What's new

Receiver dilemna (1 Viewer)

jja4151

Grip
Real Name
Juan
I would like to know exactly what is your question. Do you want to up convert regular DVD to 1080p? Is it a BD? If it is a BD it is already 1080p so your receiver does not have to decode it or convert it to nothing. If it goes in as 1080p it will come out as 1080p.
example: Signal Processing Features
  • HDMI Switching Yes
  • HDMI Version 1.3a
  • HDMI Pass-Through Up to 1080p
  • Video Conversion/Scaling Analog to HDMI up conversion
  • Upscaling via HDMI Up to 1080i

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Originally Posted by Don Mc

If I may ask, does the Onkyo 707 accept a 1080p input and output the same to an HDTV? I need a receiver that does that as well as internally decodes all the current HD audio formats. Too many receivers I have looked at only output 1080i at best. That seems to me to defeat the purpose of having a Blu Ray player. Thanks for any info.
Looks like it does.
It upscales to 1080p Over HDMI, and upconverts analog to HDMI.
Of course, an upconverted 1080p picture isn't going to look quite as good as a real 1080p picture from Blu ray, but you may not even notice unless they are side by side pictures.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
If I may ask, does the Onkyo 707 accept a 1080p input and output the same to an HDTV? I need a receiver that does that as well as internally decodes all the current HD audio formats. Too many receivers I have looked at only output 1080i at best. That seems to me to defeat the purpose of having a Blu Ray player. Thanks for any info.

I think most any hdmi receiver will accept a 1080P signal and pass it thru as 1080P basically un-touched. There are some receivers that will only up-scale a lesser signal to 1080i. Usually older models or the entry level newer ones.

Don Mc

Auditioning
Originally Posted by jja4151

I would like to know exactly what is your question. Do you want to up convert regular DVD to 1080p? Is it a BD? If it is a BD it is already 1080p so your receiver does not have to decode it or convert it to nothing. If it goes in as 1080p it will come out as 1080p.

example: Signal Processing Features
  • HDMI Switching Yes
  • HDMI Version 1.3a
  • HDMI Pass-Through Up to 1080p
  • Video Conversion/Scaling Analog to HDMI up conversion
  • Upscaling via HDMI Up to 1080i
I want to connect a Sony BDP 560 to the receiver, and there was some confusion as to whether or not my current receiver (Sony DN1000) would take a 1080p input. The Sony manual is confusing on that subject. I was looking for a replacement for the Sony. Thanks for your response.

Don Mc

Auditioning
Originally Posted by Ed Moxley

Looks like it does.
It upscales to 1080p Over HDMI, and upconverts analog to HDMI.
Of course, an upconverted 1080p picture isn't going to look quite as good as a real 1080p picture from Blu ray, but you may not even notice unless they are side by side pictures.
Thanks, I appreciate the information.

jja4151

Grip
Real Name
Juan
I have a DN1000, Bravia 1080p 46", and infinity speakers myself. The DN1000 take the movie at 1080p and reproduce it at 1080p. When it comes to upscale, it can only go to 1080i. But, no receiver can upconvert regular dvd to 1080p. They alway tell you that it can go up to 1080p.(not that it will). To me the DN1000 is the best receiver for the money. I have my receiver connected to a set of infinity speakers and it is great. your BDP 560 will work fine with the DN1000. Trust me.

Real Name
Nick
I just wanted to report that I finally made a purchase. While I went back and forth between receivers many times, I ultimately found the receiver that I believe will best suit my needs. I decided to purchase the Denon 1910 after all. After continuing to do more reading about the Denon 1910, most of the reviews that I came across were pretty consistent in that it has superior video quality over the Onkyo. As for audio quality, I don't believe Cnet was on mark. Based on all other reviews I read, audio quality was rated very good. Four HDMI inputs should be enough for my needs so that wasn't an issue, although I do like the HDMI input on the front of the Onkyo receiver. It also came down to my confidence with Denon as my last two receivers have been Denon and are still working well. The remote control is a non-issue as I will use my Logitech universal remote. The other big factor was that I was able to get the 1910 for $411 (shipped) from an authorized Denon dealer after being able to apply a 25% coupon at the online store.

I now really look forward to receiving it and getting it hooked up in my living room!

Real Name
Nick
Received the Denon 1910 this weekend. I look forward to hooking it up but may not have time until this weekend. I'll report back after I have time to give it some tests.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Either reciever would meet your needs, but you wrote that you plan on hooking up your PC to the reciever. So that should seal the deal for the Onkyo.

Steelhorse

Auditioning
Real Name
Will
I just bought a new receiver. I was looking at the Onkyo 707 and Pioneer 21 or 23 and leaning toward the Onkyo because of price and features. Then I was hearing about the heat. I looked at one in the store and it is definitely cooking. I couldn't leave my hand on top of it. I considered using some type of small fan to blow air over the top but I wound up going with the Pioneer 23. I was actually going to go with the 21 which is close to your price range I think but they were out and gave me $100 of the 23. I am glad I did I sold a Vsx-55 Elite to get it and I'm happy with it.
Will

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I to have been looking at recievers to replace my 12 yr old Yamaha and the only reason I have not pulled the trigger yet, no money! I have even looked into the lower end models like the Onkyo TX-SR707 and the Denon AVR-1910. For me I need to have the analog inputs for my multi-channel DVD-A/SACD player. And for me the ability to add external amplification down the road is also important. Both offer up to date decoding and a good amount of HDMI conductivity. IMHO the THX certification is not so much of a plus to me anymore. There are certain brands that are not certified that actually surpass THX requirements and choose not add the cost of the THX badge. But I would how ever wonder about a product that tried and failed the THX certification process, like Bose!

The Onkyo appears to have 10 more watts than the Denon but in the real world the Onkyo may end up putting out the same or maybe less? I agree with others that if you get the Onkyo do not close it in as the Onkyo's run hot. Another thing I am not thrilled about on the Onkyo is that it caps the component video at 50MHz and the Denon caps it's component video at 60MHz. Granted at it's price point there is a certain amount of things that will be cut back and that is why it is as cheap as it is. It also seems to me that companies are cutting back on analog inputs on the lower end models so they can push the higher end offerings. If you do not have alot of sources then ether one of these recievers should do well, just as long as you do not have a really big room. I how ever would side with the Denon for build quality, slighty better components in certain places and customer service. Onkyo does not seem to fare to well in the customer service area for some reason. The best reciever is one that meets your needs and provides good a/v performance.

I like some of the top end models of Onkyo and I like some of the Marantz and Pioneer Elite models as well. But for myself when all is said and done I will most likely wait to replace my Yamaha RX-V995 until I can afford to get ether a Denon AVR-4310 or the Denon AVR-4810. I still will not rule out a Onkyo TX-NR5007 or a Rotel RSX-1560!

Either reciever would meet your needs, but you wrote that you plan on hooking up your PC to the reciever. So that should seal the deal for the Onkyo.

I do not think that the 707 has a ethernet connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks