What's new

NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS -- blu-ray restoration (1 Viewer)

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
RAH is probably the last person around here who needs to repeat himself to be heard ... haha :D

and yes, most of the cut footage was found. It's basically just a matter of clean-up/ restoration, and determining what should and shouldn't go back into the film and where. For that, ofcourse, the original script and any notes the director left behind should assist more than amply.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
RAH is probably the last person around here who needs to repeat himself to be heard ... haha :D

and yes, most of the cut footage was found. It's basically just a matter of clean-up/ restoration, and determining what should and shouldn't go back into the film and where. For that, ofcourse, the original script and any notes the director left behind should assist more than amply.

The key to any puzzle, if there is one, should be found in the lab timing sheets.

Darren Gross

Supporting Actor
There's no real puzzle, in regard to continuity- it's not the kind of restoration that would be assembled from trims and outs or unedited raw footage. A 35mm picture element exists of the completely finished longer cut, with all the additional scenes and extensions in the order they are supposed to go.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Just a matter of the studio making the decision to do it..

Or someone coming up with an alternate solution, agreeable to the studio.

This film has many fans, but at the studio level, if funds were to be used for Dark Shadows, Gigi, or 2001, where would you place your limited asset protection investment?

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
Or someone coming up with an alternate solution, agreeable to the studio.

Yes. Actually, I think studios should consider recruiting the assistance of FANS of this and other films/ franchises more often.
I was on a "Star Trek"-devoted website recently (as I'm a fan) where a fan demonstrated a remastered version of "Star Trek V: The Final Frontier" - generally considered the worst of the series - complete with new digital effects to replace the original sub-par (for their OWN time) effects and revised ending (the original ending confused/ disappointed many), which apparently the director William Shatner has seen and approved of. Unfortunately, the studio (Paramount) has little to no interest in it...

This film has many fans, but at the studio level, if funds were to be used for Dark Shadows, Gigi, or 2001, where would you place your limited asset protection investment?

Obviously, either Gigi or (most likely) 2001..
Guess NODS' best possible chance would have tobe a sudden (or anticipated) major resurgence in interest in the series/ franchise, thanks to a new series or movie, comic book series or other revival... or, if we're REALLY lucky, it's 50th anniversary. :)

Last edited:

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
MGM may be quietly-thriving lately (if you believe Mr. Barber & friends), but that doesn't mean they couldn't be bought out/ taken over at any time in next year or two. Until that happens, I fear no classic they control - not this film, not "The Alamo", not 'The Great Escape', not 'Fiddler on the Roof' - is safe.
Of course, I say this with the hopes that, if + when this should happen, whoever takes over isn't even worse.in their disregard for their assets (i.e. makes Barber look like Robert Harris by comparison). :wacko:

Last edited:

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
MGM may be quietly-thriving lately (if you believe Mr. Barber & friends), but that doesn't mean they couldn't be bought out/ taken over at any time in next year or two. Until that happens, I fear no classic they control - not this film, not "The Alamo", not 'The Great Escape', not 'Fiddler on the Roof' - is safe.
Of course, I say this with the hopes that, if + when this should happen, whoever takes over isn't even worse.in their disregard for their assets (i.e. makes Barber look like Robert Harris by comparison). :wacko:

Warner Bros has owned Night Of Dark Shadows since 1986.

Waldo Lydecker

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David N. Heathman
Has Darren or anyone else brought this to Marty Scorsese’s attention? He loves a “dark horse” project and knows everybody! One well placed call by him…

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Has Darren or anyone else brought this to Marty Scorsese’s attention? He loves a “dark horse” project and knows everybody! One well placed call by him…
Same Problem.

$$$

Last I heard, WB is cutting jobs.

Robert Saccone

Premium
The restoration of the longer cut of Dark Shadows was discussed in the podcast Terror at Collinwood, Episode 5. . I listened to the episode a while ago but IIRC all cut footage has been obtained and reintegrated, Bob Cobert provided the missing music cues (before he passed), and an actress has provided voice over for Grayson Hall’s missing audio.
If you are a Dark Shadows fan Terror at Collinwood is a really good podcast on its own. Worth a listen.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks