What's new
World Wide Stereo

Option B... PB2-Ultra (1 Viewer)

KeithY

Stunt Coordinator
Did I miss something? what dvd are you using?

If I could only be happy with -15, I tend to listen
around -8. My ultra is about 5db hot, have had it as high
as 10db...but that was for music, the Beastie Boys and the like.

728x90

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
I'm cornfused too Steve

Tried to go over the thread and figure out what one,,,, and still not sure which movie/scene your speaking/measureing????? :confused:

Matrix~Machine City???

East/Geoff ¥

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Did I miss something? what dvd are you using?
__________________________________________________ ____

In answer to Terences request, the Disk MATRIX REVOLUTIONS was up to bat. (The Machine City SPEAKS!) were the three scenes. The reason I stated (moderate -15) is because I to like it at around -8 or so. I started to post my regular listening level on REVOLUTIONS but decided to backtrack on account of it being only my preference and really doesn't pertain.

You see Geoff! Like I mentioned earlier, it's generally what is not said that causes the confusion;)

terence

Supporting Actor

Ok Steve take off the kid gloves and get dirty, i know how you use to run the tripple threat full tilt! So stop playing around... you have dual Ultra drivers now. Let's GO! :D With in reason of course.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Ok Steve take off the kid gloves and get dirty, i know how you use to run the triple threat full tilt! So stop playing around... you have dual Ultra drivers now. Let's GO!:D With in reason of course.
__________________________________________________ _____

WAF would not permit:D I have been up to 124db uncorrected on the first flyby with my past triple threat 25+s in SW II though.:) Seems like I had to polish one of my drivers like Scott did?:D

Maybe Master and Commander at -10 would be more suitable? Say the cannon shot with the cannon thrusting back from the force of the blast? Now that is a awesome scene.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Ok as requested, I did take the gloves off on this one.:eek:
__________________________________________________ _____

Master and Commander at -5 11:04 time stamp. 25Hz Tune 109db and 20Hz Tune 108db. I started out at -10 but then decided to inch up the master volume to -5 and see if the PB12-Ultra/2 performance would coincide. Sure enough! The PB12-Ultra/2 climbed 5dbs and didn't falter. Conservatively it has plenty more to give. That is one heavy-duty scene to be viewing at -5. I tried this with the PC-Ultra at -0 and had no problem, but I never did check if it had any gas left in the tank?

I'm going to post a link to my last setup so you guys will have a good idea in regards to placement. Wish that entrance wasn't there along with the three other openings but I'm still sitting real good with the right horse-power the PB12-Ultra/12 provides.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=204166

terence

Supporting Actor

NOW that's what i'm talking about! That's the Steve i know, you feel great now don't you?!! :D

That sence is a kick ass one indeed, and your sub passed with flying colors. The PB12-Ultra/2 is something special.

Steve i made a short cut for your link.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Steve i made a short cut for your link.
__________________________________________________ ___

Thank you Terence, I appreciate that.

What the pic doesn't show is the other opening to the left of the entrance and the entrance on the other end of the room. Given the leaky nature of this room (could be worse) and size, I'm more than satisfied with the performance of the PB12-Ultra/2. With correction added to my past spl reading and considering I very-very seldom go to -5 land. The PB12-Ultra/2 is just the ticket. I will push it to -0 though and see if it will move up another 5dbs with the same +2db sub calibration along with retaining it's sound quality.

In summery, after giving it more of a push yesterday. My respect for this sub continues to grow. I wonder if Scott, Matt and Keith are experiencing the same??

Thanks again for your kind gesture Terence.

KeithY

Stunt Coordinator
When I 1st received the ultra I was like everyone else,
calibrated hot....around 8db. As I got more used to the
sound and feel I started bringing down a db or two. At 5db
hot now.

My wife's been gone this weekend so I've been watching some movies.

When shes not here I turn up the volume till it feels
about right, for most movies it ends up being around -8
to -5. Any higher and the rest of my speakers start to
sound like ****, but not for long....just waiting on the
center to get here so I can hook up my M&Ks.

I go back & forth between one port plugged or all open,
for the last week it's been one port blocked. I'm likin'
the feel, rented End of Days last night. For a 2.1
soundtrack this film has tons of LFE, at -5 the 1st
chapter was rattling things more than normal. My guess
it's in the very low 20Hz.

Another good one watched was Godsmack Changes DTS DVD,
loads of low stuff here. Voodoo was great and the drum
duel solo was awesome. The more I listen/feel this sub the
more I want to find material to push it. I've been
searching out Telarc brand CDs lately, these have some
wicked bass....gotta love the warnings

"Digital sound effects at high levels with infrasonic
frequencies to 5Hz. Please establish safe playback levels
before playing tracks 6,11,15,16,21 & 24. Excessive
playback levels could result in damaged equipment."

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
but not for long....just waiting on the
center to get here so I can hook up my M&Ks.

Congrats on your new M&Ks Keith. Reference speakers along with a reference sub, does the body good.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I've had mine for a few days now. Finally fully calibrated it yesterday. Have listened to a few CDs and watched the Empire Strikes Back.

I'll leave the professional review for Ed J M :), but I will say that it was easier integrating it with my mains than the last sub I had. (The last one had an always-present 150 Hz low pass that I think did strange things phase-wise far below 150 Hz.)

I would say the bass is substantial and effortless. Delicate and gentle when it needs to be, but also thunderous and bombastic when it needs to be. At least at the volumes I've listened to so far, it doesn't seem like it's straining at all. Not even close. I haven't tried using the PEQ yet, that's for next weekend. :)

I will say that it is BIG. Even though I tried piling up boxes and CD and DVD cases ahead of time to judge how big it was, it was still bigger once I got it situated. But still not so bad because I have the fronts of the front speakers 2.5 ft out from the front wall anyway. The fronts of the sub and my left speaker are almost even.

I have been wanting to re-watch Das Boot for a while now. I'm a little more motivated now. :)

Scott Goldsmith

Stunt Coordinator

I feel the same way, every time I listen to this thing I get happier and happier, it definitely gets all the respect it deserves and them some. Movies are definitely a lot of fun to watch... and feel :D My room is pretty large and this sub fills it with ease, and it's not even past 1/4 gain on the sub. I can't wait to get my FR's graphed and the PEQ dialed in, just to see how it behaves then :)

Matt G.

Agent

I've got mine at around 50% gain now that I have the PEQ set. My PB2+ stayed around 25% gain. I say turn it up 'till it feels good...the Ultra won't mind a bit.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I've had mine for a few days now. Finally fully calibrated it yesterday. Have listened to a few CDs and watched the Empire Strikes Back.

I have herd that the new mix (SW ESB) is pretty reived up in the LFE category kevin. Would this be your take on it?

>>>Movies are definitely a lot of fun to watch... and feel

KeithY

Stunt Coordinator

THX bubble on these discs is awesome, even more low end than the T2 DTS THX bubble....now try this at -5

Matt G.

Agent

Interested parties who want to donate in getting Matt's HT built in his basement faster are welcome to send donations!
:emoji_thumbsup: :D

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I was surprised at how much bass was added to at least the first two Star Wars movies (IV & V). But it is done very nicely, integrates well, and adds to the movies. Really hard to believe that these two movies are 24 and 27 years old respectively with the remastering that was done for sound quality. They really did a nice job.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
THX bubble on these discs is awesome, even more low end than the T2 DTS THX bubble....now try this at -5

Sure> You let me close that entrance off and move the the love-seat first. I'll then recalibrate and most likely gain another 5db headroom. Seriously though> I'll save that for my next and final sub:p)

>>>Interested parties who want to donate in getting Matt's HT built in his basement faster are welcome to send donations!

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Steve- Let me (us) know how Van Helsing is. I really liked Underworld, but Van Helsing didn't get great reviews...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks