What's new

OLIVER! on Blu Ray (1 Viewer)

CULTMAN1

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Campbell
Does anyone know if Columbia has any plans to release one of the all time greatest musicals on Blu Ray anytime soon?
We have had Scrooge, My Fair Lady, West Side Story recently.......
Maybe the elements are in a mess. Having spoken to the BFI in the UK recently there were no decent 70mm prints of this landmark title in a respectable condition for a showing at the National Film Theatre which leads me to think that a restoration would be required for a blu ray release?
Comments welcome......

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
IIRC Columbia restored it a few years ago and screened it at the Motion Picture Academy. There should be some good 35mm prints; it was shot in Panavision but blown up to 70mm.

CULTMAN1

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Campbell
Twilight Time look after FOX exclusive releases.... I am advised.Sony/ Columbia still own the rights to this title. I still hope this will become an eventual release.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I hope its not Twilight Time. I don't want to pay triple the going rate, even for Oliver. If Mysterious Island is priced at $39 ($35 + $4ship), what would they ask for a multi-oscar Best Picture?
And before I get skewered by the Twilight Time supporters, I am not commenting on the quality of their releases. From what I hear, they put out superb releases - I just don't like their pricing strategy (regardless of whether its necessary or not).
David

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
This movie won six Oscars and has been a home video perennial for three decades. There's no way Twilight Time is getting it. When it does come I imagine it'll be for its 45th anniversary in 2013.

But please Sony, I want some more…extras. The 1998 DVD had a featurette, a trailer, and nothing else. It also had problems with the sound mix (the Pioneer Special Edition laserdisc supposedly had better sound; I only had the Columbia TriStar LD, and I do not know the source of its soundtrack).

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Sony has had this title planned for a few years now, along with "From Here to Eternity" and "Bye Bye Birdie"

I'm guessing Sony has learned (and a lot of this is true)
1. Classics don't sell well
2. Musicals don't sell unless they're animated (Hollywood thinks they're lame - real people don't walk down the street singing their thoughts)
3. Black and White doesn't sell well (Sony has released "Dr Stranglove" and "In Cold Blood" on blu-ray and little else from prior to 1970)

[SIZE= 11px]Edited for clarification[/SIZE]

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by GMpasqua /t/315918/oliver-on-blu-ray#post_3867044
Sony has had this title planned for a few years now, along with "From Here to Eternity" and "Bye Bye Birdie"

2. Musicals don't sell unless they're animated (they're considered gay and blu-ray is for "action and sci-fiction guy" films
3. Black and White doesn't sell well (Sony has released "Dr Stranglove" and "In Cold Blood" on blu-ray and little else from prior to 1970)

You said you work in the industry, so you are more likely to have all the facts at hand than I. Nevertheless, how can classics sell when studios put no effort into many of them and big box stores refuse to carry them? B&W being a turnoff to many people I can understand, especially if they were born after all TV went to color, but that doesn't affect this film because it was in color.

No comment on the gay part.

Sony must be doing something right. They've only lost a billion dollars this year.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by CULTMAN1 /t/315918/oliver-on-blu-ray#post_3866670
Twilight Time look after FOX exclusive releases.... I am advised.Sony/ Columbia still own the rights to this title. I still hope this will become an eventual release.
Bruce - Twilight Time and Sony also made a deal for exclusive limited run Blu-ray titles from their library. However, I do not think it will go to them. I think Sony will eventually release it.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
The blu-ray consumer is younger, and a good deal are X-box/PlayStation users so the video game themed films (Action, Sci-fic, Guns, Violence) and children's fare (Animated/Pixar) are what appeal to a large potion of that market. "Driving Miss Daisy" or "Steel Magnolias" isn't coming to blu-ray

The people who want the classics - already have them on DVD and many of them haven't adopted blu-ray yet.

People under 30 in general have little desire to watch a film made before 1985 unless they grew up watching it on Home Video - and those were usually family friendly films (ET, Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Snow White, Wizard of Oz) so yes, they may buy those for sentimental reasons

By the time these people turned 20 blu-ray hit the market. They are driving the Blu-ray sales (They also do not have a DVD library built up so they build up their Blu-ray library and have no need or desire to watch or buy "Adam's Rib" or "Mr Smith goes to Washington")

People buy Disney. Why - because if they don't - it goes back in the vault and they want something for the kids to watch. they also don't want to pay $100 bucks on ebay later on.

People who buy Criterion titles and "All About Eve" "Casablanca" and "Mutiny on the Bounty" - those are the people who want the most from video and are the most demanding, but they are also just a small market. The cost /benefit isn't there for the studio's bottom line ...and really isn't that what everything is about (Yes, that and sex)

If people are satisfied watching "Iron Man 2" or "Harry Potter and the bla, bla, bla" on their ipad, why would they care what it looks like on a 52" set? They aren't planning to watch it on a 52" set.
Why put out the extra cost if people don't care - they'll buy it anyway...Hey, as long as they buy it right?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Boy Greg, You really gave the best answer to everyone that does not understand Twilight Time's business model. The day's of 100,000+ sales of library titles are over with and the boutique companies business plan will be our best hope.

The only thing that is does give me some hope is the Fox announcement of STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER as a Blu-ray. I almost would have thought it would have been a Twilight Time release.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I don't believe the days of Classic titles coming out on a hard format (Blu ray) are over. I think many great classic films will still be released. I also believe many great looking films will get the respect they deserve as did "The Ten Commandments" and "North By Northwest"

The studios are not making much money on classic titles.
I believe it's because:

1. Many people already own one or two copies of those titles on vhs or dvd (some even more and some 6 to 10 different versions)
2. Most consumers will buy a title once and most will probably only watch it once.
3. Many young people aren't interested in these titles (and let's face it many have not aged well
4. Many people are satisfed with the quality of their DVD
5. Not everyone has a 52" screen and see a difference
6. We are in a depression, people aren't going to buy luxary items, certain not if they already own a version and have watched it once in the last ten years.
7. Many Classic films need more work to transfer to DVD and the warts are going to show
8. Black and White films do not appeal to the younger generations
9. Most people under 40 never heard of Barbara Standwick, Clark Gable, Irene Dunne or James Cagney
10. Most people under 30 have never heard of Natalie Wood, Steve McQueen or Peter O'Toole
11. Most people under 20 have never heard of Barbara Stresiand, Robert Redford or Paul Newman.

Blu-ray sales of new film is tremendous, the studios know this.
1. Costs are already baked into the production of the film.
2. No restoration is needed.
3. Many people will buy these films because they aren't going to the theaters anymore to watch them.
4. A family of 4 can buy the newest blu-ray title for about 1/4t the cost of going to the multiplex.
5. It's available on-line or through a mail order service (which has replaced the Video store - is Blockbuster even still around?)
6. They can watch it on their cell phone while driving to work

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Highest-grossing films of 2010
1 Toy Story 3
2 Alice in Wonderland
3 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1
4 Inception
5 Shrek Forever After
6 The Twilight Saga
7 Iron Man 2
8 Tangled
9 Despicable Me
10 How to Train Your Dragon

that's what people are paying to see at the theater - that's what people will pay to see on Blu-ray

The count:
Animation : 5
Fantasy: 4
Action//Thriller: 1

Comedy: 0
Drama: 0
Horror: 0
Teen gross out: 0 (they all went to see Twilight)
Crime: 0
War: 0
Romance: 0
Musical: 0
Mystery: 0

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
GMpasqua said:
2. Musicals don't sell unless they're animated (they're considered gay and blu-ray is for "action and sci-fiction guy" films
3. Black and White doesn't sell well (Sony has released "Dr Stranglove" and "In Cold Blood" on blu-ray and little else from prior to 1970) 
The implication meaning gay = lame, which is how teenagers used to use the word, but people are supposed to be more enlightened now. The only way you can get away with that remark is if you meant it as a joke and you were gay and love musicals.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Mark-P said:
The implication meaning gay = lame, which is how teenagers used to use the word, but people are supposed to be more enlightened now. The only way you can get away with that remark is if you meant it as a joke and you were gay and love musicals.
Hollywood's defination (and unfortunately not a joke) I'll edit the post

Musicals are considered unrealistic to the younger generation (unlike "Pirates of the Carribean" - which IS totally realistic)

The guys who buy the action films do not buy the musicals - and Blu-ray is marketed to those guys. Honestly, Action film fans and children. That's the market.

Hollywood believes no one else buys blu-rays. Women only buy Blu-rays for their kids (Disney) not for themselves. No one over 50 blu-ray videos ever in their mind (at least not in large quantity as the 20 -30 year olds)

Same with Silent films and Black and White films: When Hollywood considers a Classic title to release the first 4 killers are: Black and White, Musical, Silent or Chick flick.

Get a group of 20 somethings together tonight and ask them:
1. Would you buy a Black & White movie? Most will say they wouldn't even watch a B&W movie - really, I did this, that's the answer I got (some were over 35)
2. How about a musical "lame, people don't sing to each other"
3. a Silent film - "you're kidding right?"

Most never had a black and white tv set or have even seen one

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I do like certain musical films - usually the the ones based on Broadway shows, otherwise I'm not a fan and could care less about of most of the MGM/Fox stuff from the 30's - 50's.

The fact "Singing in the Rain" and "Meet Me in St Louis" are coming to bluray means nothing to me. Two less blu-rays I need to buy.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by GMpasqua /t/315918/oliver-on-blu-ray#post_3867200
Hollywood's defination (and unfortunately not a joke)

Gay = lame (people do not walk down the street singing their thoughts)
These films are unrealistic to the younger generation (unlike "Pirates of the Carribean" - which IS totally realistic)

Real guys don't watch musicals - at least in Hollywood - and Blu-ray is marketed to real guys. Honestly, real guys and children. Hollywood believes no one else buys blu-rays

Same with Silent films ( uh, people talk, and not with subtitles) (although isn't that what texting is?)
People are also in color, no way will they watch a Black and White film

When Hollywood considers a Classic title to release the first 4 killers are: Black and White, Musical, Silent or Chick flick.

Get a group of 20 somethings together tonight and ask them:
1. Would you buy a Black & White movie? Most will say they wouldn't even watch a B&W movie - really, I did this, that's the answer I got (some were over 35)
2. How about a musical "Gay/lame, people don't sing to each other"
3. a Silent film - "you're kidding right?"

Most never had a black and white tv set or have even seen one
I can see why silent films are a niche. I enjoy them, and I have nothing but respect for them as it was the birth and formative years of film, but even I have huge gaps in my knowledge about them. Most of the major ones I'll be seeing for the first time when they come out on Blu-Ray.

Who is their model for a "real guy"? I guess it must be guys like my Dad, who bought me a laserdisc of Hello, Dolly! as a present from a business trip from San Francisco.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Netflix has a streaming version of OLIVER! in "HD" and it does look and sound significantly better than the current dvd version. So maybe there is a new high definition master out there.
I'd love to see it on blu ray, but given some of the comments on here, maybe the odds of this occurring are not that great. Too bad.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Sony's catalog releases prior to 1980 seem to be selected by a disturbing group of people when looked at in total:

In Cold Blood
Dr Stranglelove or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
The Professionals
The Guns of Naverone
The Caine Mutiny
Taxi Driver
Tommy
The Deep
Midnight Express
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Bridge on the River Kawi
Easy Rider
Das Boat
Heavy Metal
And the Rau Harryhausen films (It Came From Beneath the Sea/Earth vs. the Flying Saucers/20 Million Miles to Earth/The 7th Voyage of Sinbad, Jason and the Argonauts )

Have I missed any titles not licensed out to Image and the others?

Not one Comedy
One drama (Kramer vs Kramer)

What exactly is the message SONY is trying to send America? (Also note SONY has just released their 4th quarter financial loss to date)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks