What's new
World Wide Stereo

Please Recommend an Amp for my system (1 Viewer)

Receiver: Marantz 7200
Front Speakers: Paradigm Studio 80's

From my understanding I guess I should just look at a 2 channel amp and let my Marantz power my center channel and surround and let the stand alone AMp power my big two front speakers? What amp will push them enough?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

RobWil

Supporting Actor
Is there something specific regarding your system that you're not happy with? I'm assuming you want to do this mainly for 2-channel listening? Some of it depends on what they'll be used for and size of the room, etc., but if I had a receiver that put out 105wpc like you do (and I do also) and wasn't happy with the sound I was getting ,and wanted to upgrade for 2-channel listening (which I did also) and had large, floor standers like those I'd look at something at least 200-250wpc x 2. I'll let other people make the recommendations on specific amps though as I am not worthy :) It might help to know how much you wanted to spend.
But,no offense or anything, but you don't sound real sure of yourself. Are you sure this is what you want to do?

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Off the top of my head: Parasound, Sherbourn, Outlaw, Rotel just to name a few.
Like Rob said how much are you willing to spend..do you want to buy new/used? Is it mainly for HT/Music?
These questions will help get more answers....

I will use it for 60% music & 40% Home Theater. I don't have to have brand new. If I can get a good deal on a used Amp I have no prob with that. I guess about $500 for a starting point. What will that get me used or new? I am not locked in at any set price but I guess if I had to have a ceiling it would be around $750. Thanks for everyones help.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
You should be able to Pick up a variety of amps in that price range(Rotel, Parasound, Anthem) to name a few. You should be able to get 150-200 wpc easily.

Being that the 80's are much like the 100's your speakers will enjoy the extra power and should improve.

Nick V

Second Unit
Some nice amps to look for would be the Parasound HCA-1500A, the Rotel RB-1080, the Anthem MCA-20, the B&K Reference 200.2. You should be able to find all of those for around the price you're looking for on the slightly used market. You might want to check out audiogon for used amps, and their going prices.

Arup

Stunt Coordinator
Audiogon and ebay has listings of class A Yamaha MX-1000U and MX-1 at great prices. They are the warmest sounding SS amp and are all MOSFET high current design capable of 1000W into 1ohms.

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
The Parasound 2200II 250x2 for $650 (retail 1800) is a solid amp. Dual mono with a 1.2kVA power transformer per channel. They usually go for 750-850 on ebay. This seller has two for sale, and they sure look mint :)

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.p...ran&1057439213

The Parasound 2003 220x3 for 750 used is a nice buy if you also want to power your center channel.

Dennis LM

Grip
May I humbly suggest the Sony ES line. For a total delivered price from MyDigitalUniverse of $635 I was able to purchase the Sony STR-DA4ES. It is a very powerful, clean, and fully modern home theater receiver with the latest technologies. Also, the older, some argue, better, DA5ES is still around, but you have to look a bit harder for it. The 4ES is very tweakable, too.:D

A visit to Crutchfield.com will reveal the images, specs, and other information on it. I think it's the biggest bang for the buck, too.

ScottRCapt

Stunt Coordinator
Dennis LM,

I am with you on the Sony DA4ES! But I don't think that was his question. He already has a pretty nice receiver in that Marantz 7200. What he is looking to do, is use the pre-outs for his main front speakers and rout the signal through a more powerful amplifier. That would make the Marantz a Pre-Pro, you could also do the same thing with your Sony DA4ES.

Adding an extra amp like this takes a lot of strain off of the receiver and adds to the headroom and definition heard from the main speakers. It is a great idea and fairly simply done, with the right amount of cash of course!

I looked up some of the specs on his Marantz and I don't think he needs to jump to the Sony if he is happy with his current unit. Here are his current receivers specs:
Marantz SR-7200 Dolby Digital Receiver
105 watts x 6 Channels (8 Ohms)
Dolby Digital® (AC-3) 5.1/6.1,
DTS® 5.1/6.1 Compatible,
Dolby Pro Logic®,
Pro Logic® II (Movie, Music)
Circle Surround® 5.1
Preset Modes: Hall, Stadium, Matrix, Movie
All Discrete Amplifier Stages
192kHz/24-bit D/A Converters
(For front L & R channels)
6 Channel Stereo Mode
Speaker A/B
DC Triggers
Component Video Switching
On Screen Display
Source Direct
Delay Time
30 Presets
Manual Station Naming
Display Dimmer
Timer/Clock
Headphone Jack
Rec Out (Source)
Includes RC1200 Learning Remote Control

Good Luck With Your Upgrade Jakarta Tom!:D

Dennis LM

Grip
I stand corrected and also better informed to boot. Thanks ScottRCapt for the gentle correction. An interesting idea to consider (after I upgrade everything else).;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks