What's new

Parking for the handicapped.. (1 Viewer)

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
We had a handicapped parking space put in front of our house by the town two years ago to accomodate my mother in law who came to live with us. She had a heart condition.

It was just a spot on the street directly in front of our house and the walk leading to the front door, and marked with painted blue lines and two offical town handicapped parking signs..

Many people parked in the spot if it wasn't occupied, including the then 19 year old teenager who lives across the street. One day my mother in law came home and saw this kid walking from his car which he had parked in the spot. She said something to him, he cursed her, and my mother in law told him to remember this day because one day he'd be old and he might need a handicapped spot. He cursed her again, walked away and refused to move his car.

3 months later, the kid got into an accident at work where he was pinned up against a wall by a truck. His leg was crushed beyond repair, and amputated.

My mother in law saw him rolling around in a wheel chair many months later and asked him if he still thought it was ok for people to park in handicapped spots if they didn't need them. Of course, he said no.

Those who actually feel it's not a big deal to do this should wake up because there's a very very good chance they'll need one of these spots some day. Karma is a bitch, and nobody is immune to getting old, injured or sick.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Carl! OH my GOD! I don't mean to laugh at peoples misfortunes, but that was a GREAT story!

I worked with a kid who had a heart condition. The kid was in his 30's and could barely walk. Many times we had to call an ambulance because he'd pass out at work and they'd have to revive him. They even told us that when he went to the hospital, one time, he pretty much died in the elevator and they had to revive him.

There are 2 handicapped spots in our parking lot and many people (who didn't need them) used to park there. I felt so bad that this guy had enough shit to worry about in his life and that looking for a parking spot (because some insensitive asshole, undeservedly took a handicap spot) shouldn't have been one of them.

Colton

Supporting Actor
I wouldn't park in a handicap spot, but I do like to stretch out in the handicap stall. It's like a small room. I don't like those tiny claustrophobic stalls. Now, with this in mind, I very very very rarely use a public restroom if it requires more than just a urinal.

LewB

Screenwriter
The cars of people who park in handicapped spots who are able-bodied deserve the same fate that befell the car that was parked in front of a fire hydrant in 'Backdraft'. (I think it was Backdraft).

The firemen threw the hose with the heavy brass fitting threw the driver side window and brought it out thru the passenger side window. I cheer whenever I see that part of the movie
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Chris

Senior HTF Member
The issue really is that handicap parking spaces provide space for a wheelchair lift to open and recess and to provide passengers a means of getting out.

My brother has OI, and as such, there is a hydraulic gate lift (one that starts in two pieces from the sides and folds together and comes down) out of the side of the van to allow his electric wheelchair to come down. Sure, put it in a stall where nothing is right next to it.. that hydraulic lift will cut the car next to it UP if it doesn't have room to come down (seriously, we had a moment a few years ago where there was a parking space ender/divider in the wrong location next to the van, and when the lift came down, it hit it and jacked the van up off the ground.)

I hate it when people take handicapped stalls. Then again, there are some locations where I don't understand why there are stalls.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Sounds quite plausible, in an odd sort of way. Many people really don't like to be defined by their limitations...

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
At my work, we almost fired a new employee who used her (deceased) mother's handicap placard to park in a handicap spot on her very first day of employment.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Some handicapped people look ok, so don't judege them until you are sure. I am mostly ok, but if my leg decides that it is time to give me a bad time the handicapped spaces can be a lifesaver.

As to the problem, I don't think that you even have to find a cop. Just call the nearest police station up and fill them in on the situation. This way, they can take their time on it, and verify that the tag number belongs to her mother, and that her mother is at home - or at least not working every day.

Glenn

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Yet so few people realize this. I had a friend who was building her "dream home". When she proudly showed mw the floorplan, I noticed that some bedroom, closet, and bathroom doorways were only 26" wide, and the guest bath doorway was only 2 feet wide! She had said that she was going to live in this house the rest of her life, so I suggested that she widen the doorways so they could accommodate a wheelchair. She gave me a puzzled look and said, "But I don't know anybody in a wheelchair." After overcoming my amazement at her level of ignorance, I told her three things: 1 - You haven't yet met everyone your ever going to know; 2 - Someone you know today could be in a wheelchair tomorrow; 3 - That person could be you.

She looked at me as if I were the stupid one who didn't realize that people are in wheelchairs because they are born in wheelchairs.

She built the house the way she designed it.

Three weeks later, she was attacked by zombies, and they tore her legs off.

No, that zombie part didn't really happen. Sorry, I don't have a Karmic ending like Carl had for his story, but if she ever loses a leg in a tragic mis-hap while making a Vita-Mix smoothie, I'll give you all an update.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
What sucks about handicapped parking, is that the people who park in it, park diagonally so their tire goes over the line and into a normal spot right next to it. also...
I try to avoid driving behind people with Veteran plates or Handicap plates (especially on mini-vans/vans) because they rarely ever drive the speed limit, and I'm usually driving at least 5-10MPH over it.....to avoid Zombies

Rudi

Stunt Coordinator
I think all handicapped parking spots should be the furthest away from the building. That way when those evil parking parkers used them they would actually be screwing themselves. And then real handicapped people would then be able to park in the closer non-handicapped space the evil doers did not use.

Can you get a handicapped parking sticker if you are blind?

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Yes. Your chauffeur can use it when and only when he's ferrying you, and you'll be less likely to be run down in a well trafficked parking lot.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

:laugh:

There were times when I thought my MIL might have been the offspring of a flesh eating zombie...well, not quite that hideous but almost.

I really hope my wife doesn't see this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks