What's new

Please FINISH Peyton Place on DVD! *Official Thread* (1 Viewer)

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
vnisanian2001 said:
Maybe 29 or 30 at best.
Of course, keep in mind that the runtime could change somewhat, weeks before release.
I see thanks, I just realized this was a half-hour show. Was that the case for it's entire run ? I was looking at the runtime as if it was an hour show.

whisperintherain

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Romain
This is great news ! I have been intrigued by this show for a while and have been wanting to see it for quite a while. I've read episode transcripts on a very well-done fansite, which you probably have checked out or been involved with yourself, Charles.
Count me in as someone who will definitely buy this as a blind buy. From what I've read, it seems to be KNOTS LANDING meets MELROSE PLACE before either was born ;). Surely a prime time series that aired three episodes a week at a time must be highly addictive. And the cast list is impressive: besides Dorothy Malone, Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal and Barbara Parkins (who was originally supposed to leave after twelve episodes but proved so popular they decided to keep her around), Gena Rowlands and Lee Grant (in an Emmy Award-winning performance) turn up later on. I have read that this show sadly ends with some loose ends, but this is such an historic show that I'm still willing to give it a go.

Stephen Bowie

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, this is exciting news, and certainly a series I never thought anyone would take on for DVD. (In fact, if I remember correctly, David Levine recently remarked that it's the kind of show that'd look incredibly scary to DVD companies.) So, cheers to Shout Factory.
I would just manage everyone's expectations a bit on the image quality, because the b&w segments looked pretty hairy in their last syndication runs -- I suspect they were quick & dirty transfers 16mm prints, and I doubt anyone will be remastering them. The color episodes looked great, but it would take about, er, 10 of these sets to get to them.
Charles, I'd gotten some info about the unaired pilot from Bill Self and a few others, but nobody remembered who directed it -- do you know?
And, does anyone have contact info for the folks at Shout Factory? Probably more appropriate to send me a PM or e-mail than to post it here.
Stephen Bowie
Classic TV History

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Stephen, I wish I knew- possibly either longtime PP directors Ted Post or Walter Doniger. What other info can you share with us about the pilot- does it still exist? A case can be made that Selena was on the TV version, after all: the character of Rita Jacks is very much cut out of the same cloth- the 'good girl' from the wrong side of the tracks whose past is revealed in a big murder trial.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
I for one would love to see that unaired PILOT with the CROSS family.
I wish they would include it on the FIRST SET !!!
Too, bad the series did not follow the book more closely. So, many characters were lost from the book !! Roberta Carter, Evelyn Page, Ted Carter, among others !!! I happen to think the FILM was one of the ten BEST from the 50's !!!
Very under rated film and very sensational for the 50s !!!

whisperintherain

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Romain
Wasn't Selena introduced later on the daytime continuation series RETURN TO PEYTON PLACE that ran from 1972 to 1974?
Even if the picture quality is not top notch, I hope they don't go around and colorize these episodes. I loathe colorizations and had to buy the first two seasons of BEWITCHED in R1 when I found out that the rest of the world would only get the colorized versions.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Charles,

Can you please post the photo and was Ted Carter in the pilot ? And was Norman , Norman Page or Norman Harrington ?? Was Ted Carter in the pilot as well ??

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if Ted or Norman was in the pilot. Rodney, Betty, Alison, Mike, Constance, Matthew, Leslie and Catherine were in the pilot cast photo with the actors representing the Cross family. Well, I can scan it to my PC, but how do you post said photo onto this page?

Stephen Bowie

Stunt Coordinator
I'm pretty sure it wasn't either Post or Doniger who directed the original pilot. Both Bill Self and Ed Nelson had some vague memories of it, and one of them came close to remembering the original director -- I got the impression it was somebody fairly well known. The answer would likely be in VARIETY from that era, but it would be a chore to dig out. As to whether it exists, well, probably, but the likelihood of Fox being willing or able to dig it out of the vault is not high.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Based on the running time,there is either 28 episodes, if they run 25 minutes each or 30 episodes if they run 24 minutes each.

If I figure correctly - it should take 17-18 boxes to do the series and the follow up tv movies.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Y'all better buy it, despite the "economy," or it'll end up like Mary Hartman--no where.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Peyton Place aired when I was in high school back in the mid 60s. I remember that it ran for a couple of nights a week. I wasn't a fan of the show, but many of the girls in our high school were. I would love to watch the show just for great cast that was in the series.

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
Hallelujah- Charles, I can't believe it. After a crazy day at work, to come home to this news is AWESOME!

I am beside myself- I have watched the first 100 episodes from old tapes, and to see this in pristine shape will be great!!

Can't wait- Congrats Charles- Indeed a great day!

Jack

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Dreams do come true. Shout Factory thankyou thanyou!!! I hope the cast reuinon that appeared on ABC Wide World Of Entertainment will as a bonus in set releases as well the two movies on the show. I thought Rodney was to be killed early on not Betty. I also thought her trip to New York was to be a spin off of the show. I know Dorothy Malone got an Oscar for her great performance in Written on the WInd. I hope the DVds are in good shape but I will take the show what ever the transfer. The writing the camera work the set decorations the music were to me like min movies or if you like mini series. I still cannot believe how great this is. And as someone pointed out those who have a favorite show do not lose hope. I find it ironic that is was on Valentines Day 1997 that fox aired the show on the Romance channel unedited. I saw the rerelease in 1976 and then again but not complete on the USA channel back around at the time of Dallas popularity. Romance however only showed the series all the way through and reaired it only until the fall of 1998. I was 11 years old when the show first aired and watched every episode and would call my Grandma after each airing to review what had happen they were golden years. I would love to hear about more history on the show itself. Was it true the whole cast left for France to film an ending to the show which was never aired in the US. Was it also true a spin off after the ending of the show was to be devleoped on the Rod and Betty characters. I could go on and on. I am also glad they are showing each complete show and not an editing job as MPI first released Dark Shadows and afterward gave us all the episodes. But as I said I would have taken anything just to get this show out there on DVD.
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif

brian_hassel

Agent
Real Name
Brian Hassel
Charles, I've seen your signature so many times, reading other threads, that when I heard the news I was so happy for you! But, I have to admit, now I am very interested in this news as well. I have really enjoyed Peyton Place the movie and Dark Shadows. I just ordered Return to Peyton Place. If I like the movies, should I like the the show?

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
The series is a bit different, given the strict TV censorship of the times, but the writers usually found a way to present risque situations. Also, Mike Rossi is a doctor, there's no Selena, Rodney and Norman are brothers and for the first season it's a Allison/Rodney/Betty triangle until lawyer Steven Cord (a new character) shows up to claim Betty for himself. Also, there's a pregnancy, a shotgun wedding, domestic violence (!), a malpractice suit, and a murder mystery that really changes the plotline during that season, which culminates with another wedding (whose, I won't reveal). The series starts relatively slow, but it picks up within a couple of episodes (a big change in writers behind the scenes) and things begin to happen quickly. Trust me, you will be addicted by the end of the first DVD set- you can thank me later........

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
The coming seasons produce a great murder trial plus a number of other trials. Great guest stars arrive. The one claims an Emmy. The show had several out standing new characters that came and went. The one particular character was kept as a regular. This character soon became the spot light of the show and launched some very interesting plot lines. There is also as the show proceeds from season to season two weddings possible incest two unwed Mothers an unhappy preacher a battle for money an attempted rape and on and on.

Claude North

Second Unit
When I saw this listed on tvshowsondvd.com I thought, "Charles Ellis is probably the happiest person on Earth today."
I won't blind buy this, but I'll definitely check it out on Netflix and purchase it if the first disc hooks me. I'm a big fan of the movies, and I've always been intrigued by the series (especially with that cast!), so I'm glad it's being released.

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
Too say the show is intriguing is an understatement! I have been hooked since the first few episodes. You will be coming back for more!!

Charles, so many of us are happy for you and ourselves with this one!!

Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks