What's new

Sergio Leone Special Editions (1 Viewer)

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
So I picked up Duck, You Sucker this weekend @ Best Buy for $14.99. I'm staying with friends so I was watching on a 27" CRT likely hooked up either via coax or composite (their DVD player is a Sanyo VCR/DVD recorder combo). Even on this setup, the film looks stunning. I'm only 2/3 through @ this point, so I'll keep you posted on my thoughts.

John H Ross

Screenwriter
Anyone else get 3 or 4 scratched discs in this set? I'm so p**'d off with MGM and their box sets with scratched discs :-(

How about the single movie editions? Any scratched discs there?

John

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I'm still waiting for an answer about whether or not GBU still suffers from interlacing issues.

Kris Z.

Stunt Coordinator
I thought the GBU discs were the exact same ones as in the previous CE (meaning any authoring errors there would have been carried over.)

I got the anthology set a while back and while the large Digipak is a bit unwieldy the overall look and feel is fantastic. The box is really stylish with embossed letters and it's also nice and sturdy; no simple folded cardboard slipcover here.

I was wondering about one thing in "Duck, You Sucker" though. Near the end when the train explodes, several of the cuts have a really distorted look, like they've been severely squeezed vertically/stretched horizontally. Anyone know what's up with that? I was hoping the commentary would mention something of it, but it didn't, and I couldn't find anything on Google either.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I can find any reviews for these discs. Ill buy them anyway but was curious.

Any confirmation of the packaging? Like TGTB&TU?

moviefan

Agent
Real Name
justin
I saw Duck You Sucker! today for the first time. I purchased the Sergio Leone Anthology at Costco for $39.99 and started seeing Sergio Leone films in order they were filmed. Now I am only have one film to go. I have already seen Once Upon a Time in America before, though.

I love Duck You Sucker, but the title stinks. I need to see it again though, just like Once Upon a Time in America. Multiple viewings are probably necessary for this movie. The first two Dollar movies seemed light compared to this one. Once Upon a Revolution is a better title. Too bad the marketing geniuses at United Artists didn't go with this one.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Watched all the films in the box set last week. Loved them. I'm going to try to start going through the special features this week.

It was very interesting watching them all in a short time frame and seeing how Leone improved with each film. I also watched Once Upon a Time in the West, which I think may be Leone's best work. He was really clicking with The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly and this film. These two films are pretty damn near perfect filmmaking.

Duck You Sucker is a drop off in quality from the previous two films but it's still Leone and well worth watching. I will say it was damn hard shifting out of Leone gear back into watching other peoples work. Leone was an original and as fine a film craftsman as we'll ever see.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks