What's new

projectors explained (1 Viewer)

gerry in mtl

Auditioning
Real Name
gerard
Hi,

I am new to the projector world, and I am trying to understand a few things.
I have been researching quite a bit, but I still don't understand some differences, for instance what the difference is between an educational projector and a home theater one.

I would compare for instance a Benq MX520, that has a 13000:1 contrast, 3000Lumens, and XGA
with a Benq W7000 that has 50000:1 contrast, 2000lumens and 1080P

The W7000 will have better blacks and shades, but given that I am going to be using this projector to view netflix movies NOT in HD definition, would the MX520 do the trick for a decent movie experience?

What other difference besides the contrast would I notice?

I plan on using chromecast connected to an Ipad to stream the movies, and probably project on a wall, or a cheapish screen. I'll hook up my audio system to the projector thru the audio out connector. Room will be dark enough, and I'll have a distance of about 10-15 feet from projector to screen.

Thanks to all in advance!

Gerry

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Simply put, the MX520 s a "conference room" projector with a 4:3 aspect ratio. It is NOT designed for home theater. Also, business projectors usually have a 2X color wheel speed, which is likely to show rainbows to most people. What is your budget for projector? If the MX520 is at the top of your budget, I would recommend you just stream to a TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks