What's new

*** Official 'Star Wars: Attack of the Clones' DVD Announcement/Discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
To me, this says "don't expect dts", and I don't. Not that that is necessarily a bad thing. No myths involved, just a gut feel based on past experience.
Truly, but the main objection was Lucas being branded as "a Dolby guy" as if to say he favored one over another. :)
Dan

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
I've already seen what it takes to make one of these films from beginning to end on Episode I's disc, do I really need the exact same thing but for Episode II?
That's what I was thinking. Too monotonous and redundant. The cast was nearly identical. So there wouldn't be hardly any casting parts to the documentary.

What I would like to see is a film scoring documentary with John Williams. That would be cool.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
What I would like to see is a film scoring documentary with John Williams. That would be cool.
Yeah, the DVD is missing that famous featurette; "Fu**ing with the Film Score" which details the splice & dice hack job done to the film's various music cues. :D
Dan

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
:D I was thinking the same thing. I only noticed it with the arena sequence. The reason being is I didn't hear the arena march in the film that I heard on the DVD. I wish Lucas, or who ever is doing it, would frickin' stop. However, there is one area that the droid march from TPM worked perfectly. I don't know if this was William's score, or a changed by Lucas. It's where they transition from Obi-Wan talking to Lama Su, to where he walks out on the balcony to see the clones marching in sequence. Perfect transition from one scene to the next. And the droid march from TPM is perfect in that spot with the clone army. It is a very good musical piece.
I would imagine part of the problem with the editing is the way Lucas continues to edit his films til a very late date. That still doesn't make it right. But that's a discussion for another time.

DavidAC

Stunt Coordinator
Woohoo! Nov. 12th cant wait!

Everything looks solid, I hope we get a great documentary like the "beginning" documentary but for me it's all about the deleted scenes cant wait to see these.

Keith M.

Second Unit
"The first major motion picture captured and created directly from the digital source..."

Are they serious? I thought Bug's Life and Ants were both sourced directly from the digital source...

I would agree, the picture quality in the theaters was rather poor, so my expectations of video quality are low...

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Are they serious? I thought Bug's Life and Ants were both sourced directly from the digital source...
The Anzt transfer was sadly taken from a 35mm source. Bugs Life and both Toy Story outings along with a number of other Disney releases (Tarzan...etc) have been direct digital transfers. Lucasfilm/Fox may be speaking in terms of live action, but I don't even thing that is correct since there was a french film shot on the Sony HD cams that I believe is already on DVD in europe having been transfered digitally.

Dan

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Wonder why he does that. I wish he'd stop. Okay George, on the DVD, put Williams score back like it was.

I would agree, the picture quality in the theaters was rather poor, so my expectations of video quality are low...
Keith, the DVD is not transferred from film. It's transferred straight from the digital source. Have faith. The video quality should be staggering, assuming they lay of the EE crap.

Brian Kaz

Second Unit
I don't even thing that is correct since there was a french film shot on the Sony HD cams that I believe is already on DVD in europe having been transfered digitally.
If you read the full quote at the OS, it adds "...and mastered to THXs high quality standards", or something like that.

Very clever.

Also, concerning the 3 documentaries. My guess is they will be 20-25 minutes each to match the length of "the beginning"

Brad M

Second Unit
Will those documentaries also be "filmed" with the digital camera? :D If so, it'll be interesting to see if they have any EE.
Is it November yet?

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Actually, one of the documentarys was full-length. I have no idea what that means. I'm expecting a 1 hours documentary, and 2 30 minute documentary.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Wonder why he does that. I wish he'd stop. Okay George, on the DVD, put Williams score back like it was.
I doubt it was George who did that. More likely some of his cronies at Skywalker Sound did that. I remember reading why it happened somewhere, but I can't remember at the moment.:b
Between FOTR:EE and AOTC:WS, I'm going to be hurting for cash after 11/12;)

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Well, my birthday's the 13th too, and I'm putting together a nice birthday wishlist of DVD that come out in late october or early November. So far:

Star Trek III SE
Spider-man
Babylon 5 Season 1
South Park Season 1
Fellowship of the Ring 5-disc set
Episode II

And I'm sure there will be more added as we get closer.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
And they just added Law and Order Season 1 in Oct...so that's on my list along with

Fellowship - 5 disc set
Spidey
Episode 2
Sports Night Season 1/2
Law and Order Season 1
South Park Season 1

...as well as others that I'm forgetting. Yowza.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Taun We...mastered from the digital source...
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
a said:
Wasn't 'The Beginning' billed as a full-length documentary? And that wasn't a whole hour, more like 45 minutes. Still, I wouldn't bet against your estimates... they seem to be in the right ballpark to me.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Regarding the musical cues, has anyone considered the possibility that we may see restored Williams-approved cues on the DVD? With Episode 3 scoring a couple years off it would be possible to have had him come back and rescore some sequences for the final-cut DVD release (possibly necessary even if it's a longer cut). Or maybe we'll have to wait until the "Special Editions" of the new trilogy to see this like we did with some cues in ESB. I'm sure it is that "very last-minute editing" that messes up the cues. It would be nice to restore them for DVD.
Has anyone noticed if any music cues were changed for the Episode I DVD? Afterall, they had a long time to work on theat disc.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
There's no chance the DVD will feature restored music cues. It's the last thing I would ever expect. Phantom Menace DVD didn't, and that had many offensive musical editing moments... :frowning:
Dan

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Heck I'll buy several copies (me, family members etc...) but I really don't like the cover art used. I'm anal on this I guess and think the theatrical poster art is awesome and should be used...but not a major issue I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks