1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Oppo 105, wow

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Nelson Au, Jul 7, 2013.

1. tele1962

tele1962 Well-Known Member

Barry
    Hi Steve, what evidence do you have for the video processing being unmatched, apart from maybe DVD upscaling?

2. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    I can read the specs.

3. tele1962

Barry
    Unfortunately that does not relate to the PQ being any different to a player costing say $70, you will I promise see none and test results confirm this. :)

This quote from a reviewer/expert on another forum:

" logic and understanding of the hardware and signal processing (or lack thereof) dictates that there is no good reason for there to be a difference in quality. Therefore the onus is on the people claiming to see a superior difference between two correctly working players like the PS3 and most of the Oppos, to prove that there is one. They consistently fail to do so with any sort of scientific method and instead fall back on vague and unverifiable claims."

4. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Well-Known Member

You may have provoked me to make an effort to find if there is any methodically done testing to back the Oppo reviews that it has superior or improved video. I did find an Australian review on-line over the weekend that said the video processing on the Oppo 103 was still the best in the business. That was probably a comment based on subjective testing. I can still do the old "eye" test and connect the old Sony player to another HDMI input on my display and play the same disc in the Oppo and in the Sony one at a time. Perhaps one can see the difference. The reviewer in the Australian review commented on better color resolution.

5. tele1962

Barry
    If you could do that it would be great. Let us know how you get on. :)

6. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    Superior processing of SD upconverting, yes i agree, blu ray playback is the same, as for the Sony test, well you know i would like to know the specific model because as already noted earlier in this thread, not all blu ray players pass some simple tests, some are downright bad.

I doubt the Australian reviewer has the same credentials as the HDTV test reviewer, he has worked on blu ray encodes, is an ISF calibrator and basically knows his stuff, does the Australian guy. ?

tele1962 likes this.
  7. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill
    http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-93/blu-ray-BDP-93-Features.aspx
    Of the video features I have used that are unique to the Oppo, are 1080i/50 playback, and PAL playback (converted to NTSC). The PS3 chokes on this. I have also used the inexpensive multi-region mod that plugs in the back of the Oppo and works for blu-ray and DVD. Try that with the PS3.

8. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    I do have an Oppo, i also have a PS3, blu ray playback is the same, my Oppo is multi region and is superior at upscaling and analog audio, i repeat that blu ray playback is the same for both players, my Panasonic blu ray player does 1080i/50 and guess what, it's the same as the Oppo, quality is the exact same.

Oh and i have a large screen projection system and 60 inch plasma, it's the same on both.

The Oppo is a very nice blu ray player but you buy it for other reasons than blu ray playback quality.

Deja Vu - just remembered i already said this earlier in the thread....i have no power to delete my post.

9. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Well-Known Member

Well, during my lunch hour, I did a search and found a review on cnet that seems pretty methodical.They do give the Oppo 83 a slight edge over other blu-ray players for how it handles video material with specific video discs that play test patterns as well as actual blu-rays with known images that can put your player to the test such as jaggies and moire patterns from fine lines. They also go on to say for most people, you won't see the difference with other competing players. I don't know if these guys are ISF trained or not, but it sounded like a fair and balanced review.I'll keep looking. And I am fine that when I get the time to plug my Sony blu ray player into the display to do my test, if I can't see a difference, then I'm not going to loose sleep over it. But if I see improvements, I'll be sure to report it :). By the way, my Sony blu-ray is the BDP-S550 from 2008. I remember when I first got it how super sharp the text was during the FBI warning page and the film studio logos! And when I saw Vertigo on the new Hitchcok set several months ago, the Paramount logo was so detailed with fine lines, that was an impressive image. I should see how that compares on the Oppo 105. There's supposedly a scene in I Am Legend where there is an aerial panning shot over an aircraft carrier and most players cannot handle that shot. I don't have that on blu-ray to see. I have the DVD and I have not tried out one yet on the Oppo to see how the up converting works. http://reviews.cnet.com/blu-ray-players/oppo-bdp-83/4505-9991_7-33712796-2.html

10. tele1962

Barry
    I think we are talking Blu Ray 1080i & 1080p playback here. There is absolutely and categorically no difference.

11. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill
    There is a difference. The PS3 can't play 1080i/50. The Oppo can. I know this because I have a 1080i/50 disc and it does not play on the PS3 but does play on the Oppo.

12. tele1962

Barry
    Strange that, because I am sure Planet Earth is in this format and played flawlessly on mine.

Edit:
    I have I think already said that full hd 1080p Blu Ray you will seen no difference, as for other resolutions maybe.

13. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill
    50Hz is the UK standard.

14. tele1962

Barry
    That is why it played flawlessly on mine.

15. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill
    I'm talking about US players.

16. tele1962

Barry
    Putting the nit picking to one side do you see any difference in 1080p Blu Ray PQ?

17. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill
    Try reading my posts again. Meanwhile, you are going on my ignore list, so I won't have to read anything more from you.

18. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    Most UK discs are not 1080i 50, very few discs are that, they are the exception and not the rule, the majority of discs are played back at the exact same 1080p 23.976hz as the USA and the rest of the world.

19. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    The relevant part of that article is below, it's what i have been trying to say all along, note how they say it performs identical to other players, they call it the best because it passes tests which are also irrelevent to 1080p 23.976hz playback and since 99% of films are on blu ray as 1080p 23.976hz the player image will be the same as seen on a PS3, i bolded the relevant part.

20. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill
    My point, which I continue to make, is that my Oppo plays 1080i/50 discs that my PS3 can not. The Oppo also plays PAL and converts to NTSC, which the PS3 can not. In the United States, that makes the Oppo a better player than the PS3.