What's new

S.H.I.E.L.D. (Joss Whedon's Live Action Marvel Universe TV Series on ABC) (2 Viewers)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
As another ABC, I would agree. I just didn't know if Ms Na was raised on Mandarin or Cantonese. And apologies for my digression from the series. :)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Man did he go overboard with the accent. He sounded like a Chinese Klingon.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think Ming-Na's Mandarin is better than her Cantonese (I think I heard her speak Mandarin in some TV episode or movie in the past).

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I always dislike science-y episodes on scifi shows like this, because the science is necessarily always fictional and so the character spend an inordinate amount of time talking nonsense that isn't grounded in anyway.That being said, I thought Clark Gregg did some really subtle and understated work tonight on a show that isn't exactly known for being subtle or understated. I like that Coulson's freaked out about what happened to him, and that he's aware that the story he's been told isn't the truth. It makes him feel more like a real person and less like a Coulson-bot.Elizabeth Henstridge was finally given a chance to step out of the Fitz-Simmons schtick, and I thought she really made the most of it. I'd say easily the best performance we've gotten out of any of the female cast members so far. Taking Simmons to the point of feeling certain that she was going to die, and how the show had her react to that, was the most interesting part of the episode for me. I would have thought the show would have gone for the over-the-top histrionics at that point, but instead she sort of buttoned down, put on that stiff upper lip and made the practical decision.Nice to see Titus Welliver reprise his role as Agent Blake from the "Item 47" one-shot. His character's jaded cynicism was a refreshing contrast from our main cast of wide-eyed true believers. I really like the scenes with Coulson brushing up against the wider S.H.I.E.L.D. bureaucracy. They allow some of the creepiness and paranoia associated with the big-screen S.H.I.E.D. to creep in.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The best acting we've seen on the show since the beginning. I'm still watching obviously, but it still hasn't quite made my must-see TV list.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
I think it's a new record, though, that we had THREE separate scenes in one episode where a character says "I'm so sorry..." before either apprehending him/her unawares or klonking him out so they could make their escape to do what they were told not to do--
One thing about being on this show, you take a polite beating. :unsure:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I thought last night's show was really good, from the cast's performances (Gregg and Henstrige really stood out) to the action -- jumping out of the plane at the end was gripping. I still think it gets better each week.

BTW, word is that an explanation of what happened to Coulsen is coming "sooner than you think."

Nice use of the Avengers references too.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Patrick, I read your spoiler, but don't know what you are referencing.

Is that some existing mythology outside of the show, or did I miss something in the show?

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Patrick Sun said:
So anyone think those throwaway lines are pointing towards Coulson
becoming the Vision
?
Nnnnnnnn.................no. :unsure:

(If anything, it's supposed to give him his "Newly dedicated" role in the series--just like Skye will suddenly find out that her devoted hactivism group was secretly Up To No Good, and finally cut her ties and make the step to join the team as its most gung-ho member--so they can be a Big Ol' Team by the season finale.
When we got the "You've changed" ending, my first reaction was "Ahh, so he was changed by the experience, and that's why he's now acting like a total dickhead in the series...I thought it was just overcompensation for being a frustrated middle-management guy!" :P

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Patrick Sun said:
So anyone think those throwaway lines are pointing towards Coulson
becoming the Vision
?
That's been the leading theory (on the internet) since his "death" in The Avengers. It was bolstered slightly following the announcement of the Ultron storyline for the sequel.

I remain skeptical, but it isn't completely without merit.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Don't love that idea. Don't see Coulson as a dick in any way on this show, either. This was the best episode yet, mainly because I've got a little crush on Simmons now. :laugh:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Greg_S_H said:
Don't love that idea. Don't see Coulson as a dick in any way on this show, either. This was the best episode yet, mainly because I've got a little crush on Simmons now. :laugh:
Same here! The man is dedicated to his team and developing them as agents to work as a cohesive unit.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Coulson has not been a dickhead at all. Weird the way some people read performances and get the exact opposite of what most others perceive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks