What's new

Receiver dilemna (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Nick
Once again, thank you very much for your help, Ed! I'll take a look at the info in the morning.

Juan - do you know of any comparisons are you just referring to cnet in general. I've been to the site a few times and haven't seen a direct comparison.

VM8444 - I have absolutely no idea what the heck you're getting at with your last two posts. I appreciate your feedback, but I would say it's safe to assume at this point that I don't need anything else from ya'. Take care...

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Wow! I don't believe this! I came back, after watching some tv, and opened Firefox again to get back online, and the page I lost was suddenly back! Very strange! I think I'm in the Twilight Zone tonight!

I've copied it and going to paste it below. So, here's the comparisons I did. You can double check them on those links I put above, and see for yourself........... See what I mean about slow typist. 45 mins. just for that little bit. Of course, that included looking at both sites too.

Onkyo 707-------------------------100 watts.............Denon 1910----------90 watts
Channels--------------------------7.2......................................................7.1
THX certified---------------------------------Yes...........................................No (if it matters)
4 ohms certified----------------------------Yes...........................................No
Burr-Brown DACs--------------------------Yes...........................................No
Phono Input----------------------------------Yes............................................No
Audio Inputs (Opt./Coax)---------------3/3.............................................2/2
S-Video I/O----------------------------------5/1.............................................1/0
HDMI I/O-----------------------------6 (5 rear + 1 front)/1.............................4/1
Analog to HDMI upconversion--------Yes............................................No (just to component)
Multi-Channel analog Inputs-----------No.............................................Yes
Analog Pre-Outs---------------------------Yes (7.2)....................................No

Sorry the layout is so screwed up.
These are the big differences. There's smaller differences too. Check their sites. In this list, the only advantage the Denon had over the Onkyo is Multi-Channel Analog Inputs.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
You can also go to retail sites like Vanns.com and Onecall.com and use the Compare feature. Just click on the "View All" tab in the upper right-hand corner of the Receivers page first.

As you can see from Ed's post, the 1910 is really more comparable to the 607 than the 707. The 707's MSRP is $300 more than the 1910. Street prices are a lot closer. That's why Onkyo's are known for giving bang-for-your-buck.

jja4151

Grip
Real Name
Juan
Remove from comparisonRemoveRemoveProduct name
Onkyo TX-SR707
33650441-2-120-0.gif

playVideoOverlaySm.gif

Denon AVR-1910 (black)
Price$629.00 to $849.97$444.00 to $549.99CNET editors' rating
  • stars Overall score: ( stars)

• 3.5 stars Overall score: 7.3 (3.5 stars)

Average user rating 4.5 stars
Release date June 15, 2009The Bottom Line The Denon AVR-1910 is a fully featured midrange AV receiver with standout upconverted video quality, although it's held back by some subpar design issues and average sound quality.Similar ProductsCompare more products
Compare more products
FeaturesSurround System Class7.2 channel
7.1 channel
THX certifiedYes
Info unavailableS-Video output1 day(s)
Info unavailableS-Video input5 day(s)
Info unavailableRadioRadio tuner - AM/FM - 40 preset stations
Radio tuner - AM/FM
HDMI SwitchingInfo unavailableYes
Optical Digital InputYes
Yes
Optical Digital OutputInfo unavailableYes
Enclosure ColorInfo unavailableBlack
Built-in DecodersDTS decoder
Dolby TrueHD
Dolby Digital
Dolby Digital Plus
DTS-HD Master Audio
Dolby Pro Logic IIz
DTS 96/24
DTS decoder
Dolby TrueHD
Dolby Digital
Dolby Digital EX
DTS-ES Matrix 6.1
Dolby Digital Plus
DTS-ES Discrete 6.1
DTS-HD Master Audio
Dolby Pro Logic IIz
DTS-HD High Resolution
Weight39.7 lbs
23.6 lbs
Manufacturer Warranty2 years warranty
Info unavailableFull contract period2 years
Info unavailableSound Output ModeSurround Sound
Surround Sound
Service & support details typeLimited warranty
Info unavailableProduct DescriptionOnkyo TX SR707 - AV receiver - 7.2 channel
Denon AVR 1910 - AV receiver - 7.1 channel
Response Bandwidth5 - 100000 Hz
Info unavailableRemote ControlUniversal remote control - Infrared
Universal remote control - Infrared
MicrophoneNone
Info unavailableVideo Conversion/ScalingAnalog to HDMI up conversion
Analog to HDMI up conversion
Dimensions (WxDxH)17.1 in x 17.1 in x 7.8 in
17.1 in x 14.8 in x 6.7 in
Coaxial Digital InputYes
Yes
Product TypeAV receiver
AV receiver
Amplifier signal-to-noise ratio106 dB
Info unavailableFull specificationsFull specificationsFull specificationsBuying choicesAmazon.com
$799.00
In stock: See Site
Crutchfield
$649.99
In stock: Preorder
Amazon.com Marketplace
$699.00
In stock: Yes
Prices from 4 CNET Certified stores

Amazon.com
$549.00
Crutchfield
$549.99
Amazon.com Marketplace
$548.00
Prices from 10 CNET Certified stores

Remove from comparisonRemoveRemove

Here is the info for both unit, and if you want more click on link.

Real Name
Nick
Wow, talk about getting some help - thanks AGAIN guys. After reviewing all of the information above, there sure seems to be a real good case made to go with the Onkyo. The big thing holding me back right now is price. However, I know it was available at different times for $499 so I think I may just play the patient game and wait until it creeps back down in price again. I refuse to buy it for what it is going for now when just a month ago it was $499. While I would love to have the unit tomorrow, I really don't need it urgently and can wait it out until the price comes down, which it will eventually. I'll do some more reading, however, I think the Onkyo is the best receiver for my needs.

One question though - from what is listed above, Analog to HDMI upconversion (Onkyo)Yes............... (Denon) No - just to component.

Does that mean that I can plug ANY video source into the Onkyo and I only need a single HDMI cable to my TV whereas the Denon requires multiple cables to the TV if they are not all HDMI? That is, if I have an s video cable, I would need to run an s video cable to the tv? Or is upconversion referring to increasing the quality from analog?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Originally Posted by saltinewarrior
Does that mean that I can plug ANY video source into the Onkyo and I only need a single HDMI cable to my TV
Yes.

Or is upconversion referring to increasing the quality from analog?
That's more like upscaling. (like upscaling dvd to near HD quality)
Upconversion (upconverts s-video or component signal to HDMI) so you have only one cable to the tv, instead of several.
People get upscale and upconvert mixed up all the time.

Real Name
Nick
Ed - thanks for the clarification. On a related note, I'm a little confused because the specs you listed states that Denon is not able to do analog to HDMI upconversion. However, based on the specs that jja4151 listed above, which seems to be consistent with what I have seen on Denon's website regarding the 1910, it can in fact do analog to HDMI upconversion.

Few other questions...

1. What does Multi-Channel analog Input do? I'm not sure if this is even something that I care about, but I want to make sure as this one thing that the Denon 1910 has over Onkyo.

2. How big of a deal is 4 ohms certified? How big of a deal is Burr-Brown DACs? Onkyo has both while Denon does not but I'm wondering really whether this is something that I would notice.

3. Does the Onkyo allow you to custom label digital inputs as does the Denon unit?

4. I've read replies to my initial post that I may not be comparing apples to apples. Therefore, if I were to go up to the 2310CI, would the tables be turned or would you guys STILL favor the Onkyo 707? The reason I ask is that if play the waiting game but the price of the Onkyo does not decrease much (say over a couple of months), then the two units would be fairly comparable in price as I found a place to buy the 2310CI in the $630 range.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Denon's website regarding the 1910, it can in fact do analog to HDMI upconversion.

It does appear to do analog to hdmi.

1) M/C analog Inputs are for hooking up devices with internal decoders like SACD/DVD-A players. This allows the device to do the decoding instead of the receiver.

2) 4 Ohm certified is a big deal if you have 4 Ohm speakers. If your speakers are 6-8 Ohm as most of them are then it's not needed. But it will give you the option to buy them in the future if you wish. Burr-Brown DACs are nice to have (as are Wolfson) but not essential. A feather in the cap so to speak. Most probably couldn't tell the difference but it does emply better sound quality.

3) I believe so. See page 88 of the manual. Speaking of manuals, I always suggest you download the manuals of each receiver you are considering and give them a good going over. You can learn a lot.

4) Onkyo fans would still choose the 707 and I probably would as well. Their just doesn't seem to be enough additional features in the 2310 that I would use to justify the extra cost. The main ones that I can see are 15 more wpc (hardly noticable), detachable power cord, phono input, PC setup, ethernet input and rs-232 port. Others may find those worth-while but I wouldn't. The 1910 would be my Denon choice. 1910-vs.-2310

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Originally Posted by gene c
It does appear to do analog to hdmi.
Looking back, I see that now. I promise it wasn't on my screen before. I typed exactly what was on my screen. I think my computer has been having some kind of problem with how it displays pages. Something similar happened at another site. I also had a page just disappear, for no reason, earlier in this thread. Something strange is going on with my computer, and I don't like it. I recently had a new motherboard, new processor and new ram memory installed, after it died on me. I'm gonna have a talk with the guy at the computer store.............
Sorry for the mix up.

Real Name
Nick
No problem, Ed, you have been very helpful.

I found the Onkyo 707 for $520 shipped from an authorized dealer, although it is a refurbished unit. Being that it is refurbished, I would only get a year warranty versus two if it were new. The fact that I would love to have the receiver now tempts me to buy it but being that the price has been down to $499 on Amazon before, I would think it's just a matter of time before it is again.

What are your thoughts - would you guys wait or take the plunge?

jja4151

Grip
Real Name
Juan
1- Multichannel is the original way to process the sound in a regular 5.1 channel receiver. Each sound channel is feed it to the receiver directly. Now, HDMI come to place because it eliminates the use of so many cables. Now, it does not mean that HDMI is 100% better, but 20% to 30% better.

2- In respect to the other questions, gene c is okay.

3- In the end it is going to be a difficult decision to make. It will come down to how comfortable you feel with either unit. I do not like Onkyo but it has better ratting in the sound area. I had no experience with the 1910( I went to Best Buy to test it, but they did not had it connected) but Cnet had it on top when it comes to graphic.

Good luck.

Real Name
Nick
JJa4151 - that's where I found the price.

The only unfortunate thing is that because they reside in Florida (where I live), I would have to pay 35 bucks tax plus approx 15 bucks for shipping which would add 50 bucks to the $499.99 for a refurbished Onkyo 707. It still may be worth it, but I'm just having a little difficult of a time justifying the expense when Amazon was selling brand new units for $499 (no tax and free shipping).

Real Name
Nick
JJa451 - I'm very curious as I've heard from a couple of people who are pro-Onkyo - why do you not like Onkyo?

jja4151

Grip
Real Name
Juan
It is not that I do not like Onkyo, it is the fact that I had bad experience with their customer service. To me a product had to have different qualities and not just one. The fact that Onkyo has a good sound does not mean it is a solid unit. Now think about it. Onkyo has a good sound but not a great video. If you are watching a great movie such as Saving private Ryan you will want to connect the quality of the viewing with the sound. If you do not believe me, try it. Close your eyes while watching a good movie and you will notice that it is not the same. Now, if you are listening to music, it is different. Try to listen to Hotel California or Please download it to a CD or DVD and take it to a place were the two unit are on. Now while listening to the sound close your eyes and try to percive the sound that are coming out of the speakers (try to use the best speakers that are connected to the system) I bet all the money in the world that there will be not a different between the system.
If you could not determined any different between the units, why pay more. Please try it and let me know.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I don't like Panasonic's customer service. I'll never own another Panasonic product because of it. I don't recommend Panasonic products to anyone either. But, I don't try to talk anyone out of Panasonic, if that's what they're interested in. A lot of people like Panasonic plasma tvs. I don't like plasmas, no matter what brand. I'll mention I don't like plasmas, and tell why, but I don't try to stop them from buying a Panasonic plasma.

I like both Denon and Onkyo, and Yamaha are ok too. I don't care for HK, Marantz, and some others. I have no real feelings one way or the other about Pioneer receivers. Of the one's I like, I think Onkyo is more bang for the buck. An awful lot of people have them, and like them a lot. I wonder why? I pushed them a little harder in this thread because I was asked what I liked, and was asked to explain the advantages of the Onkyo model over the Denon model. So I've pushed it a little more than usual, in this thread, because I was asked. It's fine if you don't like Onkyo or their customer service, but there's no need to try to talk people out of them, when they're interested, (and so many people like them) just because you had a bad experience with their customer service.

jja4151

Grip
Real Name
Juan
(try to use the best speakers that are connected to the system) I bet all the money in the world that there will be not a different between the system.
If you could not determined any different between the units, why pay more. Please try it and let me know.
I do not know why you could not understand that there will be no different between the system. Since there is no different, why pay more? It will be disrespetfull for us to start fighting about what we like or dislike when
  • saltinewarrior just want to get information about both system. All I will like him to do is to listen to both unit and pick one.
  • Thank you

Don Mc

Auditioning
If I may ask, does the Onkyo 707 accept a 1080p input and output the same to an HDTV? I need a receiver that does that as well as internally decodes all the current HD audio formats. Too many receivers I have looked at only output 1080i at best. That seems to me to defeat the purpose of having a Blu Ray player. Thanks for any info.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks