What's new

Oh my goodness...I'm getting an SVS!! (1 Viewer)

Nicholas R

Stunt Coordinator

I would say blind? About 10 times with 3 models. I didn't have a chance with the +. And the vast majority ov reviewers are anything but reputable especially the web based ilk.

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor

What a load of rubbish.

If I realized the SVS was nothing more than a glorified Yamaha subwoofer I would have got rid of it within a month (cost of return shipping prohibitive)and come back on this and the US avforums boards and admit it. However I am not disappointed of their affordable, excellent performing product.

I am one of those people that freely admits when I've bought something less than steller. Some others do not.

The SVS sounds far better than the Rel.

I'm starting to think you're certain UK retailer with his own forum and lackies to spread anti-SVS/HSU/Paradigm tales to boost his sales. This person was banned from avforums for multiple accounts (each account used to spread lies about each sub makers products)

Perhaps admin could track the IP address?

If so please contact the UK forums on www.avforums.com ask for admin Stuart Wright (Spectre)

Nicholas R

Stunt Coordinator

No need to get paranoid. I happen to quite like HSU subs, they are amongst my very favourites and for what it is, that is a cheap sub, the 2200 is fine.
You really seem to have difficulty with someone not drooling all over the SVS. Get over it and accept there may be more than ONE UK guy who doesn't like them. You post is extremely odd.
And I am hardly spreading lies rather giving my opinion. And we are ALL most free to do that.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Now there's something we can agree on (although our assessments of who is reputable and who is not will differ greatly, at least in one instance, I can guarantee that).:D

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Been kinda following this thread as it seems to have gotten out of hand somewhat......

What I noticed first is the "follow the pack mentality here" comment appears to have struck a nerve and rightfully so. That comment alone was an attack on the htf member's individuality and their ability to think for themselves. To me, that was a sad way to enter a conversation and predisposed the thread to some defensive maneuvers in an offensive way.

All this cause someone is excited over getting a sub from SVS. I really thought the rule of thumb around here was "if you don't have something positive to say, keep it to yourself"...........

Brian, congrats of your first system setup; there are those of us who will help you and enjoy it with you. Go for it.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Par for the course. There have been threads like this before and there will be again. SVS still sells subs, in spite of (maybe even because of) the "I hate SVS" threads. I'd rather have a "pack mentality" supporting my product and a "pack of one" denouncing it than the other way around (i.e. Bose).

Dan Hine

Screenwriter

Tom Nousaine not reputable?

John Kotches not reputable?

Howard Ferstler not reputable?

They are anything BUT not reputable and are not of the "web based ilk." Not entirely, at least. Their reviews of the SVS subs were in print.

Punchy, boomy, tight, whatever...those can be subjective too. Is it really believable that someone would buy a product and not be happy with it but lie just to fit in? Sure...a few people. But hundreds...many of whom have been around for years and earned the respect of the HT communities? I don't buy it.

Brian, have fun with your sub.

- Dan

Nicholas R

Stunt Coordinator
TN is great at taking measurements and I really don't know ANYONE who takes Ferstler for anything but a total buffoon. He has never come close to earning respect from anyone in the know. Read his posts on RAO for a unique brand of hilarity as he gets insulted, confused and delusional.
Calling him a respected reviewer is like saying the Police Academy movies were marvelous examples of filmmaking.

Nathan Bjork

Stunt Coordinator
Aside from what everyone else is talking about, I just got my first SVS last week. And its amazing, it is the 20-39PCi tuned to 17hz.

I have only been able to watch Finding Nemo, and I never really liked that movie untill I wacthed it with my SVS. I do have a small room 10x10ft, and with it tuned to 17hz it really sounds great. So what you hear about SVS is real and its amazing.

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"Frank your macho, hand on your hips approach has totally intimidated me."

Damned right you are! So what now......are you just going to stand there and bleed? :D

Dude, I truly believe that when it comes to bass reproduction you don't really don't know what you are talking about.
Of course, it has also become quite clear that owning a recording studio hasn't done anything to teach you a damned thing about sound reproduction in general either, so how about becoming a bit more humble (yeah, right!) and learn from old farts like me as well as from young talented individuals which populate Forums such as this one for a change, uh? :rolleyes

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

Nicholas R

Stunt Coordinator
Frank you're killing me here. Thanks for the good laugh.
I haven't been called "dude" since the 70s so thanks for the memories as well. :D :D :D

MarkWC

Stunt Coordinator
Brian,

You have a good setup on the verge here. I will attempt to avoid this tangent as much as possible that has been created......even though, I will have to say Craig has some of the best knowledge on these forums, and he backs up all of his findings through testing and comparitive analysis; which of course is the most important aspect as different subs will produce different sounds depending on the room itself, location, and calibration.

I do not own an SVS (but, most likely will soon)

Said that....I believe your choices are good, however I believe that the Digms will be severely underpowered with the Onkyo. Is there any reason why you would choose an Onkyo to power Studio 100's?? Most people that purchase these speakers realizing the amounts of juice they require to open up the sound stage purchase top shelf integrated receivers or seperate amps. I would say you should look at a more powerful receiver, i.e HK 7200, Denon 3805, Elite etc.

Maybe some Paradigm Studio users can chime in. I know this is a bass thread, but I would really think about the power you are serving to these speakers, because they will only sound as good as the source of power driving them.

Hope you enjoy your new toys!!

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Mark- Thank you for your concern and addressing this issue (I'm also surprised someone hasn't addressed this yet). However, it's already been addressed in the receivers forum in the thread I posted there. I've finally been able to get prices on the Studio 100s and unfortunately I'm not going to be able to integrate them into my setup quite yet. So, I'm planning on getting Infinity's Primus 360 peakers (which I also like) instead. I'm still excited about upgrading my home theater, though! :)

I WILL OWN Paradigms one day! :emoji_thumbsup: :D

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Well, I did it. I took the plunge! I just placed my order for an SVS 25-31 PCi subwoofer (upon their recommendation due to my preference for room placement and listening habits).

Oh, and I'm changing speakers. I was demoing some units and I am heavily leaning towards the Klipsch RF-15 towers. Very nice sound (I love it) with HT and music from what was demoed (Moulin Rouge).

My system may just look like this now:

Onkyo TSXR601 Receiver (Purchased)
Klipsch RF-15 Mains
Klipsch RC-3 Center
Klipsch RS-25s for the surrounds
SVS 25-31 PCi Subwoofer (Purchased)

I'll purchase my speakers once my sub arrives from UPS. Either that or I can buy the speakers now and install them and then install my SVS when it arrives...hmmm. Decisions, decisions!

:D :emoji_thumbsup:

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Brian - that system will work very well... The Klipsch are easy to drive, and are underrated as music performers.

Buy them now... You won't want a subwoofer sitting ther idle... and enjoy !

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

The way I read it, that's the area of the opening...the port appears to constrict considerably in the middle. Tough to guage the actual Fb. Really cool.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Jack - You are quite correct. That size porting and loading of the driver will also ring down somewhat the 25 inch throw needed for that 128 dB at 16 Hz... I think about four of the Utopias co-located should do it ... what do you think ?

It should be pretty turbulence free also....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks