1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Rounding corners technique???

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by BryanDO, Oct 12, 2006.

1. BryanDO

BryanDO Well-Known Member

Hey guys, my sealed Shiva is finally coming to an end, tommorow I should be putting the finishing touched on her. I plan on putting a nice black hammer finish on it but alot of my edges are uneven and rough looking. I would like to round the corners of the box for a cleaner look. How do you guys do it? Is there a way to do it using a drill or rotary tool?

Thanks...

2. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Well-Known Member

The best way is to use a router with a roundover bit. If you dont have one or can't get use of one but still want to soften the edges then just use a sanding block and break the edges by hand with the sandpaper.

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Well-Known Member

Robert
  4. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Well-Known Member

I just saw that Dremel also has round over bits. It's not as robust as a router or mini router, but I think it could get the job done well enough if you already have one.

5. BryanDO

Excellent, ended up using the dremel and alot of 20 grit sandpaper. Turned out very nice.

Got another problem that came up. The plan was to finish the box with a brown hammer finish to match the living room decor. Turned out to be a disaster. The paint turned bright silver on MDF that was cut or sanded. So I'm going to sand it down again and try a different approach. How do you guys get that faux wood finish? I've it quite a bit but never seen how it's done. If it's easy enough I'll go with that, if not, it's back to boring black paint.

Thanks.

6. Joey Skinner

Joey Skinner Well-Known Member

The rounded over areas need to be sealed or they'll just suck up the paint. You can seal them by brushing on wood glue thinned with water. Do a search for the exact procedure. You might want to try spray-on bed liner for pickup trucks. You can get it in spray cans from Autozone,etc. I've used it on raw unprimed MDF with great results, even on the edges. It goes on real thick and gives a slightly textured finish. Faux wood finishing or veneering might be a problem if you have rounded over all the edges.

7. BryanDO

Spray on liner is an excellent idea. You wouldn't happen to know the price or brand of the product? We don't have autozones up here. Have any pictures of your finished lined sub?

8. Joey Skinner

Joey Skinner Well-Known Member

9. BryanDO

Those towers look amazing. The bedliner gives it a nice textured matte black. I didn't expected it to look that smooth. I'm going to head over to Wal-mart to see what I can find.

10. GaryLP

GaryLP Active Member

I just use a wood stain to seal the wood. Sandable primer also works well.