What's new

RAWHIDE - S3 ? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

I know what you mean (DD). Reminder's already in my Outlook Calendar :) 06/06-22 I have 12 sets so far for for that sale.

I've never stopped to rate my #1 Western so far. I'd rate RH but close or it's also #1 for me as well. Either RH or Big Valley but it's not an "apples/apples" comparison to me, with those 2 shows.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

I agree completely. "Big Valley" is a great, great show and it certainly can labeled as a western. Yet it's nothing like "Rawhide" and comparing the two really isn't fair. "Rawhide" is my favorite traditional western, while "Big Valley" is my favorite western/drama.

Gary "at least that's the way I'd label them" O.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Hooray! S3, vol.2 is being released 12/09/08. Thank God we made it through the Charles Marquis Warren years, at least. Man, I sit on pins and needles awaiting these half season set announcements...

Just watched "Incident of the Slavemaster" on the vol. 1 set the other day. Excellent story and performances by John Agar and Peter Lorre--bullseye!

Stephen Bowie

Stunt Coordinator

Almost certainly the first time the words "excellent," "performance," and "John Agar" have ever been used in the same sentence.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Amen to that, Jeff. This is one of my absolute favorite series that is currently being released on dvd.

Gary "I hope we continue to see this show from CBS/Paramount" O.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Me too. The real nail-biter is if we see Season 4, Volume 1. Hopefully it'll be partnered with Gunsmoke, Season 3, Volume 2 for release sometime early next year!

michael_ks

Screenwriter
The releases have been very consistent since the half season business started: May for the 1st volumes of the season, December for the 2nd. If it can't get fast-tracked, I just hope this schedule holds at least.

BTW, here's a site I came across recently that provides a nice series retrospective, including reviews of nearly every episode:

Rawhide

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
I'm stating the obvious here, but I think what's helping keep this excellent show chugging along on DVD, marketing-wise, is Clint Eastwood. The fact that, from the very beginning, he's the main co-star (and much later, the star, when Eric Fleming eventually leaves the series) means CBS/Paramount can plaster his mug prominently on every half-season DVD cover, without being accused of false advertising.

Since Eastwood is still well-known as a major star/icon (and Oscar-winning director) by the public at large, particularly his association with the "DOLLARS" trilogy, THE UNFORGIVEN, THE OUTLAW JOSIE WALES and HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER, I strongly believe we'll see the entire 8-season run released on disc from CBS/Paramount, unlike unfortunate casualties like HAVE GUN WILL TRAVEL (though, hopefully, that will be un-stalled someday).

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
It will be interesting to see if CBS Paramount releases "Rawhide" past season 3. Currently, the CBS Paramount syndication bible indicates that only the first three seasons have been transferred to high defiinition.

"This series has been transferred into HD and has the following masters:
Network 4x3 HD (Seasons 1 through 3. 84 episodes total)"

It seems to me that if sales are strong for both volumes of season 3, we might see other seasons get the HD treatment. Of course, CBS Paramount could stop issuing the series if sales are poor, or they could issue it in non-remastered form as was the case with the recent release of "Cannon." As much as I like CBS Paramount's vintage releases, the "Cannon" release and "The Fugitive" music fiasco are a couple of steps backward for this company and suggest that there is serious cost cutting going on there.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Bob, thanks for the info on Rawhide's remastering. I also agree that CBS/P, after a great start out of the gate for classic TV/DVD, has stumbled a couple of times around the "clubhouse turn" and is in need of getting back on the rail. Having said that though, I'm in for future Rawhide releases. I can't stay away from this one....

"Rollin', rollin', rollin'....though our bills are swollen, keep the sets 'a-comin', Rawhide" :D

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

Jeff, I should clarify that the "syndication bible's" listing for "Rawhide" says that it was last updated on 2/22/08, so it's quite possible that CBS Paramount may have already remastered, or may be in the process of remastering other seasons. All we know for certain is that only the first three seasons have been remastered as of February 22nd of this year.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
It's interesting that they say the first three seasons have been transferred to HD, because HD masters were not used for the Rawhide Season 1 DVD release. In fact, there were a number of episodes in that release that were transferred onto DVD from video masters, namely the episodes that CBS had released on video before, in the 90s, through Columbia House.

Maybe in 2013 or 2014, we'll have the privilege of seeing the season 1 episodes transferred from HD masters when they do the complete series box set.

michael_ks

Screenwriter

That was the date I came up with, about the time when Blu-ray yields to "Infrared-ray" or some such thing...Seriously, I wish Paramount would go back to the full season release for series like these that lasted over 6 years. Full season releases for a 4 year show like "Wild Wild West" and 1/2 season sets for an 8 year show.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
That Rawhide art isn't very good. The Rowdy character doesn't wear that type of clothing in the show. Moreover, looking at it, one might think he was a little slow, what with the one eye squint and the teeth hanging out.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

And Eric Fleming (Gil Favor, trail boss), rest his soul, will never get the prominence on the cover that he so richly deserves.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
It's definitely the worst cover of the five. At first glance, I thought Paramount was playing a joke. Rowdy Yates looks less the rugged drover and more the goofy greenhorn from back east. Wishbone looks distinctly out of character as well. Hopefully Paramount will revise the cover to better capture the show's flavor.

And yes, agree completely with you Bob. Would it hurt to just give Mr. Fleming prominence on just ONE measly set?

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

The picture of Clint Eastwood looks like he has just learned that he will have to "sing" in "Paint Your Wagon."

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
It could also be that he's just realizing that he stepped in something on the trail.

How about putting Sheb Wooley, Pete, on a cover too? He was a big part of the show. And they only have two more opportunities to do it, as he leaves in the fourth season. But then again, if they ever did, that would mean they actually are familiar with the show, which I doubt.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks