What's new

Short lived shows during 70-75 (1 Viewer)

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Point -Blank,

I also rememer "Arnie" and "The New Perry Mason". I thought that the new PM also had potential to fly longer if as you said the timing of the series had been later.

I also think that it's somewhat ironic that studios occasionally seek out "private collectors" to complete their sets. I stay away from the "b" word here and use the "alt set" word instead.

I wonder how many Batman ('66) fans out there have their own sets? To each their own on the Bd, but I'm not going to frown on or comment on anyone here that mentions having an alt set to anything. Most TV/DVD collectors imo, will always buy a studio set if it's available.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Batman is a happy case where the show has had cable airings uncut (TV Land Canada) using good quality masters from the early 90s so that's why most Batman fans are usually willing to go look for the "alternate" version and even if the show was released legitimately on DVD if there were ever any issues that led to a "Fugitive" style debacle we'd at least have a good backup set available.

For short-lived 70s shows I think it's worth recapping the one season shows that *have* made it to DVD.

Lotsa Luck (1973-74)
Planet Of The Apes (1974-75)
Kolchak: The Night Stalker (1974-75)
Tabitha (1977-78)
Quark (1978)
Battlestar Galactica (1978-79)
The Paper Chase (1978-79)

Ellery Queen (1975-76) and Operation Petticoat (1977-78) top the list of shows from this decade I'd like to see make it to DVD.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Some 1970-75 short-lived TV shows I'd like to see on DVD:

The Psychiatrist (starred Roy Thinnes. Aired just a few years after The Invaders finished)

Khan! (aired in early 1975. Starred Kheigh Dheigh, but he was uncredited. Read this on the IMDb. Very rare for a lead actor in a TV series to be uncredited)

The Magician (1973-74 series which starred Bill Bixby)

Madigan (starred Richard Widmark)

Ellery Queen

Bronk (aired during the 1975-76 season. Starred Jack Palance and was created by Bruce Geller)

Harry O (ran for two seasons and starred David Janssen)

San Fransisco International Airport.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member

When has this happened? Other than looking for unaired pilot versions, which most likely would have only been in the hands of the producers, when has a studio done this?

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen

I can't cite any specific instances of DVD studios or manufacturers reaching out to private collectors outside of THE INVADERS, M SQUAD and THE TEXAN, but I'm sure there have been other examples.

This practice is quite common here in Los Angeles when a public theatrical screening of a film is held for an occasion and the facility uses a rare print from a private collection. For example, the only existing 35mm IB Technicolor print of THE OMEGA MAN is in a private collection and was screened publicly during an anniversary presentation of the film's original release. Without private collectors many, many films would be lost forever.

Jeff, I completely agree with you. There is a difference between "bootleggers" and "pirates" and "collectors" and "hobbyists." It may take some diligent research and trial and error, but the latter folks can be found and they are often a pleasure to deal with.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I believe *every* instance of a Timeless release of a Universal title constitutes a private collectors donation of some kind since the 16mm prints they're using were ones picked up by collectors after Univeral tossed them out.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member

Absolutely true. However, Timeless isn't a studio. They are a budget DVD distributor. Universal has the 35mm masters to all of those shows sitting in their vaults. It's just not economically feasible for a company to access them for limited appeal releases. No way could they make a profit or even break even. But there's a big difference between that and the studio not having it.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The thing is, without a routine check of the elements, just being told "oh, they're still in our vaults" is not necessarily a guarantee of itself that it has been successfully *preserved* for the long-term since the elements can deteriorate even in the vaults.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member

The Good Life was a cute show, and yes, Donna Mills was really adorable in it. Her and Hagman made a good combination. I was surprised that Columbia didn't jump on the chance to do something with it in the early 80s when Dallas and Knots Landing were so popular.

I never really watched Arnie when it was on but I got to see them much later on. Not a bad show.

I was never a fan of the original Perry Mason so I didn't watch the newer version.

Yes, you are right. Chicago Teddy Bears is a terrible show. Only appeal to it is the chance to see Huntz Hall in his only recurring role outside of the Bowery Boys/East Side Kids. Same reason I watched The Corner Bar, with Gabriel Dell. I believe those are the only 2 instances of Bowery Boys having other regular roles (besides Billy Halop as a semi-regular on All in the Family).

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
You got to see "The Chicago Teddy Bears?" I've been trying to track down that series for years. More or less for nostalgia's sake, and I seem to recall a nifty theme sequence.

Tell me more, please?

James

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen

I was able to trade for it, collector to collector. I will send you a PM with more information.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

You're right about the opening titles, that was the best thing about the series, I think. And I agree with Danny about seeing Huntz Hall again, but sadly, he, like most of the rest of the excellent cast in this show, often seems to be given virtually nothing to do.

I would love to see THE CORNER BAR again, at least the Gabe Dell episodes and not the later incarnation with Anne Meara and Eugene Roche. Danny, didn't Huntz Hall once guest star with Dell on that summer replacement series in 1972?

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member

They have an episode at the Paley Center. Don't know about Huntz guesting or not and there's no good episode guide for the show anywhere online.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
I believe that there was a tv series of the Dirty Dozen which was short lived and starred Ben Murphy.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
One could ask what's the use of having it then, having something in your vault that'll never be used. If not now, then it'll probably never be seen.

wh5916

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William Hicks
I also have good memories of "Arnie."

The second and final season, sadly, was totally forgettable wacky sitcom fare. The first season, though, was quite good, and I'd love to see some of the episodes again.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I have said the exact same thing on many occassions. I believe it would be a successful prospect for some new network to create a channel that airs only "lost" shows that haven't aired repeatedly or haven't aired at all since their network debut. I think it would be a new concept and I think many people would tune in to see something they have never seen before. Problem is...who would take the chance to do it?

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member

That would be a wonderful question to get an answer to from the studios. Too bad none of us will ever get the chance to ask it.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Or at the very least, make the vault *accessible* to the broader public, even if only on a research level the way you can request material from a university archives.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks