What's new

International PAL AND OTHER-REGION DVD ANNOUNCEMENTS & REVIEWS (1 Viewer)

BIANCO2NERO

Agent
Real Name
Sergio Angelini
I ordered the Spanish releases of FREUD and Michael Anderson's THE NAKED EDGE and am pleased with both, despite limitations for both.

FREUD is non-anamorphic widescreen and although the cropping seems a little tight at 1.85:1 during the titles, it otherwise offers a very decent image, not pristine perhaps, but with excellent contrast and a print fairly free from scratches. This is an official release from Universal or a great and unjustly neglected movie with a sensation score by jerry Goldsmith of course. The running time is just over 134 minutes which seems correct given the 4% speedup from the original theatrical running time of 140 minutes.

NAKED EDGE, Gary Cooper's last movie, has a flamboyant visual style that makes it seems like a more restrained and more expensive version of the black and white thrillers then being made by Hammer and Mario Bava. The print is very good indeed but the DVD presentation is a little furstrating because although anamorphic it appears that the wrong flag was set so it defaults to anamorphic 2.35 when the film's aspect ratio as presented is actually closer 1.69:1 (and even says so on the back of the DVD sleeve) - if you reset the screen and zoom in it looks great but you obvipously lose the advantage of the anamorphic encoding. Both are Region 2 PAL of course and offer versions either in English or Spanish, with or without subtitles.

There are no extras on either disc.

speedspin

Agent
Real Name
Dafydd Jones
Thank you posting information about these two releases Sergio. Interesting.
In view of the flag issues on The Naked Edge, it might be worth pointing out that this is also due out in the U.K next week. To begin with, as an HMV exclusive and then as a general release in November. For anyone thinking of going for the Spanish disc, it might be worth bearing this in mind, just in case the U.K. disc turns out to the better.

BIANCO2NERO

Agent
Real Name
Sergio Angelini
Thanks for the info about the UK release Dafydd - if I'd known I just might have held back a little longer on that purchase - hope some reviews appear soon!

jcb07

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
j. c. bartolomei
From Fox/Impulso in August:

The Model and the Marriage Broker
Red Sky at Montana
The Visit
Beneath the 12-Mile Reef
The White Buffalo

jcb07

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
j. c. bartolomei
I think the title Red Sky at Montana is wrong. I suspect they mean Red Skies of Montana, which is a 1952 film from Fox with Richard Widmark.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Five Miles To Midnight has been released on DVD in Germany by Carol Media as Die Dritte Dimension. I bought my copy through Amazon Germany. The picture quality is quite good and you have a choice of English or German soundtracks. The sub-titles are not burnt in.

Five Miles To Midnight is not as bad as its reputation suggests. Yes, the story is implausible but I found the movie interesting. Anthony Perkins is really good as the loathsome jerk married to Sophia Loren.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Today I received the Spanish DVD of House Of Cards with George Peppard, Inger Stevens and Orson Welles. The Spanish title is Castillo De Naipes and it's part of their Universal Cinema Classics series.

The picture quality is excellent with great clarity and very good colors. If you're a fan of this movie, I recommend this DVD.

benbrigade

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
john knight
I recently purchased the UK based Elstree Hill version of 7th CAVALARY it is absolutey horrendous!
Viewing it is rather like sitting in a seedy London fleapit (circa 1963) watching a clapped out print
that has done the rounds in every bug-hutch in the country!

Its a shame because as far as I know the film has not appeared on DVD anywhere on the Planet.

Also it is available to lease to decent labels from the Hollywood Classics roster.

With the USA and the UK in particular being a dead loss for classic re-issues these days
I have recently purchased some of these German titles from Koch and Hollywood Klassiker.
The two Audie Murphy Westerns "Ride A Crooked Trail" and "Hell Bent For Leather" are
stunning scope transfers;Ive never seen better! Also great are "Chief Crazy Horse"
"Pillars Of The Sky" and "Tomahawk"

kenNew

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not sure that Elstree Hill produces bootlegs but they are, I believe, public domain.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Originally Posted by benbrigade
I recently purchased the UK based Elstree Hill version of 7th CAVALARY it is absolutey horrendous!
Viewing it is rather like sitting in a seedy London fleapit (circa 1963) watching a clapped out print
that has done the rounds in every bug-hutch in the country!

Its a shame because as far as I know the film has not appeared on DVD anywhere on the Planet.

Also it is available to lease to decent labels from the Hollywood Classics roster.

With the USA and the UK in particular being a dead loss for classic re-issues these days . . .
Sorry you got your fingers burned. Never buy anything from Elstree Hill. Their products are consistently abysmal: the world's worst!

The U. K is not a dead loss for classic re-issues. In the past year or so Eureka have started releasing old movies, mainly from Universal/Univeral-International. and the quality is excellent. In addition there is still Optimum who have issued numerous DVDs of varying quality.

benbrigade

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
john knight
I find that the UK is far far behind what is being issued in Spain.

The problem with Optimum is that they constantly release films that have already appeared as
Region 1 issues from the USA;furthermore with Optimums high prices the Region 1 releases
are a far far better deal even with postage thrown in!

Is the forthcoming "While The City Sleeps" a Eureka release?
I understand it has been delayed with remastering problems.
I do hope that when it appears it is a Superscope transfer.

I also understand that Odeon are stepping up their roster of classic releases with some
Universal Westerns in the pipeline.Odeon I have always found to be a good quality and
reasonably priced outfit.

However the WORLD CUP CHAMPIONS remain the best source for classic movie
fanatics;and I must say that the forthcoming release of "The Rawhide Years" looks
mighty impressive going by the screencaps on the MundoDVD website!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
While The City Sleeps comes from a company called Exposure. I know nothing about them. Does anyone?

It is true that Optimum often release DVDs already available in USA but they also provide DVDs not available in Region 1. The Western Backlash is a good example.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
I spoke to the Exposure guys last month regarding the OAR of While the City Sleeps and here's their response:

Regarding the aspect ratio, the film will be presented in 1.37:1. Although widely advertised as being an 'RKO-Scope' picture (which equates to about 2:1), the film was in fact shot in the academy ratio (1.33) and post-converted to 'scope in cinemas at the time, effectively cropping the 1.33 picture to widescreen. This means thatour decision to release the 1.37 print is closest to the director's original intention.

benbrigade

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
john knight
Anyone bemoaning the lack of classic films released in the UK would to well to check out the
Hollywood Classics website a UK based company that has the Worldwide rights (excluding the USA)
to loads of classic films and a truckload of Universal stuff in particular.

This is where the likes of Optimum and Bounty lease their films.

There are lots of films that have yet to be released on DVD anywhere on the planet.

Two films I am really interested in are:

THE FIEND THAT WALKED THE WEST (Gordon Douglas 1958)

THE SWORD IN THE DESERT (George Sherman 1949)

The latter title is of particular interest because it has never been shown commercially in England.
The government at the time objected to the way British Armed Servicemen were portrayed.
The film did surface in a "banned" season at the NFT about 20 years ago. Oddly enough
according to the NFT programme notes a left-wing cinema in Londons West End did attempt
to screen the film and riots took place! I also find it hard to believe that London had a left-wing
cinema in 1949!
In todays more enlightened times it is hard to see what all the fuss was about;and having
said that the film is a decent political thriller starring Dana Andrews and new Universal contract
players Jeff Chandler and Stephen McNally.

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
Some upcoming UK releases from Odeon include:

Rachel and the Stranger
Berlin Express
Fallen Sparrow
Three Cases of Murder
The Saint's Double Trouble
Sealed Cargo
The Master Race
The Mad Miss Manton
The Falcon's Brother
The Falcon Takes Over

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Thank you, Livius.

Has anyone ever bought an Odeon DVD? Can anyone comment on their quality? In other words, is/are Odeon another Elstree Hill or another Eureka?

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
Got their Scarlet Street DVD. As one can see here it's probably the best DVD available worldwide: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare2/scralettstreet.htm

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Quality is variable; Scarlet Street isn't typical. They aren't the worst purveyors out there, and it has to be said that they have improved over the years (they aren't either Elstree Hill or Eureka). I'd still be slightly wary.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks