What's new

Oppo 105, wow (1 Viewer)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Steve Tannehill said:
My point, which I continue to make, is that my Oppo plays 1080i/50 discs that my PS3 can not. The Oppo also plays PAL and converts to NTSC, which the PS3 can not. In the United States, that makes the Oppo a better player than the PS3.
Yes i get your point, i feel my Oppo is a better all round player than the PS3, my statement referred to 1080p 23.976hz discs, that is the majority of films on blu ray and image quality, the statement being that there is no difference in image quality between a PS3 and an Oppo or indeed a Panasonic when viewing the majority of films on the blu ray format.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I'm sorry starting this thread has led to some disagreements. I honestly thought the Oppo's had a slight edge in video performance. But it wasn't the real reason I bought the 105, it was a nice bonus.

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
Steve Tannehill said:
Try reading my posts again.Meanwhile, you are going on my ignore list, so I won't have to read anything more from you.
Seems like a strange reaction to a simple question, I can not understand why you would want to ignore my posts. Have I offended you in some way, because looking back I can not see where?
Or is it the fact that what I am saying might be right but you don't want to hear it?

PS
I have looked back through all of your posts and no where have you answered my question?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
tele1962 said:
Hi Steve, what evidence do you have for the video processing being unmatched, apart from maybe DVD upscaling?
Steve did give you an answer, same one...more or less...I'll give you.

Read the specs(in other words...features) of the Oppo. Not heard of Marvell?

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
schan1269 said:
Steve did give you an answer, same one...more or less...I'll give you.Read the specs(in other words...features) of the Oppo. Not heard of Marvell?
Sure have, now show me where it makes a difference to Blu Ray PQ on an OPPO compared to say a Panasonic. Scientific fact can not be argued with. Also I am very aware of Marvell............again though where does it say in the OPPO specs that this players Blu Ray picture quality will be better than any other............also can you point me to some reviews which do the same?

I will repeat this quote and believe me they don't come from a higher source:

" logic and understanding of the hardware and signal processing (or lack thereof) dictates that there is no good reason for there to be a difference in quality. Therefore the onus is on the people claiming to see a superior difference between two correctly working players like the PS3 and most of the Oppos, to prove that there is one. They consistently fail to do so with any sort of scientific method and instead fall back on vague and unverifiable claims. "

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
schan1269 said:
Read the specs(in other words...features) of the Oppo. Not heard of Marvell?
Yes, great for upscaling, doesn't make the blu ray image any better than a Panasonic or a PS3.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Nelson Au said:
I'm sorry starting this thread has led to some disagreements. I honestly thought the Oppo's had a slight edge in video performance. But it wasn't the real reason I bought the 105, it was a nice bonus.
You can start a thread about the sun setting in the west and there will be some disagreement about it.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Robert Crawford said:
You can start a thread about the sun setting in the west and there will be some disagreement about it.
South West in the winter but i won't split hairs over that. :D

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
Robert Crawford said:
In all fairness the OP wanted to know if there was any difference in PQ as he thought he observed there was. Some on here without any evidence went on to mislead him and say there was, but gave no evidence other than opinion. Naturaly people with the facts are going to question as to how they formed their subjective opinion and back it up..........thus far no one has done that. So not really an argument more of a question and answer session that for some unknown reason seems to have offended some on here. :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
tele1962 said:
In all fairness the OP wanted to know if there was any difference in PQ as he thought he observed there was. Some on here without any evidence went on to mislead him and say there was, but gave no evidence other than opinion. Naturaly people with the facts are going to question as to how they formed their subjective opinion and back it up..........thus far no one has done that. So not really an argument more of a question and answer session that for some unknown reason seems to have offended some on here. :)
Maybe not, but I'm pretty sure the OP is still seeing a superior image in his mind. If that bothers some with their actual facts then that's their problem as the OP is happy camper. :D

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
Robert Crawford said:
Maybe not, but I'm pretty sure the OP is still seeing a superior image in his mind. If that bothers some with their actual facts then that's their problem as the OP is happy camper.
Your missing the point of the OPs post, he wanted to know if he was seeing a difference. We said he wasn't. It wasn't about being happy or what ever he asked a straight forward question and we did our best to answer, so giving him the facts was the only way to answer, I can't see how that is a problem.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
tele1962 said:
Your missing the point of the OPs post, he wanted to know if he was seeing a difference. We said he wasn't. It wasn't about being happy or what ever he asked a straight forward question and we did our best to answer, so giving him the facts was the only way to answer, I can't see how that is a problem.
I'm not missing anything.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
tele1962 said:
So what was your previous post saying?
It's saying whether the OP is seeing things or not, he's happy with his new BD player and it doesn't matter what others think he should be seeing.

Hal F

Stunt Coordinator
FoxyMulder said:
That's absolutely 100% impossible, you either had the PS3 settings differently to the Oppo or it's the placebo effect, if you don't believe me then read the thread i linked to and believe the expert over there who has reviewed both models, i also have a PS3 and an Oppo 83, no difference whatsoever, i bought the Oppo for it's multiregion capabilities and analog audio.
Exactly right. I also bought the oppo for the same reason you did. Thanks for posting the link earlier.

Hal F

Stunt Coordinator
Robert Crawford said:
It's saying whether the OP is seeing things or not, he's happy with his new BD player and it doesn't matter what others think he should be seeing.
I think it should matter to those considering purchasing a blu ray player. Glad to see that others have pointed out the facts in this particular case. :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Hal F said:
I think it should matter to those considering purchasing a blu ray player. Glad to see that others have pointed out the facts in this particular case. :)
I'm all for stated facts, but once you get that new BD player in your HT rack, its your eyes and ears that take over from there.

By the way, a friend of mine recently bought the Oppo 103 on my recommendation. He swears he sees differences in the BD performance like Nelson. I chose not to give him the facts because he was very happy with his purchase and that's what matters most to the non-enthusiast person.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
My Oppo proved itself once again, streaming 25FPS video from my Mac in full DTS-HD Master Audio. It played back PAL without a glitch. The PS3 can't do this. I had removed the region encoding, although I have the multiregion mod for the Oppo should I want to play the actual blu-ray.

Hal F

Stunt Coordinator
Robert Crawford said:
I'm all for stated facts, but once you get that new BD player in your HT rack, its your eyes and ears that take over from there.

By the way, a friend of mine recently bought the Oppo 103 on my recommendation. He swears he sees differences in the BD performance like Nelson. I chose not to give him the facts because he was very happy with his purchase and that's what matters most to the non-enthusiast person.
I would do the same if he were my friend. But your friend isn't coming on a public forum claiming to see a difference and asking for the opinions of others like Nelson did.
Don't you think it important to point out to enthusiasts how easy it is for us to be tricked by our eyes and ears? Despite the subjectivity inherent in our perceptions, there is still an objective element that can be measured and used to judge the differences between audio and video equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks