What's new

Samsung TV, Time Warner Cable Box and JVC DVD/Surround Sound Receiver (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yes, ATV is Apple TV.

STB, Set Top Box. As in the thing you pay the cable company $8-$12 per month for.
DPL, Dolby ProLogic(which this JVC has version II, which came out in 1987)
DD, Dolby Digital(which came out in the 90s...and is the "broadcast standard")
DTS...the other "better" sound format other than DD...found on disc media only(as far as I know...there is no DTS on streamed content...as it would be pointless. Streamed barely needs DD)

The age of your ATV doesn't really make a difference. Is it Gen 1, 2 or 3? (Apple doesn't follow "product year" like everybody else...for them...Gen 1 just means it "came out first". They did quit selling it "new" when Gen 3 came out...and Gen 1 DOES have an analog audio output...which is why if you search Ebay for Gen 1 ATV...you see they sell for double what a Gen 2 or 3 sell for)

So...in a nutshell, this hinges on your ATV. Once we know what it is...we can cut the confusion.

kkarey27

Grip
Real Name
Kathy
I'll let you know after lunch. I'll check the back to see what the ports and connections look like. But I am also thinking that I can switch the optical cable from the back of the STB to the ATV if it has a connection and I want to watch a movie I downloaded. Then I wouldn't have to buy the Toslink thing, which I don't mind buying, but I read the reviews on Amazon and the only negative is that it is the size of a dinner plate. The less clutter, the better for me. More to follow....

kkarey27

Grip
Real Name
Kathy
The digital optical cable I bought on Monday is a Rocketfish. It looks like the shape of a house around the optical part. I paid $25 at Best Buy. But I like Amazon better.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
"House"="square"...

Round fits without having to get the orientation right. I still recommend a switch as I don't know how many times the connector(on the cable and the device) is meant to be "used".

You "could" get away with a splitter. However, you would ALWAYS have to make sure the "other device" is off...which would be a pain depending on "boot-up" of the ATV...(And whether the ATV or STB has a true "standby"..where no signal gets let out...you can test that. Connect a toslink and put the device in standby...if the light goes away, on both, you can use a splitter in reverse)
http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Digital-Optical-Splitter-Electronics/dp/B001V574WU/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1365010013&sr=1-5&keywords=toslink+splitter

kkarey27

Grip
Real Name
Kathy
I plugged the optical into the ATV and cranked up my Itunes on the TV. I was watching The Hunger Games and it came through on two of the speakers. So now that the sound is connected on the devices I need to find out how to get it out of all 5 speakers. Maybe it was just that scene that only needed two speakers. I'll watch more of the movie to see if the sound comes out on all speakers. So after the quick check I moved the optical cable back to the STB and you were right: it's tough to move the cables back and forth. I will get the Toslink selector switch and two more optical cables. That's my grocery list for Amazon.

All that's left is figuring out when/if all 5 speakers are functional for different channels and movies.

You've been very, very helpful. Thanks!

kkarey27

Grip
Real Name
Kathy
I bought a Toslink switch and two Toslink round optical cables. I'll return the "square cable" to Best Buy when the others arrive. I think our remote is universal and can be programed for all of the equipment. I researched the ATV2 manual and it can be set for Dolby Digital which could solve my problem with sound only coming from two speakers. When it all works I will close this thread. Thanks again. I really appreciate it.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You won't have to close it, others might read along and have relevant questions. But close if you wish.

And...no problem, that is what we are here for.

kkarey27

Grip
Real Name
Kathy
Alas, the units are set up and Dolby sound is coming from the speakers. Can't wait for the new Toslink switch and optical cords to arrive so the set up will be done. I did look for the thread about universal remotes on this website and never found it.

We have a Synergy V remote from TWC. It should be able to control five devices but I couldn't get the ATV to recognize the remote. And when I finally got the remote to power up/down the TV, STB and JVC unit, then the volume and channel buttons did not work. Maybe I'll just get a decorative basket to hold all of the remotes. A single remote would be icing on the cake.

Again. I truly appreciate all of your help and have a good understanding of how each device functions and what the cords are for. I yanked all of the cords with colored ends out of the back of the devices and put them in a plastic bag in a drawer. Fewer cords, less clutter. Thank you!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Less clutter is a good thing.Look at URC ( it is a brand) and Harmony for a one-in-all remote. Just look for reviews for various one for the ATV. Cause if it will work that...it will do all.You may never get " rid off" the remote for the JVC, as HTiB isn't a common device for aftermarket remotes. I would imagine "enough remote" would be around $50.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam

kkarey27

Grip
Real Name
Kathy
Just got the Toslink switch and "round" optical cables today. It is all connected and works great. I tried programming one remote and it was a disaster. I may save that for another day. Again, thanks for your help and the suggestions on equipment and cables. I used the links you gave me to order the products.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Glad it all got sorted and is working...other than the remote. Bet you like those round opticals better than the square/"house" connectors...

I just have no idea if you can program a HTiB for a universal remote. I've honestly never tried. I've also never owned one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks