What's new

Oppo 105, wow (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hi guys,I'm not a regular in this section of the HTF. I thought I'd make a quick post to see what others think. I know of another forum with a little too much technical focus, but I wanted to post here for impressions.I just got the new Oppo 105. I've been waiting for it as I was ready to go for a Oppo 95. Glad I waited! Previously I had a Sony BDP S550 connected to a new Rotel Pre Pro via HDMI. That is connected to a Panasonic VT30 65 plasma I bought two years ago. The new set-up has the Oppo 105 connected directly to the Panasonic via HDMI out for video from the Oppo, and the second HDMI from the Oppo goes to the Pre Pro. Also doing the analog stereo audio out from the Oppo to the Pre Pro for music via the Oppo's sabre DAC.I've only had this new Oppo set-up for a few weeks, so it's the first time I've had the ability to play all the 3D blu rays I collected. Those are fun to watch, but I was curious to see the performance of the 2D blu rays. I've only seen a few movies so far like Prometheus 3D and a few other new films in 2D. Plus the blu rays on Star Trek TOS. But what got me was watching From Russia With Love last night. I knew the blu rays of the early Bond films were very well done when remastered several years ago. But is it my imagination? Do these discs just look even more stunning then before? I can believe that the Oppo is just doing a better job then my old 2008 Sony BD player! Also, this is the first time my Pre Pro is displaying that it's recieving DTS HD audio! That's really nice too! So many firsts for me with this Oppo.I feel like the system now is running at its best to fully display a very good image! And sounding great too. Looking forward to seeing more of the early Bonds and the Hitchcock discs. I did see Dial M for Murder in 3D and while the film source wasn't perfect, it sure was a great looking image.What do you guys think?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The Oppo will provide the exact same HD video performance, the only time a blu ray player doesn't do this is when the makers enable something they shouldn't such as forced sharpening or noise reduction, some ( not many ) Samsung and LG players have had these issues and with Denon blu ray players you have to reduce contrast by one in the player to get proper WTW, let me give you another example, the PS3 delivers perfect video, this has been tested, it will give the exact same results as an Oppo.

I'm a member of another site, a UK based one, HDTV Test, they have a thread dedicated to blu ray players, an expensive ( German brand i think ) Loewe blu ray player was tested, it had undefeatable edge enhancement switched on as standard, can you believe that, what were they thinking, more expensive than an Oppo and edge enhancement as default which can't be switched off.

The Oppo will scale standard DVD's better and analog audio is also a plus if you don't have an HDMI AV Receiver.

:EDIT: I love editing my posts, shame everyone knows, come on home theater forum, let me edit for half an hour without that annoying edit bit appearing.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
"Also, this is the first time my Pre Pro is displaying that it's recieving DTS HD audio! That's really nice too! So many firsts for me with this Oppo."You must have had the Audio Output on the Sony setup in-correctly. If the receiver doesn't show DTS-MA on the display then the bluray player was setup to do the decoding."...and analog audio is also a plus if you don't have an HDMI AV Receiver."Analog audio might still be better even with an HDMI receiver. The 105 uses very expensive high quality DACS. My older 83SE was better with analog audio then any of the several receivers I had hooked up to it. Of course, I didn't get any of the room correction eq's but the 83se was still better imo. Never should have sold it.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I can believe the Oppo's video performance is the same as other players. Previously on my old display, I had the Sony output direct to the display. On my new display, I sent the HDMI to the Pre Pro then from the Pre Pro to the Panasonic. Now I'm going straight from the Oppo to the display. I never set any audio output setting on the Sony, so that explains the lack of DTS HD.I can't complain about the Oppo. It loads a lot faster! It sounds better from analog outputs. The picture it produces is very good! And it can do 3D which the Sony could not! So a delightful bonus.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Nelson Au said:
I can believe the Oppo's video performance is the same as other players. Previously on my old display, I had the Sony output direct to the display. On my new display, I sent the HDMI to the Pre Pro then from the Pre Pro to the Panasonic. Now I'm going straight from the Oppo to the display.I never set any audio output setting on the Sony, so that explains the lack of DTS HD.I can't complain about the Oppo. It loads a lot faster! It sounds better from analog outputs. The picture it produces is very good! And it can do 3D which the Sony could not! So a delightful bonus.
What are your eyes telling you? As that is the most important opinion to be consider here.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
My eyes and ears are telling me there is a difference for the better! The images from From Russia With Love last night really surprised me. That's why I wondered if my impressions are factual or imagined. The sharpness of the items on M's desk, the lamp, was a feast for the eyes for sure! The hairs on Connery's head and the pores on his face were really clear and surprising for a movie of this vintage. So I suppose it's partly a great mastered disc and a player that's resolving the image better then my older player. When I played Prometheus, I expected this level of clarity and detail. So while that was a pleasure for the eyes, the 1963 Bond film visually was as good as a modern film. I'm looking forward to seeing the other early Bonds.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
FoxyMulder said:
The Oppo will provide the exact same HD video performance, the only time a blu ray player doesn't do this is when the makers enable something they shouldn't such as forced sharpening or noise reduction, some ( not many ) Samsung and LG players have had these issues and with Denon blu ray players you have to reduce contrast by one in the player to get proper WTW, let me give you another example, the PS3 delivers perfect video, this has been tested, it will give the exact same results as an Oppo.
When I hot-swapped my Samsung BD-P1600 for a new Oppo BDP-93 the improvement in color accuracy was very obvious.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Type A said:
When I hot-swapped my Samsung BD-P1600 for a new Oppo BDP-93 the improvement in color accuracy was very obvious.
I can understand that, i think that one is known to have issues.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I bought the 95 sometime back, which replaced the PS3 I was using. I can tell you there was clearly a visible difference in picture quality, that even my wife noticed. While I cannot speak for other players, for the PS3 there definitely was a difference. If you find a difference in quality, trust your senses.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Gary Seven said:
I bought the 95 sometime back, which replaced the PS3 I was using. I can tell you there was clearly a visible difference in picture quality, that even my wife noticed. While I cannot speak for other players, for the PS3 there definitely was a difference. If you find a difference in quality, trust your senses.
Its called the placebo effect, the PS3 produces perfect video, it adds nothing and takes nothing away, just like the Oppo players, you can find out more info on the thread below where it has been tested by an ISF calibrator using equipment for the purpose.

http://forums.hdtvtest.co.uk/index.php?topic=6531.0

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Gary Seven said:
Right, Nelson be happy with your new player and the video and audio improvements you're experiencing with it.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
The PS3 had good video but the Oppo was superior. I wasn't looking for superiority, I just saw it. I trust my senses. Just as I trust my ears when it comes to vinyl.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Gary Seven said:
The PS3 had good video but the Oppo was superior. I wasn't looking for superiority, I just saw it. I trust my senses. Just as I trust my ears when it comes to vinyl.
That's absolutely 100% impossible, you either had the PS3 settings differently to the Oppo or it's the placebo effect, if you don't believe me then read the thread i linked to and believe the expert over there who has reviewed both models, i also have a PS3 and an Oppo 83, no difference whatsoever, i bought the Oppo for it's multiregion capabilities and analog audio.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Reminds me of the multitude of times a went to peoples houses who swore the PS3 was "all that" and proceeded to connect a Panny BD35 and the reactions were..."Didn't know a dedicated BD player would make this much difference..."

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
schan1269 said:
Reminds me of the multitude of times a went to peoples houses who swore the PS3 was "all that" and proceeded to connect a Panny BD35 and the reactions were..."Didn't know a dedicated BD player would make this much difference..."
If we could trust our eyes then we wouldn't need calibration discs and meters to calibrate our TV sets and projectors, i strongly disagree with the notion that an Oppo or a Panasonic produces different video to a PS3 when set up correctly.

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
There is no difference in HD video quality between Blu Ray players as long as they are not doing anything they shouldn't as Foxy has said. If you are seeing it, it is down to the placebo effect, incorrect settings or price justification and I am afraid guy's that is a scientifically provable fact, the tests don't lie but your eyes can. However build quality,DVD up scaling and audio is fantastic with the OPPO's.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Ha, ha! Price justification certainly wasn't on my mind. I spent those many extra dollars for the Sabre DAC and analog outputs from it, 3D ability and the ability to play SACD discs. If there is a visual improvement of video I am seeing, it could be either I couldn't remember how FRWL looked the last time I saw it or I think there is an improvement because its a new player. Or the player really is making a difference with video performance. As I said earlier, I can believe the video performance is the same to other players if the players are all following the same rules and sending out the exact same image data. However, I can believe also there might be some influences by components or even dare I say cables! But regardless, I honestly thought from all I had read about Oppo's, they definitely have very good audio circuits and the tests I read also comment about image quality from blu rays and unconverted DVD to be as improved over other players. Even by the smallest measure. I honestly was not buying this player for video and I wasn't looking for any massive improvement in video.For now, I am definitely enjoying the image quality and if its better, great. If not, then I'm okay believing I am! :). And another cool benefit is connecting my computer to play lossless audio files through the DAC.

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
Sorry can't edit that last post out, but my reply was. Pleased you are happy but don't believe anyone who say's there is a definite difference. ;)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I like my Oppo BDP-93 for largely the same reasons: analog outputs, 3D, SACD, DVD-Audio, streaming lossless audio. The 95 and 105 have better DACs, but the video processing is unmatched.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks