What's new

OLIVER! on Blu Ray (2 Viewers)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by GMpasqua /t/315918/oliver-on-blu-ray#post_3867423
Sony's catalog releases prior to 1980 seem to be selected by a disturbing group of people when looked at in total:

In Cold Blood
Dr Stranglelove or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
The Professionals
The Guns of Naverone
The Caine Mutiny
Taxi Driver
Tommy
The Deep
Midnight Express
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Bridge on the River Kawi
Easy Rider
Das Boat
Heavy Metal
And the Rau Harryhausen films (It Came From Beneath the Sea/Earth vs. the Flying Saucers/20 Million Miles to Earth/The 7th Voyage of Sinbad, Jason and the Argonauts )

Have I missed any titles not licensed out to Image and the others?

Not one Comedy
One drama (Kramer vs Kramer)

What exactly is the message SONY is trying to send America? (Also note SONY has just released their 4th quarter financial loss to date)
Well I must be disturbed, because I have most of those titles. You can also add HEAD, KING OF MARVIN GARDENS, THE LAST PICTURE SHOW, FIVE EASY PIECES, and DRIVE, HE SAID to your list. I'm not so sure it is the mind of a disturbed person but the mind of someone looking at the revenues from the DVDs.

What is interesting is that by the late 60's Columbia pictures was just about bankrupt and if it was not for new management, selling their studios on Gower Street and moving in with Warner Brothers in Burbank, they might not have survived. They did survive because of many of the films you listed above. Those titles listed from the 70's were their bread and butter and are their crown jewels. Columbia still might not have survived if it was not for the Coke purchase in 1982.

I would like to see Sony give us in Blu the following, although not all of the films were money makers.

CAT BALLOU
OWL & THE PUSSYCAT
CASTLE KEEP
FUNNY GIRL
SHIP OF FOOLS
BYE BYE BIRDIE
OLIVER!
MURDER BY DEATH
3 STOOGES MOVIES - I would love to see the Stooges in Blu-ray.

Not that I would want them but also they need to have available:

FUNNY LADY
THE WAY WE WERE
GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER

Rumored to be on their way through Twilight and Sony are:

MAJOR DUNDEE
MACKENNA'S GOLD
FROM HERE TO ETERNITY
LAWRENCE OF ARABIA

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Also, Dr. Strangelove is a comedy, though of an unusual sort.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
I do remember seeing OLIVER! streaming on Netflix, and they seem to have done a good job with it. It's not a big favorite for me, but I have streamed the overture and main titles a few times. I thought Sony had taken their content off streaming Netflix, though. Haven't seen this one there in a while, but while it was there, what I saw of it looked good.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
The last time this was screened at NFT in london was a 35mm Dolby Stereo print , they used, to screen a 35mm double head stereo copy, i saw it in 70mm at the NFT in the late 70s.

CULTMAN1

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Campbell
I have heard a rumour from a trusted source in the industry that Oliver! is earmarked for blu ray later this year. Good news....

CULTMAN1

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Campbell
SONY COLUMBIA IN THE uk i AM RELIABLY INFORMED AROUND OCTOBER.
THE BFI/NFT in the UK is showinga new digital print next month.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
SONY is sitting on a number of classic film tranferred for Blu-ray but they are not releasing them - why? I have no idea, they are just not releasing them.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by GMpasqua /t/315918/oliver-on-blu-ray#post_3897313
SONY is sitting on a number of classic film tranferred for Blu-ray but they are not releasing them - why? I have no idea, they are just not releasing them.
Wish they would decide to do something with them. What titles do you think they have given to Twilight Time? I think the announcement said there were 12 titles that were already transferred. I do hope that Oliver, Lawrence, From Here To Eternity, Funny Girl and 1776 are released by Sony, for they should give them some care with extras.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark-P said:
The only way you can get away with that remark is if you meant it as a joke and you were gay and love musicals.
"not that there's anything wrong with that!"

CULTMAN1

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Campbell
My contact at Sony Columbia UK reliably informs me we will see OLIVER!, a new RM Caine Mutiny, and Lawrence of Arabia this year........ others are under consideration

Skweeker

Agent
Real Name
Andy
GMpasqua said:
Highest-grossing films of 2010
1 Toy Story 3
2 Alice in Wonderland
3 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1  
4 Inception
5 Shrek Forever After
6 The Twilight Saga
7 Iron Man 2  
8 Tangled
9 Despicable Me  
10 How to Train Your Dragon
that's what people are paying to see at the theater - that's what people will pay to see on Blu-ray
The count:
Animation : 5
Fantasy: 4
Action//Thriller: 1
Comedy: 0
Drama: 0
Horror: 0
Teen gross out: 0 (they all went to see Twilight)
Crime: 0
War: 0
Romance: 0
Musical: 0
Mystery: 0
No no no....People who go out to the movies are not the same people who stay in their homes to watch the films......all the shut-ins, the actually factually lame, the rural people without fast internet access, etc etc etc....
IMHO it's very short sighted and foolish, to think that ONLY those who are healthy and close enough to urban theaters are the sole and primary paying audience for home film presentations - for, ever since the days of radio in the 1920s and continuing through the days of TV, cable, and home video, ALL home products from entertainment industry has primarily been - and is still today used the most by - the "shut-in", the sick, the old, the unsociable, people who hate crowds and are unable for whatever reason to be out in public.
If they've seen it at the theater or cinema, why would they want to pay again watch it at home?
The people who go out to the cinemas are not the same people who buy and collect blu-rays and dvds. To say otherwise, requires more proof than you've presented , which is merely a list of biggest box-office draws at cinemas for a year. How many of those patrons actually bought the blu-rays?
Who knows?
But that list of films, or other films like them, are the only films worth releasing to the format?
I think that, if that's the way they are doing their bluray/dvd releasing, they are leaving some money on the table, by leaving some would-be customers in the lurch.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Skweeker said:
They're going to double-dip the Caine Mutiny? WTF?
Remember he said his source was Sony UK. Twilight only have U.S./ Canada rights so an overseas release would be logical.

CULTMAN1

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Campbell
Yes it is SONY UK for the UK market. Lawrence supposedly in Septemeber and Oliver October/November. If I hear any other titles I will advise the forum.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Yes, but Sony released The Caine Mutiny on blu originally, not Twilight Time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks