mass produced titles. How many would pay $30 for a TT release if they were not LE?

For example - I'm not a massive fan of steelbooks but if a steelbook version of a movie comes out at the same time as its regular version I don't mind paying 2 or 3 pounds more because I know that the steelbook is far more likely to keep its value rather than become almost worthless like the standard version.

I wasn't buying the LE with the purpose of making a quick profit by reselling it but I have no problems with people who do .
It's called business and supply and demand.

And now with a run of 10000 I doubt they'll be able to maintain the LE at its original price
I'm not keen on limited editions full stop but at least if you want this film there is also the standard edition at a cheaper price.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
The standard edition also doesn't have the theatrical cut.

I'm a little bummed that I paid $80 for something that Amazon is now selling for $55. The reason I didn't cancel my Shout Factory order is because I was afraid that Amazon wouldn't end up getting enough product for all of the orders. Plus, I'm still willing to pay a little more to Shout Factory simply because I'd rather give more money to a company that actually releases films I love that other companies won't release.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
New statement from Clive Barker’s Office: The Nightbreed Director's Cut is an entirely different film than the one which was released in theaters. Its 20 minutes longer than the theatrical cut, but it contains over 40 minutes of new and altered footage. Clive oversaw the reconstruction and edit himself, personally ensuring that, at long last, he was able to tell the story he always wanted to tell, but until now, had never been given the chance. Once the scenes were reordered, and the original film footage restored, the entire film received a brand new sound mix and color pass. It is, in every way, a different movie. It contains more story, more monsters, and there's even a musical umber. Ultimately, what we've delivered is a love story 25 years in the making.

Final details on the two retail sets are as follows:

DVD & BLU-RAY COMBO SPECIAL EDITION SET

[*]New “Director’s Cut” presentation of the film which contains over 40 minutes of new and altered footage
[*]Introduction by writer/director Clive Barker and restoration producer Mark Alan Miller
[*]Audio Commentary by writer/director Clive Barker and restoration producer Mark Alan Miller
[*]Tribes of the Moon: The Making of Nightbreed featuring interviews with Craig Sheffer, Anne Bobby, Doug Bradley and more… (72 minutes)
[*]Making Monsters - interviews with makeup effects artists Bob Keen, Martin Mercer and Paul Jones (42 minutes)
[*]Fire! Fights! Stunts! 2nd Unit Shooting - an interview with Andy Armstrong (20 minutes)
[*]Original Theatrical Trailer
[/list]

1:78 Widescreen/DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1/Dolby Digital 5.1/English Subtitles

LIMITED EDITION 3-DISC BLU-RAY SET (10,000 Numbered Pieces)

DISC 1: THE DIRECTOR’S CUT

[*]New “Director’s Cut” presentation of the film which contains over 40 minutes of new and altered footage
[*]Introduction by writer/director Clive Barker and restoration producer Mark Alan Miller
[*]Audio Commentary by writer/director Clive Barker and restoration producer Mark Alan Miller
[*]Tribes of the Moon: The Making of Nightbreed featuring interviews with Craig Sheffer, Anne Bobby, Doug Bradley and more… (72 minutes)
[*]Making Monsters - interviews with makeup effects artists Bob Keen, Martin Mercer and Paul Jones (42 minutes)
[*]Fire! Fights! Stunts! 2nd Unit Shooting - an interview with Andy Armstrong (20 minutes)
[*]Original Theatrical Trailer
[/list]

1:78 Widescreen/DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1/Dolby Digital 5.1

DISC 2: BONUS DISC

[*]Deleted and Alternate Scenes (approx. 20 minutes)
[*]Monster Prosthetics Master Class
[*]Cutting Compromise – an interview with editor Mark Goldblatt
[*]The Painted Landscape: The Concept Art of Ralph McQuarrie
[*]Matte Painting Tests
[*]Makeup Tests
[*]Stop Motion Lost Footage
[*]Extended Torture Scene
[*]Rehearsal of Boone’s dream
[*]Extensive Still Galleries – Early Sketches, Deleted Scene, Posters and Pre-Production art, On the Set, The Cast and Crew
[/list]

DISC 3: THE THEATRICAL CUT

[*]New transfer from the inter-positive
[/list]
1:78 Widescreen/DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1/English Subtitles
**NOTE: Those who order the Special Edition and the Limited-Edition sets directly from www.ScreamfactoryDVD.com will also receive an exclusive 18”x24” poster of the newly designed artworks (available while supplies last)!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oussa13
Recent bookmarks