1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Passive Subwoofer help

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by zero1234567888, Sep 9, 2012.

1. zero1234567888

zero1234567888 New Member

Hello!
    I recently acquired a Harmon Kardon AVR325 receiver, and using some oldish speakers, I created a music 5.1 system. I have 2 JBLs as my main front and lefts, two Rock Solid Monitors and my left and rights, a bw vm6 as my center, and I am having trouble getting my Rock solid 100 watt passive sub woofer to turn on. I have ti wired through the jbls, but it doesn't seem to respond. Can anyone help, or recommend a good, cheap amp that I can connect from the sub to the rca port on the receiver? thanks

2. Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson Well-Known Member

Al
    You definitely need to amplify the signal, the HK uses a line level sub out and the passive speaker needs an amplified signal. I'm not up on sub amps, so I can't help with specifics, but someone will come along soon.

3. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    I moved the thread...
    Anyway, I would like to see how you've managed to run this off the JBL.
    Series? Parallel?
    But your best choice is to buy a mono amp.
    If you can handle used, Sony TA N110 is a good choice. They show up on Fleabay every once in a while.
    If you want new, here you go. There is also a similar amp sold by Dayton as well...
    http://www.amazon.com/Jamo-MPA-101-2X50W-Amplifier-Black/dp/B001E76Z4I/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1347249629&sr=1-1&keywords=jamo+mpa-101

4. av-holic

av-holic New Member

I have had good luck with the Crown product: Crown Commercial Audio Series, 180A It has 1 input and one 80W power amplifier for single-zone systems.