What's new

Official Playstation 3 Blu-Ray player Thread (1 Viewer)

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
So this thread has been dead for a while. I'm not even sure if this was the thread we were using but the forums search isn't the same anymore and this is where it's going;

Anyways, the latest major software update for the PS3, v3.0, is available now for download.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Zack Gibbs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So this thread has been dead for a while. I'm not even sure if this was the thread we were using but the forums search isn't the same anymore and this is where it's going;
Anyways, the latest major software update for the PS3, v3.0, is available now for download.
Thank you so much for this information. I was wondering when a new update was coming. I'll try downloading it tomorrow.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Just out of curiosity, for those who had held off buying a PS3 for aesthetic reasons, has the slimmer, redesigned and price-dropped PS3 changed your mind?

mclva

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
I am buying a second PS3 this weekend.
It's a wonderful media player... I have all my content on my WHS server, and stream to the various rooms in my house. I have the PS3 in my den (main theater) and all my other rooms are PCs using an HD player like PowerDVD or VLC. I just finished up building a home gym, so I plan on putting the 2nd PS3 up there. I only wish I paid $289 for the first one /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Since this thread has resurfaced, what's the status of that new firmware upgrade that bricked some players? Is it safe now to download it, or should we still stay away from it?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I think 3.00 was the one (knock on wood it didn't happen to me). 3.01 is the current one out now and I've not heard anything bad about it.

wally

Second Unit
I've got 3.01 and am suffering freezing during Blu-Rays and Games. Hope it's a firmware issue. My son says the last two upgrades have had issues.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Sounds interesting, but where would the video "upload" go?? /img/vbsmilies/htf/confused.gif

_Man_

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I downloaded it last night with no troubles. Haven't tried the photo thing or the video editing thing though since I have neither media on my PS3. You will have to download additional software though the first time you use them, I backed out before doing so though.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I have been out of the country for close to a year, and now on my return, I discover I have an intermittent lip sync problem with Blu-ray discs on my PS3. My setup is as follows: PS3 connected via HDMI (for video) directly to a Samsung LN46B750, while the audio connection is optical digital (using the Sony PS3-branded heavy duty cable) to my venerable Denon AVR3805 receiver. Prior to leaving, I never observed any kind of lip sync issue. In fact, I was always pleasantly surprised at how rock-solid of a performer the PS3 was in this area. Yesterday, I sat down to watch the new BD of Jason and the Argonauts and the sync was so far off, I thought for sure the disc had some kind of bizarre mastering error. After trying unsuccessfully to tweak the audio delay settings on the receiver, I popped in another Blu-ray disc, Transformers (something I know played properly in the past) followed by, UP. In each instance, the lip sync was noticeably (and severely) off. Out of frustration, I did some Internet searching and learned that other folks have experienced lip sync issues with their PS3's, but there does not seem to be a consensus as to the cause or a solution. Some people are using optical digital cables, while others, HDMI, so the type of connection does not appear to be the issue. Some people have Samsung LCD's, while others have Sony, Panasonic, etc.

On a whim, I performed a factory reset on the Denon receiver. I also reluctantly updated the firmware on the PS3 (to v3.40) I had been putting it off so as to not lose the 'install other OS' feature. In addition, I checked my TV firmware and it is the most current version. I also unplugged and re-plugged the necessary audio/video cables at each end. About the only thing I didn't try is to reformat the PS3 drive and do a full system restore (which I will do if it will solve the problem).

I am stuck and frustrated. I honestly can't imagine what happened to cause this lip sync problem to manifest itself now...and not at some point in the past. I'd really appreciate it if any of you power users can point my in the right direction! Thanks in advance for any and all help with this.

Lastly, I apologize if this has already been covered somewhere in this massive thread. I started to skim it, but at 27 pages in length, I thought I'd be better off posting the question and giving the thread a bump at the same time...

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Can anyone here help with this problem I've got at the moment with playing Blu-rays on the PS3. Everything is connected to the TV and PS3 (including the HDMI cable). The PS3 will play video games (but not in HD), but will not play UK Blu-rays. An error message appears on screen:

This video cannot be played.
(8002997F)

Now a couple of nights ago my PS3 was playing UK Blu-rays like normal. Yesterday, I did put in the PS3 the US Blu-ray of The Boogens, on the off chance it would play it. And initially it looked like it would play (a small icon pic of The Boogens appeared on the main PS3 screen), until a message appeared on screen saying it wouldn't play. So I then tried a UK Blu-ray, and the above quoted error message appeared on screen.
Is there a solution to this problem, so I can get back to playing video games in HD and UK Blu-rays on the PS3?

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Turned out the PS3 only needed a system update and it was back to playing UK and region free Blu-rays.

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Jason Adams
Question to anyone that can answer...I have an OG 60 gig ps3 that conked out some time ago, yellow light of death. Lucky for me, a friend of mine sold me her ps3 for 100 because she wasn't using it. Is there a way to fix this problem, without trading it in to sony for a refurb slim?

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Originally Posted by Jason Adams /t/245992/official-playstation-3-blu-ray-player-thread/780#post_3981905
Question to anyone that can answer...I have an OG 60 gig ps3 that conked out some time ago, yellow light of death. Lucky for me, a friend of mine sold me her ps3 for 100 because she wasn't using it. Is there a way to fix this problem, without trading it in to sony for a refurb slim?
Yes... it requires you to take the whole unit part down to the motherboard. Remove the cooling device from the processor. With a heat gun in circular motions, go over the motherboard for a few minutes. This reflows the solder. Clean the cooling device and apply radio shack thermal compound, and reattach to processor. Button the unit back up and turn on. This is a temporary solution as the same thing will happen again in a few months. There are detailed videos on how to do this... search in you tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks