What's new

New record for broken street date? (1 Viewer)

Patrick G

Second Unit
How come no one here, who claims to have it, has reviewed the disc yet.
I have reviewed the quasi-easter egg on disc 1, as well as the packaging. I just haven't had time to sit down and watch the movie yet. I'm a full time student and full time employee, so aside from my days off, I don't have a lot of free time for viewing, especially 4 discs worth. If you doubt I actually have it, you'll just have to wait until release date to verify my previous comments regarding the packaging and pan & scan easter egg.

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
Does anyone know if this new Vista Series Super Special Collectors Whoopdie Doo version, or whatever it's called, will be the only new version out, or will there also be a newer version of the Gift Box that I've seen at Wal*Mart, which has some other kind of extra bonus shi..., I mean stuff...in it?

Marty Christion

Stunt Coordinator
Well, since no one else wants to post their review of the Director's Cut, I guess I'm first:

It is the exact same movie, with a few shots of added gore in the attack sequence (Cuba's captain has his entrails spilling into his hands, a bloody head rolls across the deck of a ship, various body parts litter the hospital), and about 2 minutes of Alec Baldwin talking with the boys before taking off for Tokyo. I didn't notice any differences in the love story. It's been a long time since I saw the PG-13 version, so there may be other differences that others can chime in on. But it wasn't until the attack sequence that my wife went "That's new!".

The bonus materials I've seen are incredible, and worth the cost of the set by themselves. For those of you who felt the only redeeming part of the film is the first 20 minutes of the attack sequence, you can dissect it for hours with a bunch of angles and commentaries.

And speaking of commentary, I've listened to some of the Ben Affleck commentary, and it is the funniest commentary I've ever heard! (Apparently, he hates the movie more than I do!) BA's commentary may go down as one of the best ever. He and Josh Hartnett say some seriously funny things about working with Michael Bay, and BA's story about pointing out similarities between PH and Armageddon is priceless:

BA: "You know, this scene where we lighten the bombers is just like when we went through the armadillos in Armageddon."

BA in MB voice: "Shut up Ben. This isn't like that at all. It's totally different!"

There is also an Easter Egg on the second disc that is, well, you just have to see it...

And the pan and scan demo is very cool as well.

It's just staggering to think of the time and effort that went into making this awesome set for, what I consider, a mediocre film.

God bless that wonderful, street-date-breaking, brick and mortar store!

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
This set sounds worth it for the commentary alone.........
It's been awhile since I've listened to it but I think Affleck did pretty much the same thing on the Armageddon commentary (i.e., making fun of the movie). Just when my stock in Affleck goes down (*cough*Sumofallfears*cough*) I hear news like this that brings it back up. ;)

Timothy Alexander

Second Unit
I usually look foward to Ben's movies on DVD just to hear his commentaries on them. They always seem to make up for his bad acting more times than not.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Is anyone interested in picking me up a copy of this DVD from their local B&M store? I will gladly pay for shipping and a couple bucks extra.

-Dean-

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
As I mentioned before and no one seems to want to answer...
There was an original thread that got magically deleted with no explanation. Why this post, with the same subject matter, got chosen as the main post is beyond me.

I would hate to spend time writing the same info if this thread is also going to get deleted. Why waste the time?

I think if you do a search, you can still get to the original thread.

I will add this...

The attack scene is 100% more brutal. This isn't a few seconds trimmed to make it a PG13 film, it is like night and day.

Say what you will about Bay, he directed that action very well.

Doug

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Say what you will about Bay, he directed that action very well.
Bay knows how to direct his action. All he needs to do is a 90 minute action movie. Who cares about plot, romance, character development (which are three items that bog down his films :))... just give me 90 minutes full of car chases and people blowing other people away and I'll plop down my $6. :)

Luis S

Supporting Actor
I also would like to ask if some one can pick this up for me as well.Id cover shipping and cost of course,please drop me a line at [email protected]
Thanks in Advance,
Luis S

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Is there a reason we can't all just wait until the actual street date? :confused:

Kevin Linke

Agent
None really.

And for someone who would be willing to sell me an advanced copy of this tremedous set, my EMail address is above in an earlier post.

thanks.

Chris Xolotl

Second Unit
Slightly off topic;

But I got a screener DVD of some movie (forgot the name)...ten days after it's theatrical release.

Someone help me, I already passed it off.. it opened the same day as Spiderman and disappeared into a black hole.

Such a poor marketing decision... sigh.

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
I agree, Pearl Harbor would have been perfect as 2 hour movie (90 minutes is too short to explain the event).

He was obviously looking to recreate the Titanic magic and forgot to hire a screenwriter or casting agent.

Also, if you take out the romance, you have a suped up version of Tora Tora Tora.

Superbit-Schmooperbit, this is the transfer to beat this year. It is rock solid from beginning to end.

Another great thing about Bay... he hates Super35!

Doug

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Well, Bay is often taken to task for his directing of non-action sequences, but he is rarely praised for doing what very few directors (read: none, really) do for us. He is using a big film of his to explain widescreen vs. pan and scan. Michael Bay is trying to help the situation. And I appreciate that.

And look forward to this set. David Prior rocks, and while the film may not have been a favorite, it is beautiful to look at, and a worthy spin from time to time.

Take care,
Chuck

And the Die Hard film rereleases contained a P&S/Widescreen explanation as well. What do these DVD's have in common...David Prior. Hmmmmmmm...

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
...He is using a big film of his to explain widescreen vs. pan and scan. Michael Bay is trying to help the situation. And I appreciate that.

And look forward to this set. David Prior rocks...
And perhaps it is really DAVID PRIOR, fellow HTFer that he is, who we should thank for that WS vs FS demo! After all, during the post-Wonka era here on HTF, he has been in attendance while we all screamed that DVDs ought to come standard with such a demo.

David, if appopriate, [rant]THANK YOU![/rant]

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I have no doubt David had his hand in the WS/FF educational bit, however, Michael Bay is adamant about Widescreen. He's probably the most vocal director I know on the subject. Speilberg used to be, but he's since released pan and scan editions of just about all of his big films to DVD (save for SPR). I think Scorsese and Coppola are pretty adamant too, but I tend to see Bay speaking out in commentary, in interviews, and anywhere else he can whenever a film of his is coming to home video.
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: Michael Bay
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: David Prior

Alex Morrow

Stunt Coordinator
You know what's strange, this "major store" has it listed on their web site for 22.88 and they're selling it for 28.88, What do you think my chances are (if I find a store with a copy) that they'll accept the website price?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks