What's new

Pillow Book UK BD (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I started a new thread as I'm sure more than two of us are interested in this film.

My comparison is the version from SPHE 1998. This is pillarboxed, but the screen blowouts fill the screen when needed.

The black and white beginning is fabulous. Looks better than the DVD by a long mile.
Dark scenes the blacks look a tad crushed.

Otherwise, for those interested, you have no issues seeing Ewan in all his glory. Vivian Wu either for that matter.

The audio is the exact same 2.0 PCM from the DVD. At times it seems more at odds than the DVD. But, I'm also comparing a US release DVD vs a UK R2 BD. There will be times the audio feels a tad disjointed(used to that from my eons of region free DVD players, so I was expecting it)

Anyway. Since this has the likelihood of "next to never" to see a US BD release...

It is worth it to pick up a region free BD player.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Would certainly like to see this again but would you clarify please?
I presume it is transferred at 1.85 and the varying aspectic ratios are within that format?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
My NC-17 DVD of Pillow Book by Sony Pictures Home Entertainment(SPHE) doesn't list the aspect ratio on the rear. I assume it is anamorphic 16:9. I have no idea...since it doesn't say.

This UK BD is pillarbox 16:9 with "big sides". During most of the film the pillars and top/bottom bars are the exact same "width". Meaning the picture is perfectly centered. Only during some scenes, and during the "pip delay" sequences, is the entire top and bottom of the screen used. The pillar box sides are always there. The DVD I have, the entire width and height are always used. I presume the "tall" framing of the movie is correct(it is narrower than 4:3).

I've never cared to check the framing used during filming. I just assume the BD is correct. I can only assume the DVD was formatted to fit the vast majority of 4:3 TV in use and "stretched" to fit 16:9. As "we yanks" dislike black bars.

For the record it says...16:9 Pillarboxed...on the BD jacket.
The audio is listed as 2.0 stereo.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way, IF I can find a scene showing the full size top to bottom framing(the vast majority involve NSFW material) being narrower than 4:3 I'll post a screen capture. One of the scenes, and the BD framing of this is far superior to what was done on the DVD, is when the "first of 13 books" is presented to the publisher. That scene, and its framing...alone...make this a purchase.

I just watched, and enjoyed, the absolute clarity this BD provided. For once the calligraphy is easily seen.

Also, the scene where the calligraphy is being "projected" and is already printed on her body. You can clearly see both sets of lettering(I guess that scene technically is not calligraphy).

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I just did my own research of my DVD of Pillow Book. Apparently there was an early release that kept the screen filled the entire movie. This version, which I have, means that the scene I spoke of earlier that begins the section "first of 13 books" is extended out of the screen. Went back and sure enough, roughly 10% is squeezed out of both the top and bottom during the "tall stretch" scenes.

There is a "Greenaway supervised" redo of the SPHE disc that keeps the original framing.

The Greenaway supervision is what is used for this Blu Ray.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
john a hunter said:
Would certainly like to see this again but would you clarify please?
I presume it is transferred at 1.85 and the varying aspectic ratios are within that format?
tried to order this yesterday at Amazon UK but could only find the old 2008 (I think) version. Who has released this one please?

john a hunter

Screenwriter
John Hodson said:
It's here; from Park Circus
That's the version I found John but it is from 2011. I was under the impression(wrongly?) that this was a new remaster. I had heard that this 2011 release was 1.33:1 with the film letterboxed in that area. Am getting very confused.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
IF you are familiar with the SPHE "revision" disc supervised by Greenaway....which is what I already said...

It is the same framing as that DVD. Doesn't matter it is "from 2011". There is a thread stating "what would you most like on Blu?".

One responder added this movie, which prompted me to post it in that thread. Then I looked around Amazon UK/Fr/DE and found it appalling what BFI and Park Circus already released "over there" that we don't have yet.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Mark Walker said:
For the Park Circus's Blu-ray of The Pillow Book, this statement from them regarding the aspect ratio should help:
http://www.parkcircus.com/latest/269_park_circus_statement_on_dvdblu-ray_release_of_the_pillow_book

Okay, I finally feel tempted enough. Region-Free blu-ray player will need to be ordered.
I'll take a raincheck, I think. Long time since I have seen it but I thought the whole point of the wide screen parts was that they should be bigger than the 1.33:1 sequences not smaller!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
So you want a constantly filled screen.Buy the originally released SPHE DVD where you are missing the edges of the movie.To me, seeing it this way was a revelation. Once I knew what I had been missing.Sent from my LG-P769 using HTF mobile app

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
My memory (which could certainly be faulty) of the theatrical screening I saw during its initial release was that the image was 1.85 and the 1.37 sections were pillar boxed within it when they occurred.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The movie is 1.85, till it expands to 4:3(ish).I doubt the movie theatrically was shown full screen 1.85. It would have been impossible. On a 16:9 display, dead center is used as 1.85 with equal black sides all around.Basically, as a guess as I could measure it...On a 50" screen, the 1.85 is roughly 37.(can't confirm that till my replacement Orei shows up)Sent from my LG-P769 using HTF mobile app

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
schan1269 said:
The movie is 1.85, till it expands to 4:3(ish).I doubt the movie theatrically was shown full screen 1.85. It would have been impossible. On a 16:9 display, dead center is used as 1.85 with equal black sides all around.Basically, as a guess as I could measure it...On a 50" screen, the 1.85 is roughly 37.(can't confirm that till my replacement Orei shows up)Sent from my LG-P769 using HTF mobile app
Why "impossible"? They could have reduction-printed the 1.33 material within the 1.85 frame - it's fairly common.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Not if the image was expanded out top and bottom. Sure if they shrunk the original image when 4:3 was needed.Which that I what my SPHE disC does, that everybody complains about.Sent from my LG-P769 using HTF mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.