What's new

Should we worry? (1 Viewer)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
According to all of these doomsayers, Blu-ray should have been dead and discontinued by now based on all of the articles written in the last three or four years. The bottom line is, there's a lot of hatred toward Sony and Blu-ray because many of these people wanted HD DVD to win, they're pro-Microsoft, and now pro-download enthusiasts. As a result, a lot of FUD always being written about how Blu-ray is barely making it. Trust me, a lot of these people never got over the format war. Just read AVS.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one."

Captain Malcolm Reynolds.

Not me, but I thought the quote fit

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I was of the opinion that when BR won the war, it had won the right to be the next Laser Disc. Simply put, a videophile format.

But at Christmas, I observed two different, non-enthusiast friends of mine get BR players, and a 3rd was well aware of what BR was. These were clearly not HTF types, but just regular folks for whom DVD should have been "good enough".

I think the sub $300 decks and some decent pre-Christmas prices on media helped push BR to a much wider level of mainstream acceptance than I would have thought possible 12 months ago.

It may still have a way to go, and the post Christmas media prices in the Sunday flyers are back to stupid levels, but I think progress was made.

IMHO, or course.

Brian

David Levine

Supporting Actor

You've also just described the Criterion Collection.

The key is having enough big winners and solid catalog sellers to make up for the ones that don't sell as much.

And the prices will continue to drop. I remember when Cassettes were more expensive than albums, and when CDs were more expensive than cassettes. New tech is always more expensive. As BRs continue to get cheaper to produce, the cost will be passed on.

And I wouldn't worry if BR is adopting slower than DVD. A previous boss of mine summed it up best when he said:

"DVD was revolutionary, Blu-Ray is evolutionary."

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Blu-ray will continue to grow towards a mainstream format.

I do think that there needs to be some major price adjustments.
Players and software are still too expensive for this sort of economy
climate.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I remember insiders saying 2008 was always more of a ramp-up year for Blu-ray since the format war didn't end until the spring and other studios were just starting to get (back) on board. 2009 was supposed to be the BIG push. Given all of the classic catalog titles which are rumored to get released this year (according to Digital Bits), it would seem like we'll see a major push. However, as Ron said, given that 2009 is supposed to be a very tough economic year, I also think pricing particularly on software needs to come down a bit --- especially at places like Best Buy. I can't believe how many titles are listed at $34.95 there when they're often $19.99 (or less) online somewhere.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Just a few comments (since I didn't comment in the last thread for this story).

All just my opinion of course

First, folks will get blu-ray players when they have to replace their existing DVDs. That was the final catalysis for me to get Blu. My DVD died and I needed to replace it.

Second, when DVD was new, my local BB had a small area dedicated to the format. I took advantage of a couple 30 discs, 30 days, 30 dollar deals. Problem was I couldn't find 60 DVDs I wanted to watch. They may have had 100 total. Today, my same local BB has hundreds Blu-Rays. They seem to be way more aggressive in marketing and actually getting movies on the format.

Third, my local BB is a typical store in a small town. We are not a overly wealthy area and we are not over populated. Still, I have problems getting new releases on Blu-Ray as they are out right away. When I'm browsing, I'm never the only one there.

Fourth, Every new release that I want to see is being released on Blu-Ray. When that stops happening, then I will be worried.

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
I don't see ANY worrisome signals or trends regarding the future of BD. The economy is, and will be a challenge, but ditto for every other nonessential thing people buy. Player prices are higher than I would have expected at this point, but if the studios and CE people were all that worried, those prices would be lower; it's a kind of backhanded compliment to the strength of the format. They're charging what the market will bear.

Also, I disagree with the author's remark about BD players being "cheap' or "crap", however he described them. I don't know anyone personally, who has had show stopper issues with their players. My Samsung BD-P1400, continues to work flawlessly. Never had a disc that wouldn't play properly.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I think Blu-Ray is far from dead, but I agree with Ron that some changes have to be made. Price is a big one, not just for the players but for the discs too. Also, the packaging has to change. Some of you may have seen my comments on this in other threads, but the packaging for Blu-Rays is almost uniformly awful. The standard blue plastic cases make every film look like a video game. I appreciate that they take up less shelf space, but the blue tint (consumers won't know it's a Blu-Ray unless the case is blue? Come on!) makes every title look like a video game, and even the "deluxe" box sets are not satisfactory - the Apes box and 007 boxes did not secure the discs very well, did they? And forget about inserts - they are nonexistent. DVD made you feel you were getting something substantial for your money (unfold the Alien Quadrilogy!) with care and attention put into every detail of the discs and packaging; I admit the content is there for Blu-Rays on the disc, but not the package.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think the format is already mainstream, but if the industry wants to continue increasing double digit penetration into the video software market for Blu-ray, they need to seriously look at their pricing especially for software. People aren't going to buy a BRD of Mamma Mia! at $30-35 when they can get it for $20-25 in SD DVD at Best Buy or Wal-mart.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

I have no problem with the standard Blu-ray case, It saves space, and i know its a Blu-ray, and not a DVD

Besides, just you suggesting it, really messed with my OCD!

I agree the Bond boxes sucked, you could tell they did just by looking at them. Thats why i bought them all individually. I thank the studios for that option.

As far as price, i never pay MSRP. But i know many people who dont know how to look for deals, they think everyone has the same price.
Also, you have to remember, many people are not computer savvy, and even if they are, they may not trust putting credit card info on the computer. Amazon rules, but many people dont know that.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

Actually, I bet that what really happens is that they buy NEITHER. Over priced BR next to over priced SD DVD results in no-sale, in my opinion.

If the SD price was $10 to $15, then maybe SD will get the nod. But $20 to $25 is back to where SD DVD was in the formats early days and still too pricey in a world of $5 and $7.50 titles at WalMart.

Even more so when the customers knows that the $20/$25 title will be a $15 or less title in a few weeks.

$15 or better release day pricing of main stream, blockbuster SD titles got a lot of my dollars, prior to the advent of HD media.

Brian

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
I don't have a problem with the standard BD cases, either, and most of the BD custom cases have been fine as well. So long as the height of the case remains very close, I'm OK. (The digi-book passes the test.)

Don't forget that there have been plenty of lousy cases in the history of SD DVD. As far as I'm concerned, the BD cases are preferred by a mile, over those funky snapper cases that Warner was so fond of.

Neither do I have huge sympathy for people paying high prices for discs. People who are that hindered by shopping, were and are, most likely paying too much for SD DVD's as well.

The issue with new release prices is another matter. The rules of the game changed about 2 or 3 years ago (perhaps more like 3 or 4), when juicy discounts for pre-orders were done away with, and discounts implemented after 6 months or more on the shelf. Incidentally, that's when my SD buying habits changed dramatically. I bought a lot more dics before the rules changed. Afterwards, I became much choosier. Those habits have carried over to BD purchases.

Once in a while a seller will give the impression of a pre-order discount, depending on the title, bit it doesn't compare with across the board discounts "back in the day".

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
If people don't take the time to get a good price, it is hard to listen to them complain about Blu-Ray discs being too expensive.

All the BD movies I have purchased have only been about $5 more than the equivalent DVD. I am perfectly happy paying a $5 premium for a premium product.

The players can now be found well under $200. The movies are about $5 more than DVD. I just don't get the "too expensive" argument at all.

If you are expecting that the players and movies be the same prices as DVD, then you are being very unreasonable.

Examples from Amazon:

Dark Night : DVD 20.99, BD 21.99
Wall-E (3disc) : DVD 22.99, BD 24.49
Mama Mia : DVD 24.49, BD 29.99

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor

I agree completely, and have said as much, many times on this forum. That new car smell hasn't escaped BD just yet, and we're not doing that badly on price.

This is, after all, a hobby.

The price expectations are the fault of the studios; it's their marketing that has conditioned people to "just buy it", when it comes to movies. Such wasn't the case until very recently, and most of that was egged on by their price slashing on SD's when their revenues started to tumble.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Unfortunately, most of the general public doesn't shop at Amazon. I think it goes without saying that most of us on this forum are very educated as to how to get the best bargains for Blu-ray software. However, this argument isn't about us, but whether Blu-ray is going to increase their market penetration into the overall home video sales which means regular folks that shop at their local BB, CC, Wal-mart or any other retailer. Those aisle prices have a much greater difference in Blu-ray versus SD DVD for most titles not named "The Dark Knight".

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
"What, me worry" .....not I!

Prices, prices, prices..... I no longer bother shopping for BD's locally, which I'd prefer to do, unless I see an bona-fide great price advertised or a Busted Buy Reward Zone coupon. Prices are killing Blu-ray's potential. I believe BD-25's are as cheap to distribute as DVD's already. The prices are arbitrary and capricious. They're not even in the long run intrest of the studios, IMO. Other industries improve products to maintain marketshare. The entertainment industry embraces the concept that any improvement deserves a lusty price increase. The same, approximate, thinking did wonders for the music end of the industry. There's an uncanny parallel here.

The other biggie is Firmware. It has to be finalized once and for all time. I cannot even explain what it is to my mom. It's just beyond her elderly self. She does understand that Burn After Reading isn't playing on her Samsung 1000 and she's P'ed off 'bout that. Firmware talk on forums is scaring off potential buyers as much as the price of discs. Entertainment has got to be easy to use, like DVD is. Working people are not gonna waste their valuable free hours trying to get firmware! .....unless they're true enthusiasts like folks that frequent this forum. Civilians are not gonna tolerate this excrement.

I'm sick of Firmware upgrades too. I've lost count of the firmware updates to my BD10.....I know it's over 10!

I just don't care wheather Blu-ray's market climb levels out or if the format dies young. I'll move on to the next thang. The studios should care but their actions don't reflect that. They better worry wheather they have a next thang.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I disagree about firmware issues--I'm quite happy my PS3 has gained a number of features via firmware rather than having to buy a new unit every time a desirable feature comes out.

As for pricing, it is very reminiscent of the same time frame for SD DVD (at least around here) and eventually, SD DVD took off. I expect a slower, but still significant increase in BD over the next few years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks