What's new

REVIEW: Adventures of Superman - The Complete First Season (1 Viewer)

With the exception of "Crime Wave," these versions aren't going to be new to most people, mainly because they began appearing in syndication during the late 1960's-early 1970's. However, uncut versions probably haven't been seen since that time, so it's likely that there will be scenes that are new to viewers.

Columbia House did release 20 of the 26 first season episodes in their 20-tape series. However, the version of "Crime Wave" they used was different than the one in this box set. Columbia House used the "edited for Kellogg's" version; the box set uses the original (which was released on VHS and LD by Warner Home Video in 1988.) The other 19 episodes are the same. That leaves six episodes that haven't been seen uncut in over two decades.

Michael

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
There is apparently some misinformation by a customer reviewer on the Amazon page for this release. They say that these must be the syndicated versions because they don't include the Kelloggs Presents opening and don't include the previews.
Per Amazon site:
Reviewer: Captain Bijou (Houston TX) - See all my reviews
Fans and purists of THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN TV series a major disappointment.

First, the prints are obviously the truncated TV syndication versions. If your're looking for the original Kellogg's openings, they're not here, though there are 16mm prints circulating throughout the film collecting hobby with ecploding planet and "Kellogg's, the greatest name in cereal presents...The Adventures of Superman" announcer line.

Secondly, each first season episode had a "Preview" at the story's conclusion before the credits consisting of a a montage of sequences from the next epsiode. These have been Deleted as well.

Third, only four of the original Kellogg's cereal commercials cast commercials are included as one of the special features. All feature only George Reeves as Clark Kent.

The mini-documentary, SUPERMAN: FROM INKWELL TO BACKLOT, is definitely not for diehards. Jack Larson, Allan Asherman, Leonard Maltin, Gary Grossman, Paul Levitz, Dan DiDio, Maike Carlon and Alex Ross and several figures currently associated with DC Comics and the SMALLVILLE TV series chime in with opinions and an brief comments about the series and its impact on 1950s television audiences (--interestingsince only a few of them were alive at the time--). But its pretty bland stuff. No behind-the-scenes footage, production stills or nuggets of little known information.

Thankfully, SUPERMAN AND THE MOLE MEN is included in its entirety as well in its' ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN version: THE UNKINOWN PEOPLE - Parts 1 & 2. But sadly, the theatrical trailer was not included.

The Technicolor Warner Brothers short, PONY EXPRESS DAYS (1940) starring George Reeves is also included. No doubt we'll see the Warners' shorts on future volumes for padding as well.

Packing is colorful and first rate, though a bit cumbersome. One can only imagine how long the multi-fold six disc packaging will last...epscially with repeated handling.

Eons ago, my young eyes were amazed by SUPERMAN AND THE MOLE MEN (--seen at the long-gone Lindale Theater in Houston--), but, then they had been equally amazed at the weekly episodes of ATOM MAN VS. SUPERMAN (--seen at the Joy Theatre also in Houston and also long since departed--). When the first episode of THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN was telecast, I was in the front of the set.

To the dedicated ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN fan -- and who saw it on its first run or even into the 1960s when the Kellogg's openings and previews were still intact on most syndication prints, the set is a disappointment. Though the first shows -- and they are both dark and violent for these sensitive times -- still entertain and recall a imagintive time in television's -- and our -- youth.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
The loss of the 35mm elements on THE STOLEN COSTUME is entirely possible, and not so unusual.

When I restored the 52 Abbott and Costello TV shows from 35mm elements, I found the films scattered all over the place; from nitrate film vaults (even thought the film was on safety stock) to file cabinet drawers which contained scripts and production notes to bankrupt printing labs, the masters were very poorly handled. Once the first set of 35mm prints had been struck for the initial syndication, the 35mm materials were considered of little value. All subsequent TV printings were from 16mm negatives.

However, I find it very hard to believe that a 16mm negative or fine grain master does not exist on this episode. To use a worn, 16mm dupe (with cue marks, no less) on this DVD set is VERY disappointing. There are better prints in collectors hands!

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I spent the afternoon with this set and came away very, very happy.

The package itself is very well done with fun graphics, picture discs, etc. The menus feature video clips and are quite fun to look at.

I watched 5 episodes and all looked wonderful and complete (phooey to Captain Bijou and his error ridden/misleading review).

As for "Stolen Costume", I haven't gotten to that one yet, but I suspect that any collector who has a good 16mm print of this knows the value of what they have. Could it be that Warners approached one of them and was quoted a very high price for the usage of said print?

I always thought the A&C TV show looked remarkably pristine. Glad to see that Bob F was responsible for these great restorations!

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Funny how different people can view the very same material and come to exact opposite conclusions (via Amazon reviewers re. "Adventures Of Superman Season 1")........

"Fans of this particular episode (which features the only TV appearance of detective Candy Myers, a recurring character on the "Superman" radio show) will be disappointed that it doesn't sparkle like the other 25."

----------

"I picked up my copy this morning and watched an episode tonight and the quality is HORRIBLE!! They cut off part of the opening and the picture quality is horrible. Lines, cuts and snow. They look better on GTV. Why didn't they use those prints instead of someones 8mm projector. If you are thinking of buying this, you are better off taping it from GTV and then mastering them to DVD. The quality on TV is 100000% better. What a disappointment."

----------

"Adventures of Superman" DVD set, released today, October 18, 2005. It is fantastic!"

----------

"...a major disappointment."

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Or better yet, double disc slim line cases.

Steve

* reviews written by David VP excepted :) He writes the most informed and thorough reviews around!

ravma

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know if this set is still valid for the WB Rebate? I have some rebate forms, older ones, which include this title on there, but other, newer ones, that don't.

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
I have a Denon 3910. Last night, I played disc 5 in its' entirety, including all extras. Played perfecly without a hitch. It's PLAYER related!

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I played disc 5 last night on my Sony SACD/DVD 5-disc changer and had no problems (I watched Superman and the Mole Men and all of the extras.) If you bought your set at a local B&M, I would exchange it for another copy. Sounds like it could be some sort of isolated replication glitch.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Another major disappointment!

Reading the message post reporting problems with disc 5 I decided to see for myself.

It seemed to work just fine but when I watched "The Unknown People," Parts One and Two sure enough there was a persistant vertical black line in addition to other blemishes and signs of print wear betraying that the fact that the source elements used are definitely not restorations but ordinary video transfers with no real work having been to done to them to speak of.

Worst of all the closing title for "The Unknown People," Part Two looked like it was taken from a horrendous, fourth generation public domain print copy...in absolutely the most reprehensible condition imaginable!

This is inexcusable! Particularly considering just how long we were kept waiting (almost 2 years) and what had been promised. Yeah, Warner Brothers had source elements problems but the trouble here is that nothing was done about it to improve upon them.

We all know just what can be expected from "The Stolen Costume" (12/12/1952) to add insult to the injury.

Why is it that these major distribution companies always furnish their garbage for these (vintage) tv series DVD releases instead of making a sincere effort in providing source materials that are in good condition?

From my point-of-view (based on what has been seen thus far) this DVD set is no better than the (mediocre) LOST IN SPACE collections and can only be recommended to diehard fans of THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN (ABC 1952-58) tv series.

Lastly considering that the second season (1953-54) DVD set is due out shortly (mid-January 2006) we can (pretty much) expect more of the same thing. I really don't have much faith otherwise in the way of optimism myself.

Thanks for nothing Warner Brothers Home Entertainment. You really blew it big time!

Jeff T.

William Miller

Second Unit
In an earlier post that I made (which I have now deleted), I made mention of the fact that Disc # 5 might have problems. Upon further review, it turns out that my disc # 5 was physically damaged and that is what was causing the problem. I have since exchanged my copy for a new one and all is now well.

I was so excited to get this set that I completely panicked when I had technical difficulties and didn't even bother to look at the disc because I was crazed with disappointment. It was only 24 hours later that it dawned on me to actually look at the disc. I immediately noticed 2 different small areas of deep scuffs and light gouges which obviously were the cause of the problems.

I apologize greatly if my earlier message caused any undue consternation for other members.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Just got my copy yesterday; looking forward to watching some of it this weekend. Very cool packaging -- even the double-disc holders are growing on me.

AndySvn

Agent
Well, I went to the Jack Larson DVD signing in Hollywood last night. His jaw dropped when he saw the box set! He said, "Warner's still hasn't sent me my copy. This looks amazing!"
He had no idea that each cast member would get their own disc image, so when he saw disc 4 with his picture on it he freaked.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Well I got my set and it is interesting to see this show after a few decades. I've only watched a few episodes and I cannot complain so far. However, there are a few points that I'd like to make.

1. Comparing Chris Reeve's perfomance to George Reeves is inappropriate. The fifties Superman and seventies Superman were treated quite differently, as well as the Clark Kents. Clark Kent in the seventies' comics was EXACTLY as portrayed in in the movies. Having read just about all the Superman comics released back then, it came as no surprise when I saw Donner's Superman in the theater that Clark Kent was portaryed as such... right down to feinting.

2. I agree with Josan that George Reeve's Kent was more "realistic" in the sense of how a reporter would act, but he was not "mild-mannered". At least not to me. H's pretty assertive.

3. Having grown up watching George Reeve's Superman, for the first time I noticed.... Clark Kent wears a pinky ring... A PINKY RING!!???!! Haven't been able to see if that ring carries over to when he's Superman... but I'll keep an eye out for it.

My wife and I will be watching and enjoying more eps this weekend.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

That's pretty cool indeed, Andy! Thanks for that Jack Larson tidbit. (I'll bet you were a bit surprised by Jack's elated reaction too, eh? I would have thought he probably would have already known what the DVDs looked like well prior to release date.)

P.S. -- Remember to NEVER get Jack "Jimmy Olsen" Larson mixed up with Jack "Kenny Dexter" {from "The Dick Van Dyke Show"} Larson.

http://imdb.com/name/nm0489001/

http://imdb.com/name/nm1180116/

http://imdb.com/name/nm1831766/

Several people have mixed up these two "Jack Larsons". (And still are to a degree at IMDB.com -- with both the #2 and #3 "Larsons" listed as having played "Kenny Dexter" on the Van Dyke Show, which is most curious. For a while, before someone pointed out the error, they also had the Jimmy Olsen "Larson" listed in the Dexter role, too.)

Another oddity re. the "real" Jimmy Olsen (Larson) is his being listed as having been in the two "China Syndrome" DVD documentaries from 2004. I don't recall him in those at all, and can't figure out the "connection" there for the life of me.

It's very strange, too, for the Hollywood Actors' Guild to even allow a second or third "Jack Larson" to use that exact name. I thought there were rules on that -- i.e. just one actor only could use a specific moniker. Possibly, the Jimmy Olsen "Larson" removed his name from the "active" Guild list prior to the other Larsons coming on the scene.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks