What's new

*** Official MAN ON FIRE Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
So does that mean that the 5 minute clip has spoilers? I just DL'd it but won't watch it if you say it contains big spoilers...

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Revenge is the only Tony Scott film I wasn't at least entertained by, but that has as much to do with the casting than anything else.

Raasean,
Hollywood may indeed be on a comic book kick, but its a lot like their usual temporary infatuation with stuff like disaster flicks, Shakespeare in a modern setting, or Tarantino-esque pulp crime movies. Hey, at least Disney is breaking new remake ground by pioneering the Theme Park ride adaptation. :)

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
No idea, but five minutes seems like a long time to avoid any spoilers.

I'm already sold on seeing the movie, don't need to take the chance with a five minute clip. But for those on the fence, perhaps its good.

John Doran

Screenwriter
depends what counts as being "the same" to you; this story is about an emotionally stunted, hardcore special forces cum navy seals cum black ops operative who is hired to guard a girl during a spate of kidnappings; despite his best efforts and natural affective distance, he (perhaps not surprisingly) comes to love her. so, when she is finally kidnapped, he tries to find her, and kills everyone who gets in his way.

the same, but also not the same. i think this has all the earmarks of being a way better movie than a man apart. denzel's character (from what little the trailer shows) strikes me as far, far more interesting a character than that played by vin.

but what do i know?

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Having seen the original, I'd say John is right on target. A Man Apart is more of a 'Punisher' type story, where a man has nothing left to lose and is just after vengence.

Man on Fire really caught me as being special because it had the main character personally attached to the abducted girl. And it wasn't as easy a setup as a movie like Ranson, where the hero as a parent is naturally attached, leading to some nice character development learning to open up to the young girl.

Still psyched

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Count me in too. Denzel is worth the price of admission in any movie he does. Even his lesser efforts like Out Of Time are watchable because of him.

Looking forward to this.:emoji_thumbsup:

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Now here's a critic I like :)

Did Weinberg post his rambles yet??

I even like the last picture in JB's review. And regarding the thespians of choice, he is dead right that Denzel is head and shoulders above his competition (though I do feel Uma did a great job towards the end of KBv2). It makes all the difference in the world.

Seeing it tomorrow, and pretty excited. Good crew, good cast, good idea.

Take care,
Chuck

John Doran

Screenwriter
well, i have to say, that was a thoughtful, even-handed, review. what's more, it was a review of the movie rather than of his reaction to it. which is a refreshing change of pace for me. most so-called "critics" make me sick.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I was gonna see this but Ive read alot of bad things about Scotts camera trickery that are too distracting.

Think Im gonna wait for video.

chris winters

Second Unit
is creasy a superman in this, or does it take a more realistic tone. I always lose a little interest when the hero is so blatently indestructable. Or when the bad guys are inexplainable stupid, or uncharacteristically inept.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Is this a discussion thread? 'Cuz I'd like to tell Chuck I think seeing the "masterpiece" speech in the trailer hurt the scene for you. I found it to be perfect.

In fact, if it wasn't for Scott's most overdone "stylization" I've ever seen (that's saying a LOT) in his career - I thought this was BY FAR the best film of the year so far. Even better than Vol. 2, and I loved Vol. 2.

Unfortunately, Patrick's reaction won't be rare. The Scott "touch" IS quite annoying in this film and even had my head hurting. It's going to pull a lot of people out of a film that is perfectly written and stunningly performed.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Oh...Chris, Creasy is anything but Superman. He's quite vulnerable.

But, he is one badass from hell, too. :)

BTW, despite a Creasy line about "revenge" and people calling this a revenge film - I think it is a redemption film. Much better stuff.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Yes, he is far from a Superman in this film. In fact, they manage to include a fair amount of recuperation that I found quite believable.

As for me, I've somehow got to figure out how to compare this to Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind when working on my top 10 at the end of the year. I'm certain they will both be high on the list, if not at the top.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Man on Fire" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Man on Fire" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks