What's new

NFL 2008 Regular Season Discussion Thread (2 Viewers)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I was watching before the game when WDIV was running that scroll. I couldn't stop laughing. It took a lot of guts to run that as an affiliate for the network that just hired the boob.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

John,

No, Matt Millen is gone. The biggest worry is that Stafford or Sanchez will be the newest Lion. If that happens, it means that the boneheaded owner pressured the GM and coach to take a QB to sell tickets instead of taking a player that can really help -- like a left tackle, linebacker or pass rushing DE. The same thing supposedly happened when Detroit took Joey Harrington. Ford rarely influences the draft, but when he does you can bet he'll be wrong.

The other reasons Stafford or Sanchez would be a bad pick for Detroit:
  • Starting QB's can be found other ways than with high first round draft picks. See playoff teams Arizona, Tennessee, Carolina, Miami and Minnesota, as well as "almost" playoff teams Dallas, New Orleans, NY Jets, New England.
  • Quality left tackles almost never become available via free agency or a trade. If you want a quality LT, you have to draft one.
  • Both QB's are underclassmen. Just about every successful 1st round draft pick QB I can think of used all his college eligibility before entering the draft.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
BTW, doing further research I have found two more QB's who started in multiple Super Bowls and are not in the Hall of Fame -- Joe Theisman and Craig Morton. Morton, in fact, was the only QB to start Super Bowls for two different teams (Dallas and Denver) until Warner did it this season (Rams, Arizona).

I cannot find any instance of a QB starting in three or more Super Bowls and not being in the Hall, though. That bodes well for Warner.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I thought we were talking about QB's that were the starting QB on two SB winning teams that that are not in the HOF which is the case with Plunkett and now Big Ben.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Warner will be in, I have no doubt about it.

As far as the Lions go, while I agree getting a good LT would be nice, the problem is Backus. You can't move him to Guard, he would get plowed there, and you can't move him to RT since Gosder Cherilus is there and shows good potential. You can't eat his salary as he is paid way too much. It has to be a defensive end, or LB IMHO.

IF they want to take a qb I have a feeling that Stafford or Sanchez will be this years Aaron Rodgers and will fall down the first round to the Lions second pick. If that doesn't happen and they don't take a qb, then the 09' qb is already on the roster. They didn't cut Culpepper or Kitna when cuts started, so that is very curious. Either way, much will change with the combine. Football truly is a year round sport.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
During the initial discussion, it just worked out that the two non Hall of Fame QB's we thought of that started multiple SB's happened to be 2-0 in the game. I didn't realize that there were two others that started in two games. FYI, Theisman was 1-1, and Morton was 0-2.

I agree that it's certainly is more interesting to state that only Jim Plunkett has started and won two Super Bowls and not made the Hall of Fame, Robert.

Starting in three or more SB's has guaranteed election so far. Only Brady and Warner fit this criteria among active players. Brady is a lock, while Warner's chances of getting in are very good, IMO.

So, I guess Big Ben needs to get there one more time in his career to guarantee that spot in Canton. ;)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As a Raider fan, I knew about Theisman's SB loss.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

My only problem with Warner is I wish he had another 2-3 great seasons. Just look at his career and you see the inconsistency there.

Kurt Warner Stats, News, Photos - Arizona Cardinals - ESPN

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Warner is definitely an interesting case. He really only had two great years with the Rams, one great one with Arizona and one good season each with the Rams and Cards.

However, he also has two NFL MVP awards, one Super Bowl MVP, three SB starts (one win), and holds career Super Bowl passing records for yards and TDs.

Some QB's get in based more on their postseason success -- Bradshaw, Aikman, etc. -- while others get in based completely on long term regular season success -- Marino, Fouts, Moon, etc.

Warner has shorter term regular season success, plus impressive post season success (although another Super Bowl win would have been helpful, IMO). Considering how well he is liked, though, it will probably be enough to get him into the Hall. He's definitely not a lock, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks