What's new

NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS -- blu-ray restoration (1 Viewer)

retzev

Auditioning
Real Name
Justin
I've followed Darren Gross's NoDS restoration work with great interest for the better part of 10 yrs.
In 2002, when I began buying the 4-disc MPI sets, I immediately took an interest in NoDS, but decided not to watch it until the restoration of the 129 minute cut was complete, and it was given the proper release it deserves. I was rooting for the DS pilot rejected by WB in 2004, primarily because I believed we'd finally see the finishing touches on Gross's work. I was excited about the Burton/Depp film for exactly, and only, the same reason:
I want NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS properly restored and released. 
I'm deeply disappointed by WB's treatment of the title, and by extension, it's fans. I'm thankful that we have been given a visually superior version of the inferior 94 minute cut. I bought it and watch it, but it's a bittersweet treat. It's incomplete, carelessly released, and only increases one's longing for 129 minute cut.
DS fans are a resilient lot. We've been asking for the completion of this restoration for more than a decade. I will not give up hope that WB will someday produce a NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS release that they can be proud of, one that fans can buy and buy again without feeling frustrated and deeply slighted. 

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Well, everyone, you might wish to take SUPERMAN 2 as an example here: For many years, fans demanded of Warner Bros. that the original Richard Donner cut be made available. And, for many years, they adamently refused. But it happened, didn't it? There has to be some solidarity among fans, including letter-writing (yes, actual physical letters) campaigns, forum postings such as there are here, phone calls, whatever.
Just a thought.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I am currently in the 12th Volume of the original series. I've never seen either film. I do find it interesting that MPI has released several episodes with disclaimers regarding the technical deficiencies of the episodes and fans have no qualms about that. They want the ENTIRE show on DVD. Yet this movie seems to just get dumped "as is" with no regard for the fans. Very sad....

retzev

Auditioning
Real Name
Justin
Indeed. And especially considering most of the work is already done. I don't understand why WB wouldn't take an extra step or two.
I've heard they usually aren't ones to license their titles to boutique labels, either. Hopefully this might change.
Twighlight Time, Synapse, Blue Underground, Scream Factory, hell, Criterion, there are so many great labels could really do a number with this.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
I wonder if perhaps this project could be completed under the auspices of Warner Archive? I know they don't have the budget of WHV proper, but they have been doing some wonderful quiet restoration work on their own, such as liberating THE PHYNX from oblivion, which required a lot of music clearance and research as to what the "final" cut of the movie had even been. Maybe if sales of the exising DS DVDs and Blu-Rays are respectable enough, they'd allow WA to put out Darren's restorations as a niche item.

retzev

Auditioning
Real Name
Justin
See if you can get your hands on the screenplay for NoDS (It's available, along with the HoDS screenplay, in The Dark Shadows Movie Book edited by Darren Gross) and give it a read-through before watching the film. Beautiful stuff. And a terrible loss if Darren's the only one who ever gets to see it!

Dave MJ

Second Unit
Are there any updates or new developments regarding this? Or is it completely dead in the water?

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
It's dead. Dead as disco. If it had any hope at all, it would have happened to coincide with the Burton film and the release of the original films on dvd and blu last year.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
It's dead.

Warner Brothers has the rights, but George Feltenstein turned his back on the restoration of both films. He refuses to respond to either the professionals or the fans. He won't even acknowledge the public's interest. He's just not interested.

The current NIGHT blu-ray is riddled with jump cuts, missing frames, audio drop-outs, out of sync music, and overlapping dialog from cut footage, problems the VHS and laser disc releases didn't have. Feltenstein won't admit to making these mistakes, either.

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
It being the 50th ANNIVERSARY of the TV series and franchise this year, Mr. Feltenstein (or whoever's currently in charge of WB Home En't) really ought to reconsider his attitude concerning the films - especially "Night" - if he hasn't yet. It would be nice to have something special for this Halloween, if not before.. If they just knew how many fans out there would be ready, willing + able to sink their teeth into a 'restored director's cut' of "Night"....
One can dream, at least, for now.

Never thought I'd say this, but if only these films had been with MGM - as they have no problem sublicensing their films, at least we'd have a fair shot at a Special Edition of one if not both the movies with more/ better extras. The only third-party label I'm aware has ever licensed from WB is Criterion and they, ofcourse, mostly go for the crème de la crème.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
It being the 50th ANNIVERSARY of the TV series and franchise this year, Mr. Feltenstein (or whoever's currently in charge of WB Home En't) really ought to reconsider his attitude concerning the films - especially "Night" - if he hasn't yet. It would be nice to have something special for this Halloween, if not before.. If they just knew how many fans out there would be ready, willing + able to sink their teeth into a 'restored director's cut' of "Night"....

Never thought I'd say this, but if only these films had been with MGM - as they have no problem sublicensing their films, at least we'd have a fair shot at a Special Edition of one if not both the movies with more/ better extras. The only third-party label I'm aware has ever licensed from WB is Criterion and they, ofcourse, mostly go for the crème de la crème.

How many copies do you believe would be sold of a restored version, presuming that elements service?

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
How many copies do you believe would be sold of a restored version, presuming that elements service?

Not to say 'Dark Shadows' has quite the monumental fan base as, say, "Star Trek", but they certainly number in the millions and are at least as rabid/ devoted. Among fans, even casual, a restored version of "Night" has been long-awaited and would definitely be an event. So (to answer the question), it may not fly off the shelf instantly, but I think it would sell - esp. if kept fairly low-priced - quite well, at least the first few months following street date.

On the other hand, this might make a great Warner Archive Blu...

Last edited:

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I thought the Lyndhurst Estate was an important "character" in the film, and added a lot to the production of both films. I would buy this if done right.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

The handling of this title predates any involvement by Mr. Feltenstein.

I would bet that negative trims and deletions hit the trash decades ago. Masters may or may not include the missing footage, but if they do, the next problem would be audio, especially if the film was cut before dub

If I had to put a budgetary number on this, I'd bet over 500k.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

The handling of this title predates any involvement by Mr. Feltenstein.

I would bet that negative trims and deletions hit the trash decades ago. Masters may or may not include the missing footage, but if they do, the next problem would be audio, especially if the film was cut before dub

If I had to put a budgetary number on this, I'd bet over 500k.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks