What's new

Option B... PB2-Ultra (1 Viewer)

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Cool, I would appreciate the help on this one! I will have to try both settings as well, I don't know what the Ultra is capable of at the 25hz setting or the 20hz setting during the same movie. If it's only a couple db's loss in the upper end and a gain in the low end, I can live with that:):

It's hard to think of any other setting when I was running 3 20-39's at once, you kind of become used to that low end rumble:D
__________________________________________________ ____

I can understand you getting very used to the extra low-end rummble with three 20-39+'s Scott. Cant figure out why I haven't noticed your name in the past with the both of us running three + cylinders??

I have been running in the 20Hz tune for a few days now with the PB12-Ultra/2 and have found it very enjoyable. I don't feel as though I'm missing out at all. Maybe ever so slightly in the quality of bass with the top port plugged?? That very-well could be overcome with more energy put into dialing it in with the 20Hz tune. Maybe part of my problem with a 20Hz sub is the 25Hz tune is not available. Tell me I cant!, and sure enough I'll want to:) The numbers I will post come as no surprise but will give you a very good idea of the difference the 20Hz tune presents in the lower SS material versus the 25Hz tune. As for scene readings on different movies-I'll post at another time when they are finalized.

25Hz Tune 20Hz Tune
16Hz--00 60
17------00 65 Correction value needs to be added.
18------62 75 For this purpose I chose to be lazy:)
19------64 72
20------67 72
21------70 73
22------70 73
23------73 75
24------77 80
25------77 80
26------82 82
27------85 84 > From here the 25 Hz tune presents +1 to +2db advantage.
__________________________________________________ _____
I'll hope this posts 90% of the way I have it formatted. I can see it's already off.

I found a little difference also keith in regards to which port is plugged/SPL. MM??

Scott Goldsmith

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the good work Steve, helps me a lot. I will be calibrating tonight and will get to watch my first movie with the new sub, so it should be exciting :D I can't wait to feel this bad boy move!!

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I will be calibrating tonight and will get to watch my first movie with the new sub, so it should be exciting I can't wait to feel this bad boy move!!

Great! Let us know what you think if you get time. I had a chance to watch Matrix Reloaded in it's entirety yesterday and was more than impressed. I knew the PB12-Ultra/2 was a keeper from the beginning. As time marches forward it does nothing but bolster the decision to go with it.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Steve, dont stop there...put in Revolutions next. Got to watch the Machine City parts!
__________________________________________________ ___

Sure Matt. The Matrix series has and continues to be one of my favorites. I have viewed them all many times it different tunes and the 16Hz tune on these is a real doozy. Here is a little tidbit of what I came up with in SW II.>>>>

----------25Hz Tune-----------------20Hz Tune------

Flyby------98/99db----------------------98/99db-----
Landing----92/94db----------------------92/93db-----
Explosion--103db------------------------102db-------
Sea wave---95db-------------------------95db--------
__________________________________________________ __

LOTR-Ring Drop 81db------------------81db.----------

Now that was a surprise. I figured the 25Hz tune would have had more spl. I must have read this scene no fewer than a dozen times in each tune to verify. I guess all past experience with the QSC amp and 25-31CS+'s doesn't equate out to what the PB12-Ultra/2 dishes out with the EQ'd onboard BASH amp. I can think of scenes where the 20Hz tune will clearly come out way ahead.

I bet MingL has most likely plotted this scene in a manner that is much more detailed though.:b

terence

Supporting Actor

You are right Steve, and one of my favorite plots by Ming.

Matrix Revolutions : The Machine City SPEAKS!

The Matrix Revolutions chapter when Neo vist Machine City is my favirote demo on my twin 20-39PC+! In my room with all ports open, they will hit 16hz easy and with this cahpter WOW! I think they might go even lower.

Scott Goldsmith

Stunt Coordinator
Well I did get a chance to setup the levels for each channel, still no PEQ setting done. I watched the into to LOTR-Fellowship... WOW, just pure hard hitting bass, solid in every way, I turned down the volume a couple times in fear that they and I might get hurt (they are calibrated only 6-8db's hot), and they NEVER showed a sign of strain, I was just scared :D

I then popped in Blade 2, listened to the club scene (I just like the techno music) and man it sounded GREAT!!! I love that scene :D

Then I popped in Matrix revolutions, listened to the machine talk, holy cow, this sub just never stops shining :D I love how it sounded, better than the theatres for sure!

Every SINGLE movie/game, etc I watch the sub moves my entire house, I can FEEL everything, it hits hard as hell, digs DEEP, and plays VERY loud, yet integrates flawlessly with my system, I LOVE THIS THING!!!!

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Hi Scott:

Just Curious
Why so hot on the sub, (6 to 8db)?

At low to very low listening volumes I would/could understand due to how our ears hear the deeper/deep low Hz's.

But if listening, say at med/loud -15 to possibly even very loud -5 to Ref volumes, wowzer thats almost stupid hot, IMO..:b

Possibly, your just enjoying the nice power and headroom of this sub along with just playing around right now, (boys and their toys), looking to see if it strains at all on certain material, etc???

Steve:
Interesting numbers you found with the 2 different tunes. Obviously not what you expected....;)
I'm sure you will find more intersting things as you continue your comparisions of different tuning with-in specific scenes. This, combined with your many past SVS subs listening impressions & measureing of numbers that leave you scratching your head to some extent.

~{Most likely a "good thing" tho}~! :)

Love numbers/information/reviews, keep up the bass #'s work buddy, very interesting & informative for many here I'm sure..

Regards
Geoff ¥

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
>>>But if listening, say at med/loud -15 to possibly even very loud -5 to Ref volumes, wowzer thats almost stupid hot, IMO..

Scott Goldsmith

Stunt Coordinator
I like bass what can I say :) I don't think 6db's hot is too bad, VE recommends 5db's over if you like bass. I haven't gotten it up that high (volume) yet so it's no where near the limits or maxing out.

Steve - it's loud to say the least, you can CLEARLY hear the vocals outside when listening to music when it's turned up a bit :D Once I do some readings/plotting the FR's I may turn the sub down a little.... nah :p)

terence

Supporting Actor

This scene always blows my guest minds everytime i play it. They wil say "It did not sound , FEEL like this @ the theater". When the source speaks it's like you would imagine and hope it would be! Oh and should be. :D

I think you will be most impressed Steve, NO doubt!

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
it's loud to say the least, you can CLEARLY hear the vocals outside when listening to music when it's turned up a bit Once I do some readings/plotting the FR's I may turn the sub down a little.... na :p)
__________________________________________________ _____

You bet Scott! Might as well share your new toy with the neighbors. If it's good at -20 and better at -15, then -5 has to be the most polite behavior a new neighbor could ask for.:D Every now and then I'll go out and open a double wooden gate that is between us and our neighbors house in a effort to cut off the sonic travel. It helps out quite a bit but it has admittedly been a few years since I have done so :)

>>>This scene always blows my guest minds everytime i play it. They wil say "It did not sound , FEEL like this @ the theater". When the source speaks it's like you would imagine and hope it would be! Oh and should be.:D

Matt G.

Agent

My 2 cents...the PB12-Ultra/2 sounds so clean at high SPL, that running it hot doesn't seem to distract from the movie; it just gives you "more". That is different than what I got from the PB2+ (it was obvious when it was too hot).

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Hi Matt

I think that running that hot, +6 to +8 but with a very clean/low distorsion/high out put sub, could very well sound fine for HT.
Steve would love to demo the Ultra STUPID hot for me when I get out that way.:D

I do think tho that after time with the new Ultra toy, many, but not all, will come down a bit on their hot setting some. Love that description tho, stupid & dingy hot on the sub. ;)

Also I understand it a personal taste thing for some, but with such power and clean output I can "certainly see" where you and Scott are coming from.
~{If it's not over powering the rest of the system}~, than as Steve likes to say,,, Then Let It Rip Man!

Cheers
Geoff ¥

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
How would you compare PC-Ultra to PB12-Ultra/2? Are they sonically different or is is just pure max spl difference? Just curious because I remember someone said that tubes have their own "tubesound" (bad).

They are both outright fantastic subs with shear performance ability. They both imo present the same sonic signature relating to the smoothness of the bass and what the driver can take. Now the PC-Ultra is available in the standard 20Hz tune while the PB12-Ultra/12 comes with it's standard 25Hz tune. Both different tunes that will effect performance along with enclosure volume and dual drivers. Not necessarily good or bad. It comes down to preference. Many variables to consider in> size, footprint, highth and tune characteristics. It could get very lengthy going into all the different aspects and I would feel more comfortable with Tom V or Ed JM addressing.

I don't think I would be able to tell the difference if I were doing a blind test with the PC-Ultra versus the PB12-Ultra/2 in the 20Hz tune though?? I would have more headroom with the PB12-Ultra/2 but the PC-Ultra in my 24 X 12 X 10' 2880^ HT was more than adequate. I could play very bass heavy scenes at reference and it not exhibit any stress. I never did do a level assessment on just where the PC-Ultra started to loose it's ability to increase in volume as the master volume was ratcheted up.

I'm not sure I agree that tubes have their own tube sound calibrated properly? Well I take that back. Who am I to suggest that one doesn't like one option over the other sonically. I will say the PB12-Ultra/2 has been the most behaved sub I have come across so far in my dealings with SVS. I can sure understand going with a ISD or dB driver based sub considering the performance to $$ issue. Nothing wrong with that and the bass outcome will be very nice indeed.

>>>I do think tho that after time with the new Ultra toy, many, but not all, will come down a bit on their hot setting some.

Scott Goldsmith

Stunt Coordinator

Steve - yeah, I haven't even gotten it up to -15 under reference yet, and it's STILL loud as hell :D I can't wait to get the PEQ all setup and done, then I will start cranking this thing and see what it can do :p) I still need to talk to my neighbors, I am sure they can hear this stuff, haha

terence

Supporting Actor

Be sure to post your findings w/ this scene, by you using different tunes should be interesting indeed.

terence

Supporting Actor

Scott,

Sounds like you have a hell-o-lot of gas left in the tank! That's got too feel good knowing you have a lot headroom when it comes to bass in your system.

Scott Goldsmith

Stunt Coordinator
Lots of gas is right :D At lower volumes this sub is VERY strong, it hits incredibly hard at lower volumes still, just crazy!!!! At higher volumes it's oh so nice!!

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Be sure to post your findings w/ this scene, by you using different tunes should be interesting indeed.

Pardon the format. Here you go Terence/guys at a very moderate -15.>>

---------25Hz Tune------20Hz-----------16Hz--------------
1:39:41---88-89----------88-------------87-88-------------
1:39:56---89-------------89-------------90-----------------
1:40:09---91-------------90-------------90----------------

Each tune was calibrated to 85db. This equates out to be a +2db sub calibration.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks