What's new

3D Blu-ray Review Prometheus 3D Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Jon Spaihts original script is online, and has none of the illogic things and stupid things in the final movie. It's all Lindeloff fault. As for Mr Scott, one has to understand the pressure on the director, the compromises he as to take, and his hope to get this made after a full year or more of development. Sure, he shot it as it was studio approved and played ball, but all the real problems originate from Lindeloff participation only.[/COLOR]

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
HDvision said:
Jon Spaihts original script is online, and has none of the illogic things and stupid things in the final movie. It's all Lindeloff fault. As for Mr Scott, one has to understand the pressure on the director, the compromises he as to take, and his hope to get this made after a full year or more of development. Sure, he shot it as it was studio approved and played ball, but all the real problems originate from Lindeloff participation only.
That script would have resulted in just another Alien film and Ridley Scott clearly decided to do something different. Naturally the ALIEN fans who wanted to see more of the same became hacked off about it but he made a far more interesting, surreal film to inspire the imagination. I loved the film and I'm glad he didn't go for the easy option.

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
But it made half the money it should have made. It clearly failed to find an audience, and this is because of the general disappointment..

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
HDvision said:
But it made half the money it should have made. It clearly failed to find an audience, and this is because of the general disappointment.. 
Failed to find an audience? It made $400 million world wide which is a big box office hit.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Douglas R /t/324314/prometheus-3d-blu-ray-review/120#post_4003622
Failed to find an audience? It made $400 million world wide which is a big box office hit.

Exactly, it was a big worldwide hit, it made it's money, especially so when DVD and Blu ray are included in the final profits.

I have a question, i have the 3D edition ( and 2D ) and i am going to watch the film, probably nearer Xmas, i have read some reports that say the spacecraft they find in Alien is actually not the one featured in this film, is this true. ? If so then i can only say that is a poor show, i am building my hope up that we get an explanation for the derelict ship from the first movie and would there really be two such ships crashing on two different planets, hmmm, tell me, please tell me the ship featured in the trailer is the one from Alien, i have been putting off watching this film due to having very high expectations, i don't need another film that just copies the original Alien film but some explanation of how the ship from the original film got there is a must for me and i hope this film does explain that, also is there any explanation of the original Alien species in this film. ?

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
FoxyMulder said:
Exactly, it was a big worldwide hit, it made it's money, especially so when DVD and Blu ray are included in the final profits.
I have a question, i have the 3D edition ( and 2D ) and i am going to watch the film, probably nearer Xmas, i have read some reports that say the spacecraft they find in Alien is actually not the one featured in this film, is this true. ?  If so then i can only say that is a poor show, i am building my hope up that we get an explanation for the derelict ship from the first movie and would there really be two such ships crashing on two different planets, hmmm, tell me, please tell me the ship featured in the trailer is the one from Alien, i have been putting off watching this film due to having very high expectations, i don't need another film that just copies the original Alien film but some explanation of how the ship from the original film got there is a must for me and i hope this film does explain that, also is there any explanation of the original Alien species in this film. ?
No it's not the same spacecraft and there is no direct connection with ALIEN. By saying you are building up hopes that the film connects with ALIEN and provides explanations, you have identified exactly why so many people hate this film - they expected something completely different. They feel betrayed and and therefore viciously attack it.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Douglas R /t/324314/prometheus-3d-blu-ray-review/120#post_4003637
No it's not the same spacecraft and there is no direct connection with ALIEN. By saying you are building up hopes that the film connects with ALIEN and provides explanations, you have identified exactly why so many people hate this film - they expected something completely different. They feel betrayed and and therefore viciously attack it.

The trailer shows a ship that looks identical to the one in Alien, it also shows it crashing or falling from the sky, i don't get it, why have a ship that is the exact same as from the original film but it turns out it isn't, of course people will be disappointed, i'm now disappointed, i now have to seriously lower my expectations before watching this, i thought the whole point of this was it was an Alien prequel that would explain who the guy in the chair was and how the ship crashed onto that planet, naturally seeing a scene from the trailer which shows a crash had me building up my hopes.

Maybe i can now go in with an open mind knowing what not to expect, i might enjoy it more, is there no connection at all with Alien. ?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder /t/324314/prometheus-3d-blu-ray-review/120#post_4003642
Maybe i can now go in with an open mind knowing what not to expect, i might enjoy it more, is there no connection at all with Alien. ?

There is a connection, at least in my mind. We were very satisfied with the end result. I don't want to spoil it all for you...but my assumption is that all ships in the "fleet" are the same and what goes for one ship, goes for all. Therefore, while this may not be the ship we see in Alien and Aliens, I think it's safe to say the explanation we get here would hold up for the Alien ship.

However, your mileage may vary. Go in with no expectations and an open mind.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Douglas R said:
That script would have resulted in just another Alien film and Ridley Scott clearly decided to do something different. Naturally the ALIEN fans who wanted to see more of the same became hacked off about it but he made a far more interesting, surreal film to inspire the imagination. I loved the film and I'm glad he didn't go for the easy option.
You keep belaboring this point. I can only speak for myself, but my dislike of Prometheus has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that it's not "just another Alien film." I dislike Prometheus because for me it's not a GOOD film. Not by a long shot.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Ted Van Duyn said:
First Spaceship on Venus was a better movie, and it has a lot of material that Prometheus would actually use.
Ha, Red Planet was a better movie than Prometheus, at least it knew it was a big dumb pulp science fiction film (but enjoyable, I have the Blu). I'm being provocative here!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
HDvision said:
As for Mr Scott, one has to understand the pressure on the director, the compromises he as to take, and his hope to get this made after a full year or more of development.
Did Ridley Scott look at Lindelof's script and think it was worse than the previous draft and go with it anyway? I think it's very safe to assume that he liked Lindelof's draft more than Spaihts.
I see Stephen's earlier point about how Scott, as captain of the ship, deserves the blame but I still think that the credit or blame lays with more than one man.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I, too, am perplexed by the implication that most of the criticism of Prometheus is from fans of Alien who wanted more of the same. I've never liked the original Alien movie, and I disliked Prometheus, too. It was just a bad movie, with a silly plot, nonsensical science and stupid characters.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
TravisR said:
Did Ridley Scott look at Lindelof's script and think it was worse than the previous draft and go with it anyway? I think it's very safe to assume that he liked Lindelof's draft more than Spaihts.
I see Stephen's earlier point about how Scott, as captain of the ship, deserves the blame but I still think that the credit or blame lays with more than one man.
I think Scott made exactly the film he wanted to, with little to no interference from the studio. He even got his desired R rating.
Doug

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Scott makes 3 films at the same time. He supervise editing his last while shooting his new, and between shots, he goes over the script of the next with the writer. I'm guessing he didn't even realise the stupidity of most of Lindeloff script, because he was too much more interested by the visuals. Plus, Lindeloff knows how to make a script flow, as his style his easy to read. So people mistake that for a good film. Just because iit reads doesn't mean it will work, people go see a movie, not a read a script on screen.

Real Name
Anthony
Poor Ridley. In what other profession would we excuse the shoddiness of one job because the practitioner was doing two other jobs at the same other time? Would you be so forgiving of an overworked plumber? Would you accept the fact that your table collapsed when the carpenter pleaded that he was working on three other tables at the time?
Much as I think Lindelof brought some pseudo-Christian rubbish to the table, the Director has to take full and complete responsibility for the end product. With his nonsensical insistence that Deckard was always a replicant - not true according to screenwriters or cast - Scott has proven that he has no real understanding of why his best films work. He thinks of a visual moment and then the screenwriters have to find some way of justifying it. They have zero power over his whims. If he can't tell a bad screenplay from a good one by now, then it's time to retire.
And given his position, Scott has no need to keep bending over for studio execs: He does so because he is a commercial businessman, who can live with the idea of a rotten movie more easily than he can live with the idea of a loss-making movie.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I agree with those who say that Prometheus is a bad movie. In fact, I think it's the worst Ridley Scott movie I've ever seen.
But in general I'm a fan of his work. And I think he's made a lot of good films in the last dozen years. Gladiator, Black Hawk Down, Kingdom of Heaven, and Robin Hood are all good films imho.
But Prometheus was really botched....I don't see how this one could be saved even if there is a sequel. And right now I'm hoping they don't make one. In my opinion, they should also skip the Blade Runner reboot.

Ted Van Duyn

Stunt Coordinator
Douglas Monce said:
He even got his desired R rating.
Doug
Ironic considering that the film still feels like it was shot with the intent of being PG-13.
- Only one clear audible F bomb with another being distorted by static.
- Violence is mostly non-bloody with the exception of the obvious re-shot zombie sequence. Seriously, the Engineer pushes people to death.
- There's a PG-13 cut of the C-Section sequence.
There's a difference between movies that are shot with the intent of being R-Rated, and movies that are shot PG-13 and being R-Rated after the fact. Look at DREDD for example. Now that is a film that was shot with the intent of being an R-Rated film. I don't get that with Prometheus at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks