What's new

RAWHIDE - S3 ? (1 Viewer)

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
I noticed how CBS/Paramount changed the cover art for Gunsmoke Season 3, Volume 1, a change that really wasn't necessary as the original art wasn't all that bad. Apparently though, they are going to let the awful artwork to Rawhide Season 3, Volume 2 stand. Funny how things work sometimes.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Another oddity is the use of Arizona-like "painted desert" scenery being used for the background. I realize that the physiography seen in the series wasn't entirely accurate on all counts, but one thing the trail drive never encountered was something akin to Monument Valley. So far as I know, anyway.

S

silverking

I have to agree about the dreadful cover. Eastwood looks like a character in a spaghetti western, perhaps that is the intention of CBS/Paramount.

Nevertheless this volume features the start of a new drive & contains at least two of my favourite episodes,'Incident of the Running Iron' where Quince nearly gets lynched ,& 'Incident of the Phantom Bugler'where the herd is impounded by a would be range dictator. Favor gets a bad beating in this one.

I'm delighted Rawhide has made it this far & am hopeful for S4 next year. Annoying about the slow rollout though.

michael_ks

Screenwriter

Possibly, but he certainly doesn't embody the character of "Blondie" or "Monco". Your typical 'sagebrush tough' maybe...but only maybe.

michael_ks

Screenwriter

One fan's comments about "Running Iron" on an informative Rawhide fan site that I often refer to follwing my viewing of episodes:

"Tight suspense yarn. The use of the one hour deadline for Quince's execution works well, adding a High Noon flavor. Guest appearances by Darryl Hickman, older brother of 'Dobie Gillis' star Dwayne Hickman (Darryl played Dobie's brother Davie on the show for a short time) and William Shallert as a sadistic army major."

Schallert as a 'sadistic army major'? Now that I have to see.

On "Phantom Buglar":

"The fight scene between Favor and Captain Donahue is one of the best Rawhide ever filmed, leaving our heroic trail boss a bloody mess. How many other TV western series actually let their star get whipped in a fair fight? Another example of one of television's premier, first-rate adult westerns at its best."

That's exactly what impresses me so much about "Rawhide". A trail boss who's not invincible, commits errors in judgement coupled with trail hands who yield to temptation and are willing to drop everything for a better offer...until it backfires on them. Just a great series on so many levels.

S

silverking

Indeed the fight between Donohue (the great Jock Mahoney) & Favor is surprisingly brutal for the time. However not without a blooper.

Mahoney as a top stuntman clearly films his own stunts, whilst Eric Fleming does his own close-ups but a double is employed for the toppling over etc.
Unfortunately Favor is wearing his cutomary leather vest but the stuntman is not.It is clearly obvious as the fight sways back & forth. Surprising that considering the amount of people involved in filming it wasn't spotted.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Does anyone think that these mid-season 3 episodes with the drive coming to an end, Favor going out east, then coming back and starting a new one, would have been better suited for a series finale? That's how I'd like to think of the series ending. It's definitely better than what we later got, no ending at all.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Rawhide Season 3, Volume 2 is now $19.15 at deepdiscount.com. This is after I already ordered it earlier in the week at $26; it has already shipped for me, but maybe others will be luckier.

The other half season sets are the same price as well, $19.15; Season 2, Volume 1; Season 2, Volume 2; Season 3, Volume 1. Nice time to stock up on Rawhide!

michael_ks

Screenwriter

Wouldn't you know it? Ordered this at $26 too. I hate when DD does all this price shifting back and forth. At least I got "Route 66" S1 at $14.99 anyway.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Now is definitely the time to pick up any CBS/Paramount classics from DD. Pretty much everything is 50% off right now. Unfortunately, I generally pick up my favorites early so this sale didn't do a whole lot for me. But it's no reason why others that haven't shouldn't take advantage!

Gary "unbelievably good prices right now - better than the 25% sale for most of these CBS/P classics" O.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks