What's new

Opinions needed: KEF Q7's vs Energy C-9's (1 Viewer)

PeteZ

Grip
Diego, when I do track a pair of the C-9's down, I'm going to try to power them with several different amps if I could. It'll be interesting to try different amp output to see how much different they perform as you move up the power ladder.

Thanks!

Shiu

Second Unit
Sorry, I meant the C-9 was much more transparent than the big Definitive Technology floor standing speakers I was comparing with. As for the Q7, I thought the mids and highs were tyical KEF, very nice transient response. Without an A/B comparison with the C-9 (they were in different rooms), I really cannot say which one is better. I think the C-9 can play louder in 5.1 movies that has a lot of LFE signals, because of its bass response. I also think the C-9 can do better in music especially classical and Jazz in direct mode without a sub. Subjectively the C-9 seemed to have a fuller sound overall.

After audioning more models including some B&W, paradigm and Mirage speakers, I decided on the Veritas 2.3i. Just before I made up my mind, I did A/B the 2.3i with C-9, this time they were powered by an Arcam AVR300. I thought the 2.3i was slightly better in terms of transparency but once again the C-9 clearly won in the bass department.

It is really important that you listened to the speakers carefully, with CD music that you are familiar with, before spending our money. I am one of those who find it hard to tell the difference between amplifiers within the same price range, but I could easily tell different speakers apart.

diegoBrasil

Auditioning
Shiu,

I am surprised that you felt the Veritas 2,3i just a little better, thinkin' on the price difference :eek:

I had not any chance to listen to any veritas but a friend of mine did it and He found a 2.2i much better then C-9 at least more transparent and with a tweeter with a better extension.

I imagine less dynamic and menus bass cause the cabinet it is smaller.

Not concerning about changing cause is out of my $$$ thogh :D ; just found interesting your opinion and I fully respect it:emoji_thumbsup:

Their look is marvellous to me and must sound even better :cool:

How are you powering them?
any suggestion to power-up my c-9 in the future?
I was thinking of Rotel 1080, Nad or Parasound, but unsure best match

Diego

Shiu

Second Unit
Diego, I did find the V2.3i more transparent, but it may not be worth the extra dollars. Had it been demo'ed with some high end separates it might have pulled away a little more from the C-9. I listened to the C-9 in 3 different stores (2 high end ones), with different electronic gear. My conclusion is that the C-9 is hard to beat. I bought the Veritas mainly because I like its look, the build quality, and I am just crazy enough to pay much more for just a little gain. Not a good thing!

Your other question, when I first got the speakers I used an old Adcom GFA-555 to power the front 2.3i, and my 3805 receiver took care of the center and surrounds. After a month or so, I switched to a Bryston 4B SST, and finally back to the 3805 with no external amps at all. In each case, I could hear some difference, but I don't think I could pass a true blind test. Eventually I settle on the 3805/Adcom 555 combination. Not that it sounds better, but it does take some load off the 3805. As you already know, 100 WPC is probably a good starting point for the C-9 and the Veritas so it is good to give your receiver some help. I thought the Rotel, NAD, Parasound or Adcom power amplifiers are all "high current" and 4 ohm capable. Any of them should do a better job than most receivers.

Please be reminded that this is just my experience, yours could be entirely different. I do believe, to certain extent, this "what sound better" thing is a highly subjective matter.

diegoBrasil

Auditioning
Shiu,

what you wrote just sound like really coherent :emoji_thumbsup:

I appreciate your point of view and I agree that thing is a highly subjective matter.

Diego

diegoBrasil

Auditioning
Again,

your reply certainly was very helpful :emoji_thumbsup:

Petez,

hope you don't mind if I polluted your thread :D

Guess was helpful for you too ;)

thanks a lot guys

Diego

PeteZ

Grip
Shiu, like Diego, I thought there would be a bigger difference in performance between the Veritas and C-9. I know the tweeter on the C-9 is derived from the higher-end Veritas line, and is said to be somewhat comparable with less dispersion. I guess I just expected a speaker that is more than twice the price to sound considerably better. That says a lot about the C-9 in your comparison. By the way, what sub are you using with your system? Thanks!

PeteZ

Grip
Hey Diego...This is MY thread, so BACK OFF! :D

Actually, this is exactly the kind of info I was trying to get. You guys have been great! :emoji_thumbsup:

Shiu

Second Unit
Guys, I wish I could hear more difference but I couldn't. Last time I checked my hearing it was okay, but it is entirely possible that my hearing is just not as sensitive as others. There are people who claimed they could even hear huge difference between different amplifiers. Well, that's good for them but I do not have that ability.

Pete, I have the SVS PC ultra. I only use it for movies and multi channel music. For 2 channel music, I prefer the pure direct mode without the sub.

PeteZ

Grip
Shiu, that is an awesome system you've put together. That must sound unbelievable!

As far as you being able to discern subtle differences in speakers and amps, I don't think it's unusual. I hear clear differences between speakers, but very minute differences to none between receivers or amps. I think people make too much out of the various sounds of recivers being brighter or warmer. Most listeners will never notice this in the comfort of their own homes, with their own soundstages and acoustic conditions. Every single speaker I have ever heard in-store has sounded better at that person's house as long as there is a comparable power source to the one used to demo them at the store. You can position them perfectly, and tweak the sound to your liking.

PeteZ

Grip
Actually, I did Diego. I had the day off and made a trip to hear the Energy speakers. They still didn't have the C-9's in stock, but they did have the C-5 and C-7 to listen to. I also got to listen to a sweet pair of Veritas 2.3 in-wall speakers....amazing! They're only about 4" deep, but are tremendous performers! I brought my own cd's to listen to, and the store manager left me alone in one soundroom to demo the speakers. The Yamaha RX-V1500 was the receiver to power all speakers I listened to. First off, I can't believe the bass that these things throw! I first listened to the C-5. Very impressive for their size. Will play very loud. The clarity and accuracy is very good, and the bass is astonishing for a speaker of this size. The more you push them the better they sound.

I then listened to the C-7's. They are slightly taller than the C-5, but instead of the two 6.5" midrange/woofers used on the C-5, the C-7 has three 5.5" drivers mated with the tweeter that is identical through this line. The uppermost driver handles the midrange, while the other two drivers handle the bass frequencies. I found that the extra crossover and extra driver makes a huge difference in sound quality. The highs and mids were much smoother and detailed than they were on the C-5's. Also, they played extremely loud, and continued to sound better and better as the volume went up. I was playing them extremely loud, and there wasn't a hint of distortion. Very smooth, very detailed, and very impressive. The bass produced was nothing short of extraordinary. There was much more volume than I expected. I am definitely impressed.

I also got to listen to several DVD's in stereo mode on both the C-5 and C-7, plus the Veritas. The C-7 again had a better midrange than the C-5, and sounded nearly identical to the Veritas in that area. They are a very natural, detailed, airy sounding speaker that performed beautifully in movie performance, including dialogue. I wish they had a C-C3 center channel speaker to mate with the C-7's, but they only had the C-C1.

I give the C-7 a big thumbs-up! :emoji_thumbsup: I think I can safely say I am more than satisfied with what I heard, and that I feel confident that I would love the sound of the C-9's.

I got more great news while there. I told the manager the $650/pair price I have seen at Good Guys. He couldn't believe it, so he went to the web site to check. Sure enough, there was the price I quoted him. He has not gotten the latest price sheet from his Energy rep, so he calls him right in front of me to ask him what's up with that low price. The rep informs him that the current Connoisseur line is being replaced with a new line in a month or two, and that he will now be able to clearance price the Connoisseur series speakers. He will call me tomorrow, and says he will probably be able to BEAT the price at Good Guys! He also gave me a brochure from the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, giving some info on the new line of speakers. They will be the Reference Connoisseur or RC line. The RC's will have 1" chambered aluminum dome tweeters, and the woofers will use the Ribbed Elliptical Surround Woofers used on the .3 series of subwoofers. They claim to reduce distortion to nothing with this new technology. They are going to offer in three real wood veneer finishes: black ash, cherry, and rosenut.

I think I have breaking news here!
;)

diegoBrasil

Auditioning
That' s grate PeteZ :emoji_thumbsup: ,

You will be even more surprised when givin an 150w high current engine to them ;)

And try to get the cc-3 as a central wich will have same drivers as c-5/c-9; cc-1 can't cope with.

here is a present for you:

I am not allowed to put a link here yet

***.shows.soundstagelive.com/shows/ces2005/dly_jan07_01.shtml

Good luck whatever will be your choice

Diego

diegoBrasil

Auditioning
Hello PeteZ,

are you still around or just relaxing and listening to some music with your new pair of loudspeakers?:D

Diego

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks