What's new

Which subwoofer should I get? (1 Viewer)

AdamtheNewbie

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
Hey all,

I recently made this account because I've always adored audio and noticed how kind you all are. So I chose to create my first account ever on any forum site I've been on. Over the past couple years I've acquired two Polk monitor 60s (3 - 5.25" drivers and 1 - 1" tweeter), two Polk monitor 40s (2 - 5.25" drivers and 1 - 1" tweeter), and 1 polk cs2 center channel speaker (2 - 6.5" drivers and 1 - 1" tweeter). It took long to obtain these speakers due to the fact that I had a daughter two years ago after purchasing the Polk bookshelves. So my project was inevitably put on hold (due to me only being 19 when she was born). I originally was planning on getting another pair of 40s to build a 7.2 system. But now I'm planning on doing 5 speakers and still buy the 7.2 receiver so I can bi amp the two front Polk's so they can get their recommended 200w @ 8ohms. The only receiver I want can re assign the rear surrounds to bi amp mode for the fronts. The receiver puts out 100w per channel @ 8 ohms. But I saw it actually give 120w @ 8 ohms to the two fronts which was very appealing. Anyways, that's my background. I haven't decided where this system is going yet. Either family room or basement. Family room is 2100ft^3 but it is connected to an 1800ft^3 kitchen. The basement is a bit over 2100ft^3. I am aware the sub I should purchase varies greatly on which location it will be. But I can always get a second one in the future if it will be going upstairs. So let's just say it will go in a 2100ft^3 room. My budget is about 200-400 dollars. I'm willing to wait for special sales on Newegg, Amazon, etc. So if it's a bit above that range, that's okay. I am very interested in the following three subwoofers. Klipsch R-10SW (150w/300w, 10", 112db sensitivity). Polk PSW-505 (300w/460w, 12", ? Sensitivity). And the BIC Formula F12 (250w/475w, 12", 90db sensitivity). I know most of you probably have heard or had experience with the last two. Havent found a wealth of info on the klipsch. I've also heard that since those companies don't specify in subwoofers, to go with SVS, HSU, etc. So that's it. Please feel free to tell me ANYTHING that you guys think could help me out. I greatly appreciate your guys' wonderful knowledge in home theater. Btw, this is my first system ever. Thanks!

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Hey all,

I recently made this account because I've always adored audio and noticed how kind you all are. So I chose to create my first account ever on any forum site I've been on. Over the past couple years I've acquired two Polk monitor 60s (3 - 5.25" drivers and 1 - 1" tweeter), two Polk monitor 40s (2 - 5.25" drivers and 1 - 1" tweeter), and 1 polk cs2 center channel speaker (2 - 6.5" drivers and 1 - 1" tweeter). It took long to obtain these speakers due to the fact that I had a daughter two years ago after purchasing the Polk bookshelves. So my project was inevitably put on hold (due to me only being 19 when she was born). I originally was planning on getting another pair of 40s to build a 7.2 system. But now I'm planning on doing 5 speakers and still buy the 7.2 receiver so I can bi amp the two front Polk's so they can get their recommended 200w @ 8ohms. The only receiver I want can re assign the rear surrounds to bi amp mode for the fronts. The receiver puts out 100w per channel @ 8 ohms. But I saw it actually give 120w @ 8 ohms to the two fronts which was very appealing. Anyways, that's my background. I haven't decided where this system is going yet. Either family room or basement. Family room is 2100ft^3 but it is connected to an 1800ft^3 kitchen. The basement is a bit over 2100ft^3. I am aware the sub I should purchase varies greatly on which location it will be. But I can always get a second one in the future if it will be going upstairs. So let's just say it will go in a 2100ft^3 room. My budget is about 200-400 dollars. I'm willing to wait for special sales on Newegg, Amazon, etc. So if it's a bit above that range, that's okay. I am very interested in the following three subwoofers. Klipsch R-10SW (150w/300w, 10", 112db sensitivity). Polk PSW-505 (300w/460w, 12", ? Sensitivity). And the BIC Formula F12 (250w/475w, 12", 90db sensitivity). I know most of you probably have heard or had experience with the last two. Havent found a wealth of info on the klipsch. I've also heard that since those companies don't specify in subwoofers, to go with SVS, HSU, etc. So that's it. Please feel free to tell me ANYTHING that you guys think could help me out. I greatly appreciate your guys' wonderful knowledge in home theater. Btw, this is my first system ever. Thanks!

If you can stretch your budget a bit by waiting, one of these (SVS SB-1000 or PB-1000) might be worth the wait (and extra coin).

AdamtheNewbie

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
I really appreciate the responses so far. If you guys feel strongly about me waiting to buy a 350$+ subwoofer, I will probably take you advice. Now just to figure out which one. Depending on what my pay check is tomorrow, I may pick up that sale HSU stf 2. Again, thank you guys

AdamtheNewbie

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
I really appreciate the responses so far. If you guys feel strongly about me waiting to buy a 350$+ subwoofer, I will probably take you advice. Now just to figure out which one. Depending on what my pay check is tomorrow, I may pick up that sale HSU stf 2. Again, thank you guys
Also, I like the price of the stf-2. Can you describe the subwoofer? I mean aside from specs? Do you have any experience with any of those three?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks