What's new

Oh my goodness...I'm getting an SVS!! (1 Viewer)

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"Frank you're killing me here. Thanks for the good laugh.
I haven't been called "dude" since the 70s so thanks for the memories as well."

Aha! So...you really are an old fart too, eh? :D

Btw, what Symphonic Orchestras have you recorded in the last 25 years? What miking set up do you prefer using when doing such recordings (hope isn't multi-miking!)? What's the name of the label you do recording engineering for?

Oh, nearly forgot to mention...but have you ever had the opportunity of auditioning John Crabbe's (the sorely missed famed editor of Hi-Fi News & Record Reviews and Audio magazine way back when Moby Dick was still a sardine :D ) highly celebrated 30+ foot long concrete horn-loaded subs at his castle somewheres in England? Them woofers weren't Thiel (& Small)-designed, so perhaps they would be more up your alley...

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

Nicholas R

Stunt Coordinator

Yeah older than I care to be on some days. I favour almost exclusive use of stereo miking, with "some" cheating at times. Multi miking absolutely not as I am a minimalist having started as an audiophile. I'm also a big fan of the RCA techniques from the 50s. Labels and orchestras I will not get into at this point but as you know the labels are few and far between these days. For the last year and a half I've mainly doing multichannel mixes from bands you and I both would prefer would just go away but back catelogues are big money and frankly easy money for me. Right now in my career any new recordings I do I truly have the luxury of deciding if I have an interest in for artistic reasons or if I enjoy working with the band or venue. I prefer spending time with my family to watching a lead guitarist vomit on a bandmate.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Ok, thanks to Jack I'll give a new guesstimate ;)

Looking at the diagram I'll guess the bulk of the slot port is at half the height of the opening. That would be 25dm^2 which is equivalent to a 3.5" round port. Then guess a 12" slot length and you get a 20hz tune with a 120L enclosure.

The real tune will be somewhere inbetween my two guesses(likely closer to the second guess than the first). But none the less, that's a really neat trick to make a slot port that is equivalent to a 3.5" diameter round port not make funny noises at levels even over 110dB little lone approaching 130dB.

But I do have to agree with Jack's assessment on the porting design itself, "Really cool", even though the implementation may be overrated.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Family ? That suggests mating... WOW... Nicholas, you just proved one thing... there REALLY is someone for EVERYONE...

To everyone reading... In your best "Larry the Cable Guy" voice: "I don't care where you're from, that there was funny"

Nicholas R

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah golly a lot of women like a principled, don't put up with bullshit kind of man. But you probably know that too don't you? Again Craig, baiting is I hope, far beneath you and most unattractive and uncalled for.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Feeling touchy? That was humour... and here I thought YOU were of the opinion everyone here was taking you too seriously... Will Rogers once said "Never trust a man who can't laugh at himself"

or was that Pee Wee Herman...

Nicholas R

Stunt Coordinator
Let me recover from the horror of that last thread before I can find humour in your posts again. Should be good to go tomorrow.

MikeNg

Second Unit
Nicholas,

I'd like to sample some of your work. Being a sound man (live, not studio) myself I'm always interested in talking to others that do this for a living.

Wouldn't mind hearing some of your work - preferably ones you enjoyed the most doing.

Mike

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Mike... Careful on this. You had better get some choices before giving Nicholas the go-ahead on music, or you might end up with Barney's Greatest Hits (yes, the purple dinosaur).

MikeNg

Second Unit
Are you responsible for that clean 'I Love You' mix?

My kids feel like he's right there in the room with them! I'm impressed. Got that dino dialed in perfectly! :D

Seriously, though. Whatever's fine. I prefer live stuff myself if you've done that and have something available.

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"I favour almost exclusive use of stereo miking, with "some" cheating at times."

Directional pairs (where the "cheating" might take place, perhaps? :D ), Blumlein "coincident" (figure of eight) or French ORF (I think that was the name) miking?

"Multi miking absolutely not as I am a minimalist having started as an audiophile."

That's good. Am not partial to multi-miking either.
Btw, Crown designed and manufactured a radically different mike (although it basically had an omnidirectional pick up pattern or polar response) either in the late 70s or early 80s.
Radio Shack used to carry and sell a model that was very affordable; it was also powered by two-6 volt camera batteries per mike.
I purchased and used two of those Rat Shack mikes (made by Crown) to record a few live music sessions back then with great success since they made it really easy to do by virtue of their small physical foot print, portability, and the fact that they were supposed to be placed on the floor (doing so augmented and flattened bass frequencies, or so the theory went).
I still have a recording I made of a music student from the University of Redlands that I put on analog open reel tape during the mid 80s...and the sonic results are still uncannily eerie; the young guy's cello sounds like is in front of me...still inhabiting my den (now HT room)! Anyway, it was just amateur work... :b

"I'm also a big fan of the RCA techniques from the 50s."

Yep...them recordings are still great sounding!
Telarc has done a lot of super symphonic work through the years that seems to parallel RCA's own 50s miking technique (three omnidirectional mikes widely placed, if I remember correctly) as well...

"...but as you know the labels [classic music] are few and far between these days."

Boy, do I know it! :frowning:

"For the last year and a half I've mainly doing multichannel mixes from bands you and I both would prefer would just go away but back catelogues are big money and frankly easy money for me."

Can't blame you for that, Nick...

-THTS

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Hey Nicholas -- I too, would like to sample some of your work. Just try not to send some of the Gumby soundtrack my way, okay? ;) :) :D

But, anyway -- I finally got my new Onkyo TSX-R601 receiver hooked up tonight. Man, it really blows away the Kenwood receiver from the HTB-504 I had. Even at lower volumes with the Kenwood HTB-504 speakers (haven't purchased the Klipsch's yet), the sound is noticeably clearer, more crisp, and feels more "alive" than before. Of course, these new "effects" became more pronounced after I calibrated my speakers with the new Digital Video Essentials DVD.

In LOTR: ROTK I'm hearing things I've never heard before. I can't imagine how much the sound will improve with the arrival of the Klipsch speakers and the SVS Sub. I can't wait.

Ah, the joys of new home theater equipment. :emoji_thumbsup: :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Nicholas R

Stunt Coordinator
Frank:

"Directional pairs (where the "cheating" might take place, perhaps? ), Blumlein "coincident" (figure of eight) or French ORF (I think that was the name) miking?"

Can't give away trade secrets here but it involves ambience.
"Hopefully" most people wouldn't even realize it was utilized. Only use it for the mix if the recording is particularly dry, but it is always laid down and available.

"Btw, Crown designed and manufactured a radically different mike (although it basically had an omnidirectional pick up pattern or polar response) either in the late 70s or early 80s.
Radio Shack used to carry and sell a model that was very affordable; it was also powered by two-6 volt camera batteries per mike.
I purchased and used two of those Rat Shack mikes (made by Crown) to record a few live music sessions back then with great success since they made it really easy to do by virtue of their small physical foot print, portability, and the fact that they were supposed to be placed on the floor (doing so augmented and flattened bass frequencies, or so the theory went)."

You're talking about the PZM mikes. Use them once in a while for some extra acoustic guitar high end to cut through the mix. They're quick mikes and good for that purpose.

Brian:

"Are you responsible for that clean 'I Love You' mix?"

My kids feel like he's right there in the room with them! I'm impressed. Got that dino dialed in perfectly!

"Seriously, though. Whatever's fine. I prefer live stuff myself if you've done that and have something available."

I don't need to get into copyright issues with Barney's management. The last time as NOT very pleasant. :)

Craig:

"Not when I am on Parachuting duty."

Sir Yes Sir!
:D

MikeNg

Second Unit
It was I that said it Nicholas, not Brian. In any case, I'm still interested.

Since you were talking about mic'ing, have you heard of the isomike developed by Ray Kimber (yes, of Kimber Kable)? Here's some info.. It's a departure from 'old school' to say the least.

I had the pleasure of attending CES 2004 and listening to recordings done by him using this mic'ng approach, and it was simply phenomenal. His choral recordings are as close to live as I've heard. I used to sing in the university choir back in my college days, and his recordings really captured that live, uncolored vocal presence you really only get from being at a performance. If any of you are interested, order a CDR to use as a reference/demo disc. Well worth the nominal donation to the univeristy (it's all sponsored by Weber State University).

Sorry to go off on a tangent. Back to your regularly scheduled program. :b

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"You're talking about the PZM mikes. Use them once in a while for some extra acoustic guitar high end to cut through the mix. They're quick mikes and good for that purpose."

In my case, the quite affordable Rat Shack PZM mikes (thanks for reminding me what they're called!) truly worked sonic miracles for me. :D

Cheers!

-THTS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks