What's new

Official Playstation 3 Blu-Ray player Thread (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I got the "yellow light of death" last night. My wife told me it was telling me it's time to get a PS4. I'm probably going to have a friend do the repair though. If it doesn't wind up working, I guess I'll look into alternative machines. I'm not really interested in a PS4, since I look at my use of the PS3 and I've really only used it as a BD player. Gaming is negligible, so I suppose I'll wind up trading off my games or hold onto them until I can get a PS3 for super cheap down the road.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
It's a bit weird to ask this after all these years, but does the PS3 do "forced" i => p conversion? I mean the options are "automatic" or "video" - there's no "off" option:
"BD / DVD - Cinema Conversion
Set the playback method of video content recorded in interlace format. Video content can include video material (shows or sports programming on TV), film material (movies) or animation material (cartoon programming on TV). Set for the type of video content to be played. In most cases, set to [Automatic]."

( http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/bdsettings.html )

I recently watched some US 1080i concert titles (BD, from Eagle Rock), but my receiver said "1080p 60Hz". I believe PS3 will convert 1080i to 1080p and "1080p" is what my receiver is getting? Am I on the right track here?

(And just for the record, I have nothing against quality i=>p conversion. Just wondering here that why there's no "off" option and all that...)

Jachin99!@

Grip
Real Name
Jachin Adams
So i know this is probably and overplayed question and this thread is pretty old, but does the PS3 still serve as a respectable blu-ray player, or can i get a better picture quality out of a new reasonably priced player. The other option would be for me to install a blu-ray drive in my PC and a decent sound card. Which would be the best option without wasting my money?

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
Jachin99!@ said:
So i know this is probably and overplayed question and this thread is pretty old, but does the PS3 still serve as a respectable blu-ray player, or can i get a better picture quality out of a new reasonably priced player. The other option would be for me to install a blu-ray drive in my PC and a decent sound card. Which would be the best option without wasting my money?
The PS3 still gets firm ware updates from Sony. I have no complaints about using it as my only Blu-ray drive for years. It's worked with every single blu-ray I've ever tossed at it.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Just bought a PS3 superslim 12GB last week on clearance at Staples for PS3 exclusive games and backup BD 3D player (I have a Sony BDP-S580 as my main player). Really impressed with its BD playback, and will be adding a 320GB hard drive as soon as my drive bracket arrives from Amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks