What's new

Remo Williams DVD - MGM screws up BIG TIME! (3 Viewers)

Matt<>Broon

Stunt Coordinator
Oh dear. No sale again I guess.

Am I alone in worrying that when (heaven forfend!) Widescreen becomes the accepted norm we will get chopped and stretched 1.33 releases to fit widescreen? Based on this latest lunacy I see noreason not to worry. :angry:

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Am I alone in worrying that when (heaven forfend!) Widescreen becomes the accepted norm we will get chopped and stretched 1.33 releases to fit widescreen? Based on this latest lunacy I see noreason not to worry.
They've already done that to Super Speedway and Evil Dead.

"They" being the all-powerful, evil "They", also known as "The Man" and "The Enemy of OAR".

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Bad news, I love 'Remo - Unarmed and Dangerous' as it was called over here in Britland. The only consolation is that it was never made in widescreen (2.35), so all the action will be up on the screen, albeit a bit cramped.
But still with so much rubbish being released in OAR all the time, why not a good decent movie like Remo? Doesn't make sense.

I'll wait and check out different regional releases before deciding.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The Evil Dead was framed at 1.85:1 per request of the director. I personally would have opted for 1.66:1 anamorphic, but only one or two shots look odd to me.

Of course, why should we separate filmmaker approved alterations from pan & scan? After all, they're all the same! :D

DarrinH

Second Unit
***SPEEEWWWWWWWW***
As my water goes all over my computer screen...
You have got to be kidding me!

"Monosuedic, monosudimen, mono...I can say rat droppings (thud as can goes in the trash along with this DVD)" Chuin

I will always remember this movie because I had a broken toe when I first saw it. Now I have broken expectations.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
While this thread is a nice start,

Have any of you contacted MGM to tell them how you feel?

Their website has an email for where you can submit consumer feedback. Anyone complaining here in this thread who doesn't take the time to tell *MGM* how they feel is worse than an arm-chair warrior...they won't even fight a battle that's just a few clicks and keystrokes away!

-dave

And don't come back with any "my vote doesn't count" or "MGM doesn't listen" crapolla. A bunch of emails coming into their marketing department all complaining about lack of WS 16x9 on a specific title *do* matter and *do* count for something. It might not be today or tomorrow...but eventually the fruits of that labor will be seen.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I thought I saw a thread on this site with a link to a form to fill out and voice your concerns to MGM. I could have been mistaken.

Thomas W

Agent
Add me to the list of extremely disappointed people who have waited for this title to be issued in widescreen format. Those who would be satisfied with fullscreen can watch it on a television broadcast and would probably not buy the DVD anyway. The marketing people at MGM need a remedial course in customer demand and awareness. They've lost touch with some of the basics.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I've just sent the following comment to MGM via their website form at www.mgmhomevideo.com. I included a link to this thread...

I am writing to voice my extreme displeasure with MGM's decision to release the upcoming Remo Williams DVD as a fullscreen only version. There are MANY home theater enthusiasts that were eager to purchase this release, and they are all passing this up now. Please see the attached link for one such discussion at the popular Home Theater Forum. I will gladly purchase this title when it is released in its original aspect ratio.

Sincerely,

Andrew Bunk

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=142091

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
No sale on this one either....I held out and didn't buy Chitty Chitty Bang Bang in Piece o Shit and won't buy this one. Nor the terrific Sharky's Machine, put out in PoS only by those equally f-ed up bastards at Warner.:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
No sale on this one for me either. I can't believe that MGM thought they would sell piles of this disc in a pan and scan. It is a, well, cult like film. Film of such stature often have rabid, and knowledgeable followings. Did they really think that we would buy a MAR version of the title?

My wife will be disappointed, she really is the fan of Remo, compared to myself.

I haven't seen this movie, but what the F does MGM think they're doing? It's obviously the fans who want this movie - and real fans won't tolerate FOOL SCREEN.

MGM - get your 'stuff' together, quit making a mockery of the format.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Thanks for ruining my anticipated purchase MGM! I was really looking forward to an anamorphic widescreen release of Remo Williams. I guess my money will go elswhere! NO SALE!
Why is it that the very group of people who helped DVD succeed get left out in the cold for their support?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks