1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Questions

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Dennis Castro, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Dennis Castro

Dennis Castro Second Unit

I don't know if I'm in the right section or not for theses questions but here it goes.

What is this region stuff and why is it done?

I understand the concept of widescreen or letterbox. I am a little confused about the differences in the ratios. If a DVD says widescreen, am I always seeing the film as it was shown in the theater no matter what the ratio is?

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Dennis, you live in Region 1, the "home base." Hollywood insists that its home-video product is region-encoded so that titles released to DVD in one region are not played in the other regions where the given film may still be in theatrical release.

4. Dennis Castro

Dennis Castro Second Unit

Ted Lee,

Thank you for links. The links explain everything beautify. I knew about the widescreen vs. full screen thing and I do prefer to watch DVD in the widescreen format. What confused me was that I did not know that there were two different aspect ratios that are used.

Jack Briggs,

Thank for clearing that up!