What's new

Shout Factory Press Release: Clive Barker's Nightbreed The Director's Cut Limited Edition (1 Viewer)

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
It's probably best to wait a bit more info about the audio restoration. I doubt that even Shout currently has all the pieces of a puzzle.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Jeezuz, I can't freaking say anything anymore. :) Yes, I'll wait more info about the audio on this release before making the so-called final judgment. E.g. I have no idea how the sound on the "Cabal cut" sounds etc. And they probably work on the audio as we speak.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Sorry Travis. I just feel like Charles Bronson in Death Hunt. :0Seriously speaking, has anyone seen the Cabal Cut in some of the festivals? Any comments on the sound?

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
Just look ar what's happening to THE ALAMO...literally deteriorating as we speak...to the point that even a full restoration would not be up-to-par. And MGM is doing nothing about it. Nor will they allow anyone else to!! And MGM is an outfit with a hell of a lot more $ than Shout has. If a major is willing to allow a big John Wayne film to be lost, then what chance does NIGHTBREED have? So again, kudos to Shout...if you ask me, they've already gone the extra mile(s). We may not get the NIGHTBREED that we'd ideally want...but it's not an ideal world. NIGHTBREED right now is in a better place than THE ALAMO!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Now Available for Preorder
The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

</div> <div>

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I have little to no desire for this release. I might eventually watch the director's cut but I saw this back when it was released and didn't care too much for it. With that said, those with nothing in the mix often don't understand the need for a budget but they are there for a reason. I really don't see the point in attacking Shout on this one. Any hatred should probably go towards Warner since they could have done this type of release on their own but didn't and probably wouldn't bother. I'm sorry but no one is dying for this release. Your average customer isn't going to care. A lot of horror fans don't care about the film. The film and its director has a strong CULT following but lets be real. It's not like this thing is going to sell enough copies to where Shout or the man himself should spend an extra $100,000+ to fix the audio. Would be nice but this isn't THE EXORCIST we're talking about here.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I'm sorry but no one is dying for this release. Your average customer isn't going to care. A lot of horror fans don't care about the film. The film and its director has a strong CULT following but lets be real. It's not like this thing is going to sell enough copies to where Shout or the man himself should spend an extra $100,000+ to fix the audio. Would be nice but this isn't THE EXORCIST we're talking about here.
You're correct in that the average person doesn't know or care about Nightbreed. To say that "no one is dying for this release" is hardly true, though. The fact is that the release wouldn't be happening at all were it not for the efforts of a sizable group of fans who genuinely love this film and lobbied tirelessly for years for its release. I saw it twice during its original run and, although I could tell that it was disjointed (I later learned due to studio interference), I found it to be fascinating, original, and stylish. I'm one of the fans who have been dying to see it returned to as close to its original state as possible. Am I going to suddenly cancel my pre-order because of the audio? No. I'm very aware that it's a miracle that this release is happening at all. Still, I feel like you're giving the film and its devoted fan base short shrift in your comments and you'll be surprised at how well it sells. Everyone has different tastes. That's what makes the world great! :)

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
And the LE has sold out on Amazon, or so it would seem.

I'm sorry, but I just can't agree with the hand-holders here, who want to coddle Shout!, as if they have done everything in their power to present this release properly. From what I have seen so far, they simply have not proved that.

The fact remains that Cliff deliberately asked for these film materials. He and Shout! deliberately got hold of materials most had waited almost 25 years for. Anybody with any knowledge of film knows what they are getting into when you ask for trims from a 25-year old horror movie that under-performed. You know going in that it's going to be hell on wheels, and you plan for the worst--that everything is jumbled up. I don't care how small Shout! is, you don't ask to take on projects that you can't manage. You wouldn't allow Merry Maids to clean the Sistine Chapel ceiling, would you? Not least unless they showed you they were well-prepared.

What's even more perplexing is the speed at which this is being done. Yes, I get that there is a license with WB for the theatrical (and WB, as I understand it, has nothing to do with any Director's Cut, that's Morgan Creek (and Fox?) all the way, but not Warner Bros., who if anything, is only holding the material), but then, why do Barker and Co. have only a few short months to put this together? Surely a year is more fitting? Again, if Shout! can't afford a year for the project, then why take it on? Why ask for the film elements when you can't give them the respect they deserve? The Cabal Cut was already there, and Barker surely could have constructed some hybrid from that VHS and put that on Blu-ray. But no, because even for Cliff, putting VHS video on a Blu-ray almost defeats the purpose, Too bad that his feelings don't extend to the audio.

Sorry, but this is still chalked up as a "loss" for me. Shout! needs to do better.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
Do you guys really think the raw audio from the shooting will be that much better than what they have to work with from the Cabal Cut?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
bgart13 said:
Do you guys really think the raw audio from the shooting will be that much better than what they have to work with from the Cabal Cut?
Yes, because it will be mixed from a first generation source instead of a VHS source?

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
Well, ok then, if you think raw audio always sounds good from a set, then that's fine.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
bgart13 said:
Well, ok then, if you think raw audio always sounds good from a set, then that's fine.
Of course not, but it's what was used on the Cabal cut wasn't it? Any material used on the cabal cut that aren't VHS sourced for this release should be available no in non-vhs versions no?

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Jesus. You know, most people would be overjoyed that we are, against all possible odds, getting the director's cut of a movie that fans have been wanting forever-- from the original materials, no less, which we never in a million years would think would happen. But I guess that's considered "coddling." So please, by all means, relish your self-righteous indignation while the rest of us enjoy the LE set.
McCrutchy said:
And the LE has sold out on Amazon, or so it would seem.

I'm sorry, but I just can't agree with the hand-holders here, who want to coddle Shout!, as if they have done everything in their power to present this release properly. From what I have seen so far, they simply have not proved that.

The fact remains that Cliff deliberately asked for these film materials. He and Shout! deliberately got hold of materials most had waited almost 25 years for. Anybody with any knowledge of film knows what they are getting into when you ask for trims from a 25-year old horror movie that under-performed. You know going in that it's going to be hell on wheels, and you plan for the worst--that everything is jumbled up. I don't care how small Shout! is, you don't ask to take on projects that you can't manage. You wouldn't allow Merry Maids to clean the Sistine Chapel ceiling, would you? Not least unless they showed you they were well-prepared.

What's even more perplexing is the speed at which this is being done. Yes, I get that there is a license with WB for the theatrical (and WB, as I understand it, has nothing to do with any Director's Cut, that's Morgan Creek (and Fox?) all the way, but not Warner Bros., who if anything, is only holding the material), but then, why do Barker and Co. have only a few short months to put this together? Surely a year is more fitting? Again, if Shout! can't afford a year for the project, then why take it on? Why ask for the film elements when you can't give them the respect they deserve? The Cabal Cut was already there, and Barker surely could have constructed some hybrid from that VHS and put that on Blu-ray. But no, because even for Cliff, putting VHS video on a Blu-ray almost defeats the purpose, Too bad that his feelings don't extend to the audio.

Sorry, but this is still chalked up as a "loss" for me. Shout! needs to do better.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
TravisR said:
It was already suggested earlier in the thread but what kind of incentives could a movie that isn't in production have in order to come anywhere near $100,000?
I would go with the kickstarter fund, raise public awareness on social media and forums and throw in some surfing lessons with Cameron Diaz, i'm sure they could get a few hundred thousand together to fix the audio and make a tidy profit, at least give it a go and if they don't raise enough money then sure go right ahead with what they already have for this release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks