What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

OMG! Charmed in Febuary!!! (1 Viewer)

John McM

Second Unit

yes, the episodes should be uncut. I've watched the first three discs and every episode is roughly 43-44 minutes long, which was about the standard for an hour long show in the 1998-1999 season.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
As far as I know, 44 minutes is still the standard length for hour-long TV dramas today.

JasonLa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
Thank you for the info on the running times. ~44 minutes sounds right.

Speaking of show running time today. John is right that current shows in hour time slots are about 42 minutes and 1/2 hour slots ~21 but not over 22 in my experience of recording some on my pc. I like to do that rather than spend money on VHS tapes. Any ways at these lengths that is about 1 minute of commercials to every 2 minutes of the show. isn't that just horrid. Where as mid 90s it was about 1 minute for every 3 minutes a show. back farther there is even less comercial time ratio. I'd hate to think this trend would continue to get 1 minute comercial time for every one minute of a show. You would have to write multi-part episodes just to get what you would have in a 1/2 hour or hour time slot.

Will_C

Second Unit
Real Name
Will
Back to the extras issue for a minute, I'd like to see what the guys who played Belthazor and The (original) Source looked like without all the make up.

MaraKM

Stunt Coordinator
(deleted because it was a response to the above deleted post - and a spoiler to boot, now that I think of it. Oops!)

Jaime J Nubes

Auditioning
This was posted at another message board and I want someone who knows the technical stuff to answer the question for me:

So can someone confirm to me whether the same problem exists with any other DVD boxset?

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
I have had no problem like this at all with my set. But being in a house with many dvd players... one in 4 diffrent rooms... plus 2 dvd-roms I do know that dvds do not play the same on every player. My mother's player for example shows some interferance in certain scene and in some menues on the Xena sets... where they play fine on my player. So I have a feeling his problem is how the set is playing on his laptop.

Andreas_K

Stunt Coordinator
I've almost finished watching my season 1 set. Since I hadn't seen a single episode of "Charmed" before this, I wanted to ask people who are familiar with the show: "Does it get better?"

I won't say I'm disappointed in the show just yet - but some (if not most) episodes struck me as way to predictable for my taste. While watching I sometimes knew after 10 minutes into the episode exactly what scenes would come up soon and sometimes how the story ended as well.
I may be a bit spoiled by Buffy (which is one of my favorite shows) but somehow I expected a little bit more of "Charmed".
BUT I haven't given up on the show yet so I wanted to ask you how you would rate season 1 quality-wise compared to the rest of the show (no spoilers please ;)). It's quite common for a show to find its strengths in subsequent season so the first one is often not the best of its run.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
I may not be a good one to answer this question as I loved all seasons... and I am a bit bias when it comes to Charmed :p)

But I do feel the show only got strong within the second season on. but take that as it is... from a Charmed obssessed fan :p)

John McM

Second Unit
well, at least from myself and many other people I know who are bigger Buffy fans, the first four seasons are best, especially season 3 (which was also Doherty's last year). Starting with the fifth season, it became more and more fantasy to the point that I don't think it has the appeal that it used to.

Stuntcasting such as Nick Lachey hasn't helped either, neither has one of the characters (not saying which) having two babies. One episode last season had "Cleaners" trying to erase the eldest baby from existance... I know myself and friends who would've had the baby wiped from the memory of the cast so they'd forget since the baby ruined the show anyways, lol.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I just finished the first season about a week ago. Overall, I enjoyed it, it wasn't as good as I was expecting after watching quite a few of the current season episodes (I think I'm gonna be one of those that likes the post-Doherty eps better). I've been spoiled by the sophistication of the writing on Buffy. I love the sisters dynamic but stuff like Javna was stupid, but I've seen 1 and a half episodes of S2 (She's a Man, Baby, A Man + part of another ep I didn't catch the title of), so I'm fairly confident S2 is a good improvement over the minor weaknesses of S1.

My favorite S1 ep was "That 70's Episode". Grams totally rocks, especially having seen the recent ep featuring her. It was so weird hearing Finola Hughes do a passable American accent.

When did they change Victors? :confused:

Analiese

Auditioning
David Williams:

I am the son and the heir

Can't post links yet, so Google 'How Soon is Now' and Charmed'.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
The posting of cover art over at TVShowsonDVD has got me thinking: Where in the bloody hell is the S2 announcement?

First it was supposed to be out in May, then in August, but with a lot of announcements for August already out of the way, did Charmed get pushed back for the third time? Is Paramount getting cold feet? Did S1 not sell as well as expected?

BTW, thanks Analiese. :)

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
As far as I know it is still on for August. Never heard anything diffrent... and Paramount always does seem slow with the announcements in my opinion... as for May that was never anything more then a rumor...

Quote from tvshowsondvd.com...

So to my knowledge Charmed was never pushed back. But I am so looking forward to season 2! Boxart looks great for it! :)

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
From TVShowsonDVD:

Still hoping for August, ready to see an announcement. If S1 was such a hot seller for them (as the article I quoted from says) I don't understand why they haven't gotten on the stick about getting this show out the door. Paramount has shown with Trek that they can really get the product out, so what's the holdup?

JasonLa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
I would guess in this comparison is that all the trek episodes were previously on VHS and may not have needed as much stuff that had to be done to make the DVD releases. Just a guess though.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

They were probably waiting to see how well season 1 sold before moving on season 2. With the amount of music the show uses I don't think it would be an easy task to license it all quickly. I'm sure they're also working on clearing music for season 3 and on, so those releases will likely come out faster.

Gord

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks