What's new

Official iPhone 4 thread (1 Viewer)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Ron, as another data point, I pay about $84 a month (40 voice, 30 data, 5 text + various taxes), and I am eligible for the upgrade with $18 fee. I suspect my actual upgrade eligibility is Nov-Dec this year, but because of their promotion I'm getting it now. That extra $15 or so a month seems to be the difference in me getting there a bit faster than you.

Now, when I re-up I'm going to the $15 data plan, plus I have a new corporate discount that will be kicking in soon, making my monthly payment over $20 lower going forward. So it looks like I won't be upgrading next year.

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
The wait for pre-order is a long one for me and it's only 1 week long!. I am hoping to get two phones at the $15/month data plan and with corp discounts hopefully be around $80/month for both, which would just be awesome, but still have to shell out $400 for the phones. I have decided that I think I can live with 16gb, as lately I have not listened to music on my 16gb iPod touch, I probably wont on my iPhone either (just stream it over wi-fi). Be my first foray into the iPhone so should be fun!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm anxious too. It's sinking in how big this upgrade is. This isn't a $250 Tivo. This is a big upgrade: $1000+ in hardware, software and data plans. We've had PDAs for years and a laptop for a couple years, so we're not going from banging rocks to iPhone. But getting omnipresent web access feels like a paradigm shift to me. Like when I got my first cellphone; I look back and wonder how I got along without it.

Our plan is:

2 x 32GB iPhone (black)

2 x 15 MB data plan

I know I'll use 32GB -- I've got a 16GB nano filled and was really hoping for a 64 GB iPhone :) My wife, I have no idea what she needs. The 16GB might be more than enough, but I'd rather err on caution and buy too much memory than risk hindering her with the 16GB model. At only $100 more, it's not worth thinking about.

The 30 days following June 24 -- and what an anniversary present this is :D -- will have further figuring out and purchases: how to sync our calendars, do I need MobileMe, how to "share" applications, how to transfer her Palm PDA data to the iPhone, what chargers do we need for the house, car and travel?

And by July 24 it will be old hat and we can start lusting for the iPhone 5 rumors

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
I have one question, and no have not searched for the answer.

Once you get a new iphone, is the old one still operable as a more like an iPod, or does it not work at all once you no longer have it activated on the network?

Just curious If I can give these to the kids when iPhone 6 comes out and they can just use these to play games and such or if they just become bricks.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I've seen a few articles on the web that discuss the options for a used iPhone. They pretty much say, under certain conditions, you can use it as an iPod touch. That condition is that you leave the sim card in it and don't do a restore. But read these pages to get all the facts. I've never done this before, so I can't confirm.

http://artoftheiphone.com/2009/02/10/how-to-activate-a-used-iphone/#more-1480

http://www.macworld.com/article/134459/2008/07/old_iphone.html

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
There is some talk going around that Radio Shack

will be taking preorders for the iPhone and will give

you credit when you turn in your old 3GS.

One of the reports I heard was $275 credit for

a 3GS in good condition.

I have to look further into this. If anyone else

hears anything please let us know.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, that's true. I was in a Radio Shack last month asking about a battery for my Motorola Razr and talked about iPhones. I have a used one I bought from Craigslist and the guys their were pushing that I trade my iPhone in for the new one.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Here are the details..

http://radioshack.cexchange.com/online/home/index.rails

Only problem is that it looks like the exchange is done through
the mail and there will probably be a period of weeks without a

phone until the gift card is received for the trade-in.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Something else I just thought of....

When I bought the 3GS last year I didn't get it

at the discount price as I was already 1 year in

contract from the 3G #2 iPhone.

I paid $500-$600 last year. Now, I would think

that is not considered an AT&T discounted price.

Of course, I entered into a new 2-year contract.

Now a year later, based on the higher price I

paid on the 3GS shouldn't I be eligible for the

discounted price this time out?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein
Now a year later, based on the higher price I paid on the 3GS shouldn't I be eligible for the

discounted price this time out?

Ron, I can imagine the math would work out in your favor. You should call AT&T and talk to them about this. I would think that since your last phone was bought full fare, you could get a new subsidized phone with a reset of the two-year contract.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I wasnt going to buy a bumper

http://gizmodo.com/5561140/close+up-photos-of-the-iphone-4-bumper-case

But now I think i will.

http://gizmodo.com/5559977/first-broken-iphone-4-shows-new-glass-isnt-that-resistant?skyline=true&s=i

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Glass is very strong. But not very flexible. A bit too much bend, and it shatters. It also makes me wonder if the front glass isn't annealed to eliminate internal stress. Those shatters look a bit like what happens when such glass is broken. But my glass science is rusty.

I don't plan to get a case or a bumper. I think it's a shame to take the beautiful iDevice and hide it in an ugly silicone case. That could change though depending on reports of fragility or my usage (gym, lawnmowing, etc.)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Since you're discussing cases. I used a clear film made by Power Support for my 5G iPod. I really like that product and those kinds of products. They protect and allow the product to be seen.

When I get this phone, I see the big seller these days are the films made by Zagg; The Invisible Shield. I saw a set on my friend's iPhone 3g and I was surprised it has a texture, sort of orange peel look. I didn't like it. The film I used was crystal clear and smooth as glass. You could not tell it was there.

The Invisible Shield is great! But I don't intend to expose my iPhone to a grinder!

Anyone use a film on their iPhones they could recommend?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
geoDefense Lite: newly downloaded :)

Orbital Free: downloaded.

24 apps for a phone I don't have. Those are all free. Paid aps are on the wishlist, like PvZ -- which I am very excited about getting!

And that's part of the experience that kept me with the iPhone over the new Android phones: I can browse, search, wishlist, and even buy apps without even having a phone. It means I can make sure I the phone has apps I need and want. You can't do that with an Android; its marketplace requires a phone to browse.

That said, I hope the appStore is better designed on the iPhone than through iTunes. It's a mediocre interface, and lacking important sorting and searching options.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Anyone pre-ordered multiple iPhones? How'd it go?

I'm assuming that AT&T and Apple understand that some households have more than one cellphone :), and I'll be able to to buy two iPhones, for my wife and me. But based on reported memos and discussion at MacRumors, no one seems to have a clue about pre-ordering more than one iPhone.

Fingers crossed!

EDIT

Maybe not. From an AT&T Pre-order FAQ. One phone per *household*, ordered online. These people don't place much value on the sanctity of marriage: if I get an iPhone and my wife doesn't...well, it won't be pretty.

This may mean I need to an AT&T store to order the phones.

AT&T stores will sell one iPhone 4 per person for new customers, and one device per household for new orders placed online. Existing customers may purchase one per eligible telephone number online or through our stores.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Oh yeah: AppleCare or not for iPhones?

AppleCare bought through eBay? I see it listed for about 40% off. Is this legit?

Need to get figure out purchase details before Tuesday!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by DaveF

Anyone pre-ordered multiple iPhones? How'd it go?

I'm assuming that AT&T and Apple understand that some households have more than one cellphone :), and I'll be able to to buy two iPhones, for my wife and me. But based on reported memos and discussion at MacRumors, no one seems to have a clue about pre-ordering more than one iPhone.

Fingers crossed!

EDIT

Maybe not. From an AT&T Pre-order FAQ. One phone per *household*, ordered online. These people don't place much value on the sanctity of marriage: if I get an iPhone and my wife doesn't...well, it won't be pretty.

This may mean I need to an AT&T store to order the phones.
Radio Shack and best Buy and I think Walmart sells them too.

I'm not big on apple care for the iphone, it already has a one year limited warranty, as far as I know it just extends that to 2 years, I could be wrong on that.

Apple care is sold as a disc so you can buy it other placers for cheaper then Apple store.

Very important thing to know about the iphone is don't get it wet or have any moisture near it.

there are at least 2 moisture sensors in the iphone and if either gets tripped the Apple store will tell you the warranty is void due to the moisture sensor being "tripped".

If the sensor is tripped and the iphone doesn't work they will say sorry for your luck apple care or no apple care.

I had the first iphone for 13 months, during that 13th month it stopped working, dead.

Took it in, before they did anything with it he looked for one of the sensors and told me the phone was contacted by moisture or water.

I argued for 20 minutes that the phone was never immersed or anywhere near water, didn't matter.

Sorry for your luck.

Don't take it in the bathroom when geting washed, don't take it out of your pocket if it's raining.

My 3gs on the other hand, I have dropped into the dog water Bowl TWICE.
I quickly got it out and did what I had to dry it as fast as I could and there is no damage to the iphone and it works perfectly. so go figure.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks