1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

projectors explained

Discussion in 'Displays' started by gerry in mtl, Oct 23, 2013.

1. gerry in mtl

gerry in mtl Member

gerard
    Hi,

I am new to the projector world, and I am trying to understand a few things.
    I have been researching quite a bit, but I still don't understand some differences, for instance what the difference is between an educational projector and a home theater one.

I would compare for instance a Benq MX520, that has a 13000:1 contrast, 3000Lumens, and XGA
    with a Benq W7000 that has 50000:1 contrast, 2000lumens and 1080P

The W7000 will have better blacks and shades, but given that I am going to be using this projector to view netflix movies NOT in HD definition, would the MX520 do the trick for a decent movie experience?

What other difference besides the contrast would I notice?

I plan on using chromecast connected to an Ipad to stream the movies, and probably project on a wall, or a cheapish screen. I'll hook up my audio system to the projector thru the audio out connector. Room will be dark enough, and I'll have a distance of about 10-15 feet from projector to screen.

Thanks to all in advance!

Gerry

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Well-Known Member

Jim
    Simply put, the MX520 s a "conference room" projector with a 4:3 aspect ratio. It is NOT designed for home theater. Also, business projectors usually have a 2X color wheel speed, which is likely to show rainbows to most people. What is your budget for projector? If the MX520 is at the top of your budget, I would recommend you just stream to a TV.