What's new

Remo Williams DVD - MGM screws up BIG TIME! (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
If I find the Japanese subtitles can be removed
I am going to order the R2 release.

Erin C

Stunt Coordinator
THERE IS STILL HOPE!!!
Thanks for the backing again Ron,now hopefully,HOPEFULLY someone is listening. There is light at the end of the tunnel!

AlanBrom

Second Unit
Since REMO is 1.85:1, does anyone know if it was shot open matte or not? At least we will not lose information, just gain more than we're supposed to see.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Alan,

the film was shot flat and composed for 1.85:1. And no, you don't lose any info, but what you DO lose is something just as important..composition.

And to those with region free players, that's great news and their may be light at the end of your tunnel. But to those of us with only R1 players, our tunnels are still dark as shit. :frowning:

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
Man, oh man, oh maaaaannnnnnnnn ...

This was one of my wife's favorite movies back when we were first married ... but ya know what??? ---

NO OAR = NO SALE !! :thumbsdown: :angry: :thumbsdown:

Matthew Watson

Stunt Coordinator
I emailed MGM a few months ago concerning the fullscreen Miracle Mile release. I also mentioned The Missionary (w/ Michael Palin) as another release I wouldn't be picking up, though I'm a big fan of both films. No reply, though I suppose I didn't expect one. As I said in a Miracle Mile thread here, the format and the audience should be mature enough to support OAR for all releases, especially for catalog titles that film fans like us have been waiting for.

Also on the MGM front, today's DVD File listed the September calendar. It includes three John Sayles releases (good news) and two of them are even OAR (bad news - anyone know what the OAR of Return of the Secaucus Seven is?)

Colin Davidson

Second Unit
I also will NOT be purchasing this title.

Do they really think the average consumer will even remember this movie much less purchase it?

I have made my thoughts known to MGM via their website.

Colin

JohnMM

Stunt Coordinator
I have been waiting for this title for a long time, but won't buy the fool-screen either.

Simon_Lepine

Supporting Actor
Loved this in the theater also, still clearly remember the theme music even thoguh I haven't seen it since it's release.

No OAR = No sale of course

Brian Patrick

Auditioning
I'm another who will not be getting it. I had every intention of getting it if it had been done right. My friend and I grew up watching this movie. We absolutely loved it. MGM loses another purchase because of boneheaded decision making.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Has anyone e-mailed MGM to complain? I am going to do it this afternoon. We need to let them know this is a terrible insult to those of us who have waited for this title. WB caved on Willy Wonka, maybe MGM will get the message.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
the film was shot flat and composed for 1.85:1. And no, you don't lose any info, but what you DO lose is something just as important..composition.
not to mention 33% of your resolution in the 16x9 area for viewers with 16x9 diplays (zooming the image to 1.85:1 will sacrifice 1/3 the resolution that DVD is capable of delivering).

Only one right answer: 16x9 WS.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
David,

I have a 16x9 and you know what, if they decided to release this in letterboxed 1.85:1 instead of anamorphic, i'd still buy it. My monitor has outstanding 3-2 Pulldown circuitry that makes these types of dvd's look great.

I realize the importance of anamorphic 16x9, but in the end though, retaining the films OAR is what matters most to me. Obviously i'd prefer an anamorphic edition though.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Has anyone e-mailed MGM to complain?
I wrote to my contact at MGM yesterday.

I have a feeling I will not be receiving a
reply -- especially after they read this thread.

I'm sorry if the studio feels that all of us are
being a bit harsh on them in this thread, but they
need to start realizing the damage they are doing
with some of these FULL FRAME decisions they are
making.

MGM gets loads of praise from us when they do
things RIGHT. I have applauded them countless
times on their transfers and recent 2-disc
Special Editions. They receive more gratitude
from this forum than none.

Every time there's a complaint or problem,
however, I rarely hear back from the studio.
I don't expect things to be any different this
time.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I realize the importance of anamorphic 16x9, but in the end though, retaining the films OAR is what matters most to me. Obviously i'd prefer an anamorphic edition though.
Not sure why OAR matters to you in this case either...since zooming the title on your 16x9 TV will produce results identical to a 4x3 lbxed transfer that is zoomed.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
David,

surely you must be joking! :laugh:

Dude, take a look at my location file, the day I buy a foolscreen transfer will be the day hell indeed freezes over. :)

Sorry, it's not up to me to do that, the studio is responsable for these things, not me. They screwed up, i'm not going to jump through hoops to compensate for their stupidity. You can see my point right?

No chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks