What's new

Onkyo TX-NR609 A/V Receiver and Harman Kardon HKTS 30BQ 5.1 Home Theater Speaker System. (1 Viewer)

jayesh

Auditioning
Real Name
Jayesh Patel
hi, i am planning to buy this combination for my new sony 3D led TV: Onkyo TX-NR609 A/V Receiver and Harman Kardon HKTS 30BQ 5.1 Home Theater Speaker System. wondering if anybody has already tried this combination before. what cables do i need for this? i also have a sony blu-ray need your expert advise Thanks, Jayesh

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Both the BluRay player and receiver support audio through HDMI so you need at least two good quality (not expensive) HDMI cables. You will also need a subwoofer cable (you can also use a digital coaxial or composite video cable since all three the same spec, but not the red/white audio cables) and some better speaker wire than what will come with the speaker package (22 gauge?). We mostly use 12 or 14 gauge but 16 gauge should be fine. If you have a satllite or cable box then it depends on what connections it has, HDMI, component, optical, etc. The Audyssey automatic setup program works very well but there are usually some settings that need to be changed after running it. Speakers are the most important part of the sysstem so listen to as many as you can before deciding if you haven't already done so. Bsides the Energy Take Classic also look at Definitive Technology (a little more $$$) and Boston Acoustics from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Boston-Acoustics-CS2310B-Classic-System/dp/B001GIOSWG/ref=sr_1_1?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1322351625&sr=1-1) A steal for $199 if you have a smaller room.

jayesh

Auditioning
Real Name
Jayesh Patel
thanks Gene, that was very informative. sticking to harman kardon though. heard them at friends place and loved it. is it a good combination? Jayesh

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The 609 is probably the most popular receiver out there. It should work fine with the H/K speaker system. Just make sure the speaker sizes and crossover are set appropriately. Audyssey has a habit of setting speakers to "Large", or in Onkyo's case to "Full range" and the crossovers too low. Distances and volumes are usually spot-on. I've never really heard H/K's speakers except in a loud store environment but I bet they're pretty good. After all, they own JBL, Infinity and Revell.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks