What's new

*** Official 'Star Wars: Attack of the Clones' DVD Announcement/Discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Brad M

Second Unit
And as far as the documentaries, I think all three will probably be in the same vein as "beginning" just seperated into three parts.
I hope they are in the same vein.

Anyone have any idea how long these are? I hope they're not just 5 or 10 minutes.

DanR

Supporting Actor
Excellent. Early November is going to be awesome. The digital transfer is a welcome development.

Regards,
Dan

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I didn't get to see the film in theater, and I partially didn't want to.

Since it's a digital film, the DVD ought to present it exactly how it should be...with great quality.

As for EE...I don't see the massive edge enhancement that everyone seems to see from Episode 1. There's a little bit of it, but it usually blends in pretty well and only shows up in high contrast bits (like black on a bright background). Plus, any DVD will look poor if it's blown up to the size of a theater screen.

Kami

Screenwriter
Looks like a decent release, but I'm kind of puzzled why they'd try to compete with the LOTR 4 disc and 5 disc sets.
LOTR is going to have to take precedence for me personally, so AOTC is going to have to wait about a week anyway. Counting the length of the film, all the commentaries, and the 2 discs of supplements on LOTR, I have bare minimum 24 hours to spend with that set first! :D
Nov. 12 = best DVD day of the year

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Exactly...but EE on the TPM disc really starts to become evident on a 36" TV...that's hardly theater size.

Todd Phillips

Second Unit
The myth he has something against DTS is just that, myth, with no evidence whatsoever to deem it fact.
I never said he had anything against DTS. But his track record shows that he is satisfied with the performance of DD-EX, and it appears that he or his people feel that a dts track is of mimimal added value (i.e., they thought about adding it to TPM, but felt that other features were more important). That was a judgement call on their part.
To me, this says "don't expect dts", and I don't. Not that that is necessarily a bad thing. No myths involved, just a gut feel based on past experience.
I'm looking forward to this DVD particularly for the sound (rather than for the story ;) ). I hope they top the previous one. And the promise of a digital video transfer makes me look forward to the visuals, too.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Kami, once again...I don't think their is any competition. The 4/5 disc sets of LotR are more nitch sets...expecially since they cost so much more than the standard 2-discer. Most casual viewers will buy the August release.

I'm sure they'll both sell well though...

Kami

Screenwriter
Matt,

True enough, but the LOTR 4-disc should be good value. I know it can be pre-ordered now for about $29.99, and I fully expect B&M's like best buy to have it around $24.99 on street date....that is nothing to scoff at! Around the same price as a 2 discer!

JenaroM

Stunt Coordinator
Excellent! The direct-from-digital transfer is a must, and it was an issue that was being discussed even last night.

I'm also expecting that the sound level will be more in the range of the LOTR DVD (which is amazing), because I felt TPM's a bit low.

Now we can have those threads about which are going to be the deleted scenes. I vote for:
- Senate reaction to Amidala's assasination
- Dooku's background and the Lost 20 with Jocasta Nu
- Padme's family scenes
- Padme negotiates with Dooku on Geonosis
- Ki Adi Mundi and Plo Koon's mission to deactivate the droid control ship

Remember the Latino Review scans? Those were the real deal!

And, just to get on the wagon, my birthday is on Nov 18th.

Jeff Pounds

Second Unit
Looks like a decent release, but I'm kind of puzzled why they'd try to compete with the LOTR 4 disc and 5 disc sets.
It's not really a competition... it's not like a theatrical release, where they are battling for a finite amount of moviegoers over a short, fixed time frame of a weekend.
I have a feeling that LucasFilm and New Line really don't care when you buy AOTC or LOTR.... just that you do buy it... :)
Anyway... it basically the same target market... and I'm sure that they know many people will buy both.

Douglas Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Douglas Bailey

Don, I think you've been fooled by a missing line-break. The DVDFile announcement says: "DVD-ROM weblink to exclusive Star Wars content Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones Special Edition VHS includes six deleted scenes and a 'Star Wars Connections' featurette...", but I think it's pretty obvious that there should be a line-break after "content".

I think it should be "DVD-ROM weblink to exclusive Star Wars content" (as the final bullet-point on the DVD) and "Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones Special Edition VHS includes six deleted scenes and a 'Star Wars Connections' featurette..." as a new paragraph describing the videotape release.

(Edit: the missing line-break has now been restored on the DVD File page.)

doug

nousername

Supporting Actor
As for EE...I don't see the massive edge enhancement that everyone seems to see from Episode 1. There's a little bit of it, but it usually blends in pretty well and only shows up in high contrast bits (like black on a bright background). Plus, any DVD will look poor if it's blown up to the size of a theater screen.
It's quite evident on my calibrated Sony 36" HD-ready display...

Its too bad that will not be an hour long documentary like "The Beggining" but I can understand why. The documentary for Episode I was put together from 600 hours of raw footage. Edting all that together while trying to put together the rest of the DVD must have taken a long time, and since they seemed to try to get this disk out as quickly as possible so we wouldnt have to wait a year again, they probably just didnt have enough time. Still looks like a great disk though.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I do wonder that having the same release date will cut down on loss-leading prices for the LOTR set since Star Wars will be the clear loss leader candidate that day.

Lowell_B

Second Unit
:emoji_thumbsup: : The Digital transfer, The early release date, Solid extras.
:thumbsdown: : The full-screen release, Doesn't appear to have a doc similar to "The Beginning".
All in all, great news, and November 12th couldn't come soon enough.
Lowell
Edit: Damn thing posted before I was done. :)

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
I am hoping another deleted or extended scene is Dooku fighting Yoda with two sabers, like many of the leaked photos showed, Dooku using Anakins blue saber as well.

DanR

Supporting Actor
I think people are making the assumption that the documentaries are going to be small ones. In fact, in the information over at DVDfile.com it says that first one on "feature character animation" is "full length". So whereas "The Beginning" kind of took us all the way through the creation of Episode I, it looks like Lucas has added more documentaries (with similar type footage to "The Beginning"), but has chosen to focus more on specific parts of making a Star Wars movie.

That's fine with me. I've already seen what it takes to make one of these films from beginning to end on Episode I's disc, do I really need the exact same thing but for Episode II? I think it's kind of nice that these documentaries seem to be on more specific parts of the process. Maybe Episode III will have something else that is different in content as well.

Regards,
Dan

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
The fullscreen version is a bit of a surprise. I imagine it'll look pretty bad given that nearly half of the camera's resolution was thrown out to make it 2.35:1 and a fullscreen transfer would eliminate even more of that (unless the effects were done at 1.33:1 too, which I very much doubt). In other words, it'll be ugly as hell.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks