What's new

Onkyo TX-SR600: First Impressions [and Comparison to the 595] (1 Viewer)

Norman:

Thanks for the offer; I don't see how they could deny the price that they gave someone else. I emailed you my fax number.

Daniel

MickP

Auditioning
I'll try calling them this evening and hope my luck is better.

What price were they trying to give you Daniel? Worst case scenario would be to order from bestpriceaudiovideo as they are selling it with free shipping right now. I called them last week and I think that they qouted a price of ~$440 for the 600 but with pre-order free shipping that's not too much more than J&R ($407 + $26 would only be about a seven dollar difference). Though pre-order implies that they are not yet shipping the SR600 too. . .not sure how long you would have to wait for them to get some in stock.

I would prefer to order from J&R though as I am ordering other things from them already.

Jim__B

Stunt Coordinator
Arsene,

I am gonna be ordering the 600 at either J&R or Best price whoever has the better price, gonna try later. I already ordered and received the NSP1 and PB12 to use with it.(they are in boxes in my spare room waiting for the 600.) I got the speakers from bestpriceaudio since their price on the PB 12 was 249+25 shipping then they price matched J&R on the NSP1 got them for 523 shipped. I really don't know how much longer I can wait but I don't want to pay to much.

BTW what ext. was your salesman at.

Just called J&R 4:30pm best they could do is 410+26 shipping

gonna call Bestprice next.

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
Parin,

Great review! I have the 595 that I also bought from CC. I'm wondering, what did you do to get the free (I assume it was free) exchange? Should I go in and complian about the audio dropouts? I don't own those particular movies, and do know that the DTS tracks don't dropout (from what I've read), but who knows what future releases will be incompatible with the 595?

One more thing... I did buy the extended warranty. So are they gonna ask that I bring my receiver in so they can fix it, or should I let them know it's a manufacturing defect corrected in the replacement 600 model? Thanks!

Mike D.

parin_patel

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,

I was able to exchange it for free. I had bought the 595 in December when all these DVD's were coming out. I was discussing this issue with my sales guy, and in the end I was just disappointed initially that all these DVD's were having problems. When Atlantis came out with the same problem I decided to return the 595 (I was still within my first 30 days exchange/return period) and then buy another receiver somewhere else. But in the end the sales guy came through and was able to work out this deal for me.

The audio dropouts problem is not a big issue anymore since dolby basically fixed the issue (no more future releases should have the problem), but basically, it won't hurt to try to get an exchange yourself. The extended warranty should help. Just tell the sales guy that the problem exists with the dvd's that you own and cannot be fixed/repaired. Good Luck!

Jim Tressler

Stunt Coordinator
Daniel and all,

I ordered the 600 today from JandR - $407 was the price and it will ship friday. I had originally ordered through a friend's "wharehouse club" for $404, but it would not arrive untill the middle of may. So, they are definatly selling it at that price.

Jim

Jim__B

Stunt Coordinator
Just did it $407+26.38 shipping From J&R. Next week can not get here fast enough.

I tild him i have been reading how 407 was the best they could do, the guy was shocked said price was $499. Then he asked if I would buy tonight for $407 I said yes. Then put me on hold and came back and said ok $407

Just bought it for $400 plus shipping, after convincing the sales guy that a (hometheaterforum.com) friend had purchased it at that price. Also ordered the JBL NSP1s (and my 25-31 PCi subwoofer, earlier today), so can't wait to get the gear. You're welcome to have a listen to the system when I get it setup, if you'd like, Jim.

Daniel

Jim__B

Stunt Coordinator
Wow i did not even notice where you were from Daniel. I will have the same set-up except for the sub. Now the hard part waiting for it to arrive. Congrats to you for getting them to give it to you for $400, i had to call 2 times to get the $407 price. Off to work now:frowning:

Jim Tressler

Stunt Coordinator
Good deal.. sounds like the price is dependent on how well your sales person works with you. I told the sales rep (Hal at x1027) that i knew he would go down to $407, he paused prepared an excuse, and I interupted him and said.. "Dont try to make up a lame excuse.." after that he was very cool. They said mine will ship today or tomorrow. Cant wait!

jim

Norman L

Second Unit
Hi, everyone, I will take the original credit for getting it down to $407 and for a unexpected surprize it arrived Wednesday with an invoice for $400. I faxes the original to Daniel who also got it for $400. Good luck everone else.

Keep trying different salesman. I got it from #1010.

SVS question: Should I get the 25-31CS since I have a spare AMP and PreAmp (Hi-End Tamberg from 1986) or the 25-31PCI?

What are the pro's or con's on the CS.

How is the Sony SAWM40 for a cheap Sub?

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
Parin,

Thanks for the response.

I was not aware Dolby fixed the issue. I guess there isn't a need for me to upgrade, although the extra power and component switching would be real nice. I guess maybe I'll stop there Sunday and talk to a sales rep and see what happens.

Thanks!

Mike D.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
Norman, I have the sony wm40 and its a great sub for $150. You won't find a better sub out there for the price.

Eric_M

Stunt Coordinator
ok i just ordered on from J and R. The dealer by me said they might not get one til May so I called J and R. The salesperson says they can't tell if one is in stock. I have to call on Monday and if it hasn't shipped til then I can cancel the order.

Greer_R

Agent
I called J&R on thursday the 11th, told they had "2 in stock" around 5 o'clock...he couldn't tell me if one was mine or not, but I did get the 407 price point as well. He said mine would ship friday or monday and I would get a call and that they are "not able to email out with tracking #'s"...did anyone else get that response?

Thanks,

Greer

p.S-this is my first post here, but thanks for all the help you guys have provided.

David X

Stunt Coordinator
The 595 (which I have) lacks any of the DPL-II settings.

Does the 600 allow you to set any of the DPL-II parameters?

I think there are maybe three settings for DPL-II. If it doesn't have it, that's ok .. usually the default settings are fine.

-David

parin_patel

Stunt Coordinator
David,

The 600 does allow you to adjust DD PLII and DTS Neo:6 parameters. You'll be able to make changes regarding Panorama, Dimension & Center Width for PLII-Music and Center Image for Neo6-Music. These adjustments cannot be made under the PLII-Movie and Neo6-Cinema modes.

Parin

Jim Tressler

Stunt Coordinator
Greer, I got the same speil from them.. I have to call today and see what the tracking number is.. It is *supposed8 to ship today. I ordered it on Wednesday afternoon. I'll let you know what they say.

jim

Niel_JL

Stunt Coordinator
I can't order mine till 2nd half of May (wife's Bday present to me). Would the 407 price still be available then or do you think they'll bump it back up to $499 ?

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
I can't order mine till 2nd half of May (wife's Bday present to me). Would the 407 price still be available then or do you think they'll bump it back up to $499 ?
Since $499 is a price that Circuit City is selling the receiver at ... and certainly more on-line retailers will be getting this receiver shortly, $407 (or lower) should easily be attainable in the 2nd half of May. I recall reading some older posts where people were able to purchase the Onkyo 595 for about $368 from companies such as J&R shortly after it was released.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks